First Lace KAL..

mamaoso

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, adirtyspoon. Welcome to Branching Out! Both are gorgeous colors. I like B. :D

:lol

What color is your winter coat? Would one of these go better with it than the other? Which is your personal best color? If you need 5 votes all for the same color, you might have to toss a coin, LOL. How about choosing one color for your first Branching Out and the other for your second?

I started a early this afternoon and have made it through one complete repeat of the chart. I don't know what the rest of you are doing but knowing how horribly inattentive I am and how difficult it is to recover from lace (I have dabbled in it a little) I will be using a lifeline every time a full repeat is completed. That way no matter whatever crazy thing I do my scarf should be safe at least that far.

One question: I noted that Eunny Jang recommends a knitted-on cast on rather than a "sling-shot" (long-tail) cast on because the knitted is nice and stretchy to block well with lace. As I look at the five garter stitch rows I am wondering how important a knitted cast on would be for Branching Out. I'm not too crazy about how the very next row after a knitted cast on looks and so I did the long tail instead but... should I have?

I got my yarn today!!! :clap Need to finish up on a birthday gift before I can start.. Finished the baby things today... Almost ready to start..:crocheting

I like the knitted cast-on. Sometime I use the long-tail with double needles.. But with size 8 needles, think I'll go with a knitted cast-on.

Is it OK if I jump in on this KAL? I have had this pattern queued for awhile now and just noticed that I had two skeins of Luna from Elann.com in Liquid Teal that I've been dying to use! This would be a great pattern to use it on. I can't wait to get started, I might have to cast on when the kids go to bed! :D

Hello and welcome, Hazlecreek. Your yarn is beautiful and will make a gorgeous scarf! I'm so glad to see some more people coming in on this KAL. Hooray!

Once I kind of got into the rhythm tonight it has been going OK. I might make another Branching Out in some better yarn than what I'm playing with now. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of very nice yarns without buying more which means either a trip out of town or an Internet order.

Neither yarn works, too thin. Found some Karabella LaCampo in my stash, too thin and didn't want to waste it on this cause someday it will be my 90 dollar sweater haha.

So I'll be using Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn. Didn't want to use cheap stuff, but I'll have to. Maybe I can get ahold of some mohair in the next few days.

Welcome to the KAL Hazelcreek & Sorry adirtyspoon I didn't welcome you just voted on your yarn..

anyhoo, Last night i couldn't resist, I started last night while on my nebulizer.

th_100_2329.jpg

th_100_2330.jpgBoth are click-able

So what do you think? Stay with the 8's or go bigger???

mamaoso , I like the second one :yes

Well I tried to be happy with the pink one but .:no I kept making mistakes :oops

so I dug up from my stash some Patons Grace "spearmint" .. so here's what it looks like after 10 rows .:tup I and I did not make any mistakes :clap

001-2.jpg

Mamaoso, I like the lacier one, too.

Ana, I'm glad you found a yarn which is working for you. Are you using a lifeline?

adirtyspoon, it can really be hard to find a yarn which is just right. Hope you have it now. I've never worked with mohair but hear it is impossible to frog.

My DK yarn was working fine but I really wanted to make it in smaller yarn, so I dug out some sock yarn I've had for several years and will never use for socks. It's a little more challenging but that's fine. Just like learning to crochet with fine threads, it will help me get used to smaller yarns to go down a size for this knitting project.

The pictures were the same but at different angles. Couldn't really see the color like in #1.

adirtyspoon~ Yarn sounds pretty..

Goldkeeper ~ Yea, lifeline does sound a bit hard.. But not... Pretty color yarn.

HomekeepingGran ~ I have tons of sock yarn... I have been using it on scarves and shawls. Maybe next year will be The year of Socks..:lol

Hazelcreek~ I'm drooling.....Love the yarn..And the color.

Not liken the k3tog.... I tend to lose a stitch.. Have to pay attention when I do that one so I get all 3 stitches on the needle.:lol

BranchingOutDKcream.jpg Branching Out - DK acrylic in a cream color. This was easy to work with but I'm not especially crazy about the fabric. I wanted it lacier.

BranchingOutSockburgandy.jpg Branching Out - KnitPicks Essentials Merino Sock yarn. This is actually burgandy, not red, but you could see the stitch definition better in this somewhat washed-out shot. For several reasons I am choosing to use a smaller yarn than DK but the DK was great to learn the pattern with. You can really see the lifeline in this picture.

Both samples are done on KnitPicks Options, size 7 needle.

It just occurred to me to share something which some of you may have already done. The stitch count varies from row to row but I counted up the correct ending stitch count for each row:

Row 1: you should finish with 25 stitches between the 3 garter stitches on each end = 31 stitches total

Row 3: finish with 25 stitches between the 3 garter stitches on each end = 31 stitches total

Row 5: finish with 25 stitches between the 3 garter stitches on each end = 31 stitches total

Row 7: finish with 21 stitches between the 3 garter stitches on each end = 27 stitches total

Row 9: finish with 19 stitches between the 3 garter stitches on each end = 25 stitches total

If my count is off I know to back up and correct somewhere on the row. I hope this helps someone else, too.

Yea, I notice the count on the even numbered rows changing..

I like the burgundy color, too.

Yep, watching a good show and counting isn't my strong suit either... I did the same thing last night. So I put it down and picked up some mindless knitting..

Yep, watching a good show and counting isn't my strong suit either...

This may account for me having to restart this blasted thing over three times now!:lol I keep losing count and can't seem to find where I've messed up. I think my yarn has a lot to do with it. I may try this with another yarn first and then go back to the Luna later. :think

I'm going to tink the scarf that's been sitting in my WIP basket for a few months and start over again. :) I'll post a photo of the yarn I'm using once I have it all re-wound. I have the pattern printed out, and plan to cast on a new attempt tonight after my son is asleep. I was doing fine pattern wise, but just put it down after a few repeats and never finished it.

Best to just start over and try again!

Hugs! Juli

Hi, Juli! Welcome to Branching Out! What yarn will you use?

Sometimes I seems to be able to back out of an error and corrrect and sometimes I just seem to foul it up worse. I started putting in a second lifeline after finishing Row 5 since most of my problems (not all) seem to be on Row 7. There was too much ripping all the way from Row 7 to my only lifeline on Row 1 because I couldn't correct at the right spot. :eek I mean, how many times do I want to start this particular repeat anyway, LOL?

I'm not exactly glad the rest of you are having trouble, too, but... it does make me feel better to know I'm not the only one!

Carla ,

I have never used a lifeline so I don't know how to do it ..I was looking at knitting help.com to see how it's done :think

sheesh I just watched the video boy that was easy..:lol

:D I was wondering the exact same thing! I just watched the video and :blush it is pretty easy... Good idea too. I plan to get my scarf on the needles soon - I just need to finish an afghan for my niece's birthday first.

A lifeline is the only way I'll be able to make this scarf! I can't recognize what's happening if when I have big trouble with this lace. Who knows which stitch goes back onto the needle and then exactly how does it hook back on? Mysteries abound. Simply put, I can't read this knitting like stockinette. Which leads me to my next question.

Deep breath: I would prefer to knit two halves and join them in the center back with kitchener stitch. Oh, Mama-ooooosooo? Yooooohoooo? Oh, Great Lace Guru, have you kitchenered lace before? :wink

HomekeepingGran ~ Yes I have. I have done both sides at one time then Kitchener stitch them together..

Great :idea . I'm only on the 5th or 6th repeat I may start over with both sides.. then you have the leaves going in the same direction on both sides.thDUHsmiley-1.gif.. thThankYou1.gif

craftimama ~ Welcome to the Kal. Just jump right in, we are starting early. And me - It looks like I'm starting over....:)

econ-nerd ~Yea, I'm finishing up a birthday present for nephew. I bought a fleece panel with Dinosaurs on it and crocheting around it.. He is going to be 4 and is dinosaur crazy. So I made him a few dinosaurs puzzles out of wood.

Lifelines-----I've been using on after every repeat.. I don't make a mistake. If I don't put one in I make a mistake... :think

Archived