First Lace KAL..

mamaoso

Oh Carla I hope your hubby feels better..:yes I made my hubby go to the doctors yesterday and he has to get an operation to fix his hernia soon before it gets worse.:(..He is stubborn when it comes to going to doctors :angry I was just showing how pretty the jacket was, that is still way to advance for me.. mamaoso the vest is cute too :yes ..The Alix's Prayer Shawl or Hypotenuse fine with me too . I too have to find a yarn that won't make me break out in hives :blush I like natural silk or a cotton blend . I know I have to try Knit-Picks selection of cotton yarns . ..I may use some of my tax refund :yay to pick a couple of yarns ..I like ..:yes

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh Carla I hope your hubby feels better..:yes I made my hubby go to the doctors yesterday and he has to get an operation to fix his hernia soon before it gets worse.:(..He is stubborn when it comes to going to doctors :angry I was just showing how pretty the jacket was, that is still way to advance for me.. mamaoso the vest is cute too :yes ..The Alix's Prayer Shawl or Hypotenuse fine with me too . I too have to find a yarn that won't make me break out in hives :blush I like natural silk or a cotton blend . I know I have to try Knit-Picks selection of cotton yarns . ..I may use some of my tax refund :yay to pick a couple of yarns ..I like ..:yes
Well, I think I wasn't really suggesting Hypoteneuse but just showing that I have made something similar to Alix's Prayer Shawl. It's not a free pattern, either, and I guess I figured we would look at one of the many gorgeous free ones on the web.

Ana, I am so sorry about your husband's hernia. Mine had that done (the same hernia) three times over the course of about 25 years before a surgeon finally put in a mesh to keep it from tearing loose again. I'm glad you persuaded your man to see a doctor. Men don't want to slow down sometimes but age has a way of doing it for them.

KnitPicks has excellent prices for basic, good quality yarns. Let me forewarn you that sometimes they are quite slow about getting the yarn from their house to yours — two weeks is fairly typical unless you pay for speedy shipping. If you think that is what you want to use next, you might better order soon, assuming we start another KAL before long. Another excellent vendor to check is elann. Good prices for name brand yarns. Service seems good, too. Oh, and just for fun you might look at their numerous free patterns — some stunners in there!

P.S. I started thinking about it last night and wondered how Kiri might be for a next project? A lot of new lace knitters choose it for a first shawl, too. goody2shoes used it as one of her first lace projects. She shows it off finished here. Maybe she would weigh in for us a little bit. (Wow, that came across as me reeeealllly pushing Kiri. I'm just trying to provide a little background info. Sorry.)

Your Hypoteneuse turned out beautiful!! Great job!!

Yea, If ya'll want to do another KAL. Kiri is pretty,too.. I like the Blue Jean Shawl,too.

I know about KnitPicks being slow... I put in an order on Tuesday we'll see how long it takes to get here.. I ordered some yarn from Knitting- Warehouse yesterday and I bet that gets here before KnitPicks..:lol

Another pretty shawl..I have ordered from Knit-picks their needles and books and I have gotten them in five days sometimes they arrived in 3days .They use smart post to ship mine stuff , and a lot of times it's been free shipping since I spend over $50 bucks when I order..:yes Carla I checked elann's website and I think I might order from them I liked that they had a lot more cotton and silk yarns..:clap

Not me, My last order took over 2 weeks.

I aways order from them cos' I love their stuff, but I know that I can't be in any rush.

I ordered some DPN in size 7 and 9. Didn't really want the 8 inch lenght but ordered anyway. Found a set of bamboo on amazon 1-11 6 inch 5 per size. for $18. So I ordered those and love them!! The KnitPicks well I'm adding those to a SWAP package.. Anyhoo what I was going to say is that I ordered the bamboo a week after I ordered the KnitPicks and I got the bamboo 3 days before the KnitPicks arrived.:think

Maybe they just don't like us here in TX..:lol

Glad you liked what you saw at elann, Ana. A lot of people buy from them and are pleased so I hope you are, too.

I don't think it's just Texas, mamaoso. There is a thread somewhere here on C'ville about KnitPicks slow service and yesterday when I was into their site they were begging people to be patient with their service right now. I don't know what is going on with them but something is making them even slower than usual.

I'm lazing along with this scarf. I've done about a third of the repeats needed on the second half, that's all. I think I shall get some knitting time in today though so maybe that will push me a bit further along.

And I'm considering what yarn to order for our next project. I think I want a nice, silvery grey — pale, pale — to go with my silvering hair. Maybe an alpaca or alpaca blend? Something soft. I don't think I'm ready for laceweight yet but there are tons of lovely fingering weight yarns out there. If we're headed for a shawl it I can guesstimate how much to order, I suppose.

The more I look at shawl/lace patterns the more excited I get. This is going to be so fun. Our Lace Project for 2009. Thank you, mamaoso for holding our hands as we take our baby steps through this!

I haven't been doing anything but knitting along with you two.:)

I'm going to start another Thread to see what we all want to do next for our project.

I'm rolling right along with my scarf. Both sides are growing. Yesterday was a good knitting day.

I ordered my yarn for on of my BIL's Denver Broncos afghan. Made one a Dallas Cowboy/Betty Boop for one now Big D wants an afghan. So I just got it designed want I want it to look like and got the yarn ordered.. Hubbie asked if I can have it done by his birthdaythraspberry.gif?t=1232815024. Yea, right.... It will be close enough..:lol

I remember somewhere that Knit-Picks was having storage issues..that they where fixing it... :think They have not send out our W2 from my husband's work yet so ordering will have to wait a bit :(..I did not pick up the scarf at all :angry I was being a personal chauffeur yesterday for hubby and daughter ;) Hubby going away tomorrow for a couple of days to a Arborist Convention , I'll miss him but I'll be knitting without interuptions :yay

Wellllllll... all that knitting time I thought I would have today? Ha! My husband is moving his office down the hall and I volunteered to help him, thinking I would have an hour or so of work for him and then hang out, knitting, at his office today. I don't regret a minute of it because I KNOW it really helped him but I was busy moving files from one set of drawers to another the whole time.

But it sounds like everyone is having time issues, so I'm not going to worry about it. It will be finished when it is finished. :knit

Very glad you are putting up another thread for the next KAL, mamaoso!

ana, I hope you are able to make your order soon!

Yea, Hubbie is still waiting for his w-2. I got one of mine, but waiting for the other one..

Hope they send them out quick.. Then you can get your order in..

Going to go and get some knitting done. Going out for dinner tonight with DD and DGS. I got out voted I guess we are going to Red Lobster.. I don't eat anything that comes out of the water so that was not my choice.:lol

Yea, Hubbie is still waiting for his w-2. I got one of mine, but waiting for the other one..

Hope they send them out quick.. Then you can get your order in..

Going to go and get some knitting done. Going out for dinner tonight with DD and DGS. I got out voted I guess we are going to Red Lobster.. I don't eat anything that comes out of the water so that was not my choice.:lol

They have steaks, too. I'm not a fish person either but I do like shrimp, particularly Red Lobster's Coconut Shrimp — yum! And you could always just get a baked potato and salad if you want to.

I'm at just about the halfway point in the second half of the scarf. So that's roughly ¾ths done altogether, if you don't count grafting and blocking.

I had Cajun Chicken Linguini Alfredo last night which was pretty good.

Had to laugh watching my DGS cracking crab legs..:lol

I had good day knitting yesterday. Scarf is growing. Yarn is getting low, I'm going to leave just enough yarn to graph them together.. So I'll just keep going til I run out.

I want to send it SIL,along with the baby things for my nephew. She has been having a ruff time trying to find a job.. She been pretty down. So, maybe this will put a smile on her face.;) ( I'm sending the things to her house so the kids have to come and visit her to get them.) :lol

Hi guys ..Well knitting got to a slow start yesterday.. got the kids out the door for school, clean up a bit started to do left over dishes and my feet started to get wet :eek got a leak under the sink ..One of the pipes connectors was leaking ..since hubby is not home ..I just put a pail underneath it .I got it just to a drip stage ..hubby will deal with it tonight ..:yes

I plan to do little more knitting today and maybe :think finish it :yay..

Hi guys ..Well knitting got to a slow start yesterday.. got the kids out the door for school, clean up a bit started to do left over dishes and my feet started to get wet :eek got a leak under the sink ..One of the pipes connectors was leaking ..since hubby is not home ..I just put a pail underneath it .I got it just to a drip stage ..hubby will deal with it tonight ..:yes

I plan to do little more knitting today and maybe :think finish it :yay..

Sorry

Been there and done that, Not fun!!!!!!! Mine was the garbage disposal that was leaking. Then my " Tim the Toolman Taylor" put in a new one, then the dishwasher didn't work. Got a new dishwasher and the guy that put it in tried it out and found that whoever replaced the garbage disposal didn't knock out the plug so that the dishwasher could drain.. I didn't tell him that Hubbie did it.. I got a new dishwasher out of it...:shrug

I think that I have enough yarn for 2 or 3 repeats.. I'll finish up on that today..

Don't have to work this week so more knit time for me.:clap I still get paid whether I work or not. My order from KnitPicks was sent out yesterday and they sent my Knitting Warehouse order out today UPS and will be here on Wednesday.. :cheer

I think I'm all set for awhile....

May I say I've been lurking in this thread and all your Branching Outs look wonderful--congratulations! I am lurking because there's been a discussion on my Exotic Knitting forum on ravelry about problems people who knit differently have had with Branching Out, and my life is just too complicated right now for me to knit something I need to concentrate on. In about a month, things will settle down. So for now, I'm just knitting a 19th century blanket--you don't need to think with just knit 3, purl 3! :P

Great progress, ladies--very inspiring! Patty

May I say I've been lurking in this thread and all your Branching Outs look wonderful--congratulations! I am lurking because there's been a discussion on my Exotic Knitting forum on ravelry about problems people who knit differently have had with Branching Out, and my life is just too complicated right now for me to knit something I need to concentrate on. In about a month, things will settle down. So for now, I'm just knitting a 19th century blanket--you don't need to think with just knit 3, purl 3! :P

Great progress, ladies--very inspiring! Patty

Thanks, Patty. Branching Out is odd to me. It was designed for beginning lace knitters but honestly, I've messed around with other lace patterns some and this is a little more complicated to keep up with than a lot of the others. It was the second half of it before I really started to "read" the knitting and I can't totally do it now. It is taking concentration. If I am interrupted during a RS row I have to count stitches to see where I am. If this pattern were a wide scarf with more stitches instead of narrow like it is? :eek So now I am interested: are other people finding this so difficult, Patty?

I was going to knit last night and it just wasn't the evening for it. After messing up the same row twice I just put it down. No sense beating my head against the wall. I think I've got another 7 repeats plus a couple of rows of this repeat before grafting and blocking. I can finish it today IF I get with it. (Can't believe I just wrote that. We'll see, we'll see.)

Thanks Patty ..

Yes my 2 favorite places in the "Branching Out" to mess up is on row 7, I end up with 28 or 29 stitches when it should be only 27 too many YO and on row 9 when you have to knit 4 at the beginning I of course knit 3 :shrug

Thanks Patty ..

Yes my 2 favorite places in the "Branching Out" to mess up is on row 7, I end up with 28 or 29 stitches when it should be only 27 too many YO and on row 9 when you have to knit 4 at the beginning I of course knit 3 :shrug

That's funny because I keep ending up with too few stitches! :lol

I finished knitting!!!! Don't have enough yarn to do another repeat. Just going to stitch it together. I'm going to leave the blocking til tomorrow.. I found a different way to graft socks going to see if that will work here. If I can find it again..

th_100_2338.jpg click-able.

Congratulations, mamaoso! What color is that? It's dark and... green? Blue? I love a deep, rich green whether that is green or not. And blue, for that matter. I can't wait to see yours blocked out. That's how long mine will be before blocking — 50" exactly.

But instead of knitting today I've been preparing in case we have an ice storm and lose electricity! :eek Not quite done with all that yet. Maybe I can knit later.

I'm dropping out of the KAL, I've only done 3 repeats. I have too many projects going and I really have to finish my Mardi Gras stuff before Mardi Gras lol.
Aw, sorry you have so much going on, adirtyspoon. Maybe you can do Branching Out later when things are less busy for you. But at least you worked those three repeats and are more familiar with the pattern!

The color is a like a Navy heather. Going to get it blocked today.

I'm going to basted it up with thread and soak in a little while.

Yep, we got some ice here last night. Hubbie leaves for work at 4am and said that the road were pretty bad. But got to work okay.

Still have a sheet of ice on the back deck.(it's in the shade) but everything is melting nicely. Nice and sunny..

I joinned in on darski- simple Kal. Have about 12 inches on the cowl. Boy, it's kinda nice to not have to count. Just mindless knitting..:D

Archived