First Lace KAL..

mamaoso

Ok , I can't get pass the 5th repeat :think,(after starting it 10 times) maybe cause I might be picking up speed but it seems that I always off ONE stitch :eek .So know I have copied the written pattern on to flash cards and starting singing it with a little tune :hyper I'll let you know when I sign it to a record deal.:bow

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HomekeepingGran ~ Yes I have. I have done both sides at one time then Kitchener stitch them together..

Good. Then you can teach the rest of us how! :lol

Oh, Ana. So sorry. Did you enlarge the chart to help you see where you are? I copied the whole KnittyBranching Out article onto Word where I was then able to click and copy just the chart and its key. Once I had it copied you could click and drag it bigger because it's a picture of its own. Actually I suppose you could just copy the chart only from Knitty and put it into a Word document.

ETA: I may have misunderstood. You may not be using the chart at all.

The chart I thought kept messing me up because I had to look to see what the symbols meant ..:yes.. So I went with the written word ..:yes so far (knock on wood) it's working):yes
Yeah, I had to keep looking at the symbols, too, for the longest. I think I have them down now. (Watch me goof them up the very next row.)

Good. Then you can teach the rest of us how! :lol

Yep, I can teach you how to do it.. I'm working on both sides at once. I'll post a picture soon..

Right now I think that if you get to the lenght you want, end with row 10 that would be a good place to stop to join them. But I'll think more on it and see where a good place would be..

Goldkeeper ~ Yea, so far I have to look back to see what the symbols mean to. Then make sure that they are tilting in the right direction..:lol But it does get easier the futher you go..

Yep, I can teach you how to do it.. I'm working on both sides at once. I'll post a picture soon..

Right now I think that if you get to the lenght you want, end with row 10 that would be a good place to stop to join them. But I'll think more on it and see where a good place would be..

I was thinking about this and realized you could end in several different spots. If you ended each half on Row 10 then it would be like Kitchenering anything else but, you would have a stripe of stockinette right down the middle of your scarf. Only... I have no idea how to do it if that's not the row you end on. :think

I think we are going to have to end it on a even row.. I've never ended on an odd row before with the yo's.

I changed my mind about the yarn. The 2 skeins of Jojoland Rhythm in MO9 did not mach up. I couldn't do the two at once.. The colors were just to different..

So, I had some Melody Superwash in MS08 in my stash that I pulled out..

I'm starting over.. I have 2 repeats done and liken the fingerweight better.. We will see the further I get how it's going to look.

I just finished with all my work and going to start knitting..

I have been thinking ( :eek). I'm going to go back to a DK weight yarn. I have some navy wool tweed. I'm going to start over again... I don't think I've ever changed my mind so often on what yarn to use for a project before...:think:P

Oh well, I'll let you know what happens tomorrow..

Hubbie has to work tomorrow and Sunday so I'll get in some extra knitting time in, instead of running around spending money..:D

I just finished with all my work and going to start knitting..

I have been thinking ( :eek). I'm going to go back to a DK weight yarn. I have some navy wool tweed. I'm going to start over again... I don't think I've ever changed my mind so often on what yarn to use for a project before...:think:P

Oh well, I'll let you know what happens tomorrow..

Hubbie has to work tomorrow and Sunday so I'll get in some extra knitting time in, instead of running around spending money..:D

I'm so sorry you have had trouble with your yarn, mamaoso. I've done that sort of thing before on project, too. Maybe now you will be happy with what you choose.

I didn't knit a stitch on Branching Out yesterday, I was so out of pocket. Maybe today will be better. I have finished 10 repeats. What about the rest of you? How far along is everyone else?

Goldkeeper ~ Beautiful so far!!!

HomekeepingGran ~ Hope thing are better for you today and you can add 10 more repeats..

Me ~ Started over with Plymouth Encore DK in Navy tweed. And doing both sides at once.

You won't believe it.. I was doing great until the third repeat, one side was fine the other side I had 1 missing stitch on row 5.. Okay I missed a yo. So I went back to fix it and still ended up with a missing stitch. So, this time I ripped out a few more rows, got back to the same place and STILL ended up with a missing stitch.. So my tempture is rising, and I blow!!!!!! I took that side off and frogged the whole thing.. It's in the box. I'll start over on that side again till I catch up with the other and be on my merry way. Only this time I'm using a Lifeline..

Look at Ana fly! You've been working, girl! You will have a lovely, cheerful little scarf before you know it.

mamaoso! :hug I admit I have ripped out any number of rows on this "simple" lace scarf. You know, I've played around with lace just a little and it seems to me that a lot of the patterns are more regular in their repeats within the same row. I think that may be what is getting to me, anyway. Row 7 is so non-repititous I have to watch carefully to get it right, which is why I'm moving the lifeline to Row 6 also — right before starting 7. I've used it, too. :eek

Well, I need to turn the computer completely off and get busy. Since I've been sick my house has deteriorated pretty badly. No way am I up to cleaning it all today but I need to make a little progress on it.

Hope you are feeling better,HomekeepingGran.

I'm moving right along. Got both sides back on the needle..

I like the extra thickness of the DK yarn. Guess I've been working with finger and Lace weight to much..

Good deal, mamaoso! Glad you are back "with it", so to speak. You will probably finish before any of the rest of us, experienced lace knitter that you are. (Not that it is a race or anything.)

I finished the first half of the scarf last night and just barely started the second half. You know, I am perfectly willing to make Branching Out as a first lace pattern but I never have been especially crazy about it. I really don't know why, since so many people seem to really like the pattern. I'm already thinking about what to make next, LOL, and need to decide in case I should order yarns.

Oh, I was considering blocking via the Russian blocking method since I don't have blocking wires. Have any of you used it before? How hard is it?

I think you are in the lead.. I didn't work on it at all yesterday. Hubbie decided he wanted a pair of gloves with some KP Shamrock that I had in my stash. So I worked on those until we went out to dine with DD and DGS. I have one almost done ( 2 fingers left to do). Going to finish up on the gloves today..

The string blocking is one that I use most of the time.. I like to weave the string up the sides and ends before I soak. easier then weaving the cables after you soak..

So, what are we going to work on next?

Should we do another KAL next month?

I think you are in the lead.. I didn't work on it at all yesterday. Hubbie decided he wanted a pair of gloves with some KP Shamrock that I had in my stash. So I worked on those until we went out to dine with DD and DGS. I have one almost done ( 2 fingers left to do). Going to finish up on the gloves today..

The string blocking is one that I use most of the time.. I like to weave the string up the sides and ends before I soak. easier then weaving the cables after you soak..

So, what are we going to work on next?

Should we do another KAL next month?

Honestly, mamaoso, I'm not nearly as fast or experienced as you. I've never made gloves and I guarantee they would be a relatively long-term project for me, but there you are just whipping them out. Amazing.

Glad to know about stringing it up first. That makes sense, of course but since I am not that far along yet I haven't really considered it.

Another KAL? I'm game but I must say if the difficulty level/size level goes up much at all I may need more than a month to do it just because I am in actuality quite slow. (I have no children at home and what with recovering from the flu, there has been a lot of hanging out time.) Are there some pretty patterns which are a tad more advanced than this but still pretty simple? And I did find a pretty pattern in a back issue of PieceWork which I like and think I could do, but chances are not many other people have access to that. Probably better to take a look again at your list of lace projects and do some thinking, presumably with input from experienced lace knitters.

I am still going strong . I think my scarf now is about 24inches ..I have stopped and knitted a couple of rows on my kimono I was making before ,and a square or two for a blanket .. :yes I try to get all my homemaker duties done early in the day so the I have more time to play with yarn :clap

OH! and I am also game for another kAL next month :D

HomekeepingGran~I'm a slow knitter.. The gloves are on DPN and I seem to knit a little faster on those.[ Just all knit ]

Yea, look back on the pattern thread I've added a few more patterns on different things there.

I'm on glove # 2. Still working on the cuff. I started the dang thing 3 times before my brain and fingers got together and did a k1,p1 on the first row. I was watching TV and knitting and noticed that I was knitting the rows instead of k1.p1...Hair pulling time...

Now off to make something for supper. Something bad for me and DH.. Fried Chicken and cheesy potatoes.. Oh well, I'll make healthy tomorrow..:lol

Shhhhh, I'm taking alittle break from work..

The boss has me swamp this week.. Not getting in to much knitting time..

I want to play!!!

How is everyone doing? No problems?

I'll check back tomorrow before I start work.

Lucky for me I work at home...:lol

Hi Mamaoso :lol ok I'll be quiet this is how much I have done so far It is about 36inches now ..

th_009.jpg

Here is a book I got for free ,because I have order books from "Crafter's Choice" book club during the past year .. I found a nice little lacy jacket

th_004-2.jpgth_005-1.jpg

:yes

Ana flies into the lead..:lol Pretty jacket.

I found a vest that is lace work I'll see if I can find it again in my mess here..:D Here it is Four Season Vine Lace Vest I don't really like vests but I do like this one..

thfeeling-better-bg.jpg

Clara hope your feeling better today..

Me ~ I finished Hubbies gloves and he wore them to work, yesterday.( it was in the 30's in the morning, but 74 in the afternoon...:think )

Worked a little bit on Branching out. Made a mistake and put it away last night( Hubbie was watching some fight and keep saying "watch this".) (( I kept saying "Shut up, I'm counting")) so I'll need to fix it whenever I get done with my work.. ( downloading everything on a disc for work, messenger will be by later, so I'll have this afternoon and tomorrow off to play!!!!!!)

thfeeling-better-bg.jpg

Clara hope your feeling better today..

I'm fine. In fact I think I'm fairly back to normal (a little tired but it's OK) but my sweet husband has been having some potentially serious health difficulties and we've made a round of doctors for him lately. Hence, the main reason for being out of pocket.

Another nice little vest! Very pretty, mamaoso. I've never really used vests athough I know a lot of people love them. Were you and Ana suggesting these for a KAL? Personally I had rather do one more scarf or small stole and then try to venture into a triangular shawl, but I could try this vest as a gift for someone. Our youngest daughter has a birthday in May and she might wear one.

I wasn't, I don't know about Ana.

Yea, I know about running around to see doctors.. Between me and Hubbie last year..:P At least now the doctors are in the same building.. Different wings but the same building..:)

Hope Hubbie fells better soon..

Well I'm done with work for this week :clap.

Off to go sit down and find where I made my mistake in my scarf..:blush

Me I was thinking of Alix's Prayer shawl

But if you would rather do another scarf of stole that's fine with me.

Alix's Prayer Shawl is lovely. It would be fine with me, mamaoso. Frankly it looks simpler than Branching Out to me, even if larger. If we plan another KAL in February, I think we should decide what to make fairly soon so yarn can be bought/ordered.

I should show you Hypoteneuse by Anne Hanson which I made a couple of years ago. Anne seems to nearly always choose yarns with several colors so mine looks totally different from hers, I think. In my mind I've never counted this as lace but merely as an interesting pattern. Alix's Prayer Shawl reminds me of this. Here she goes:

Hypoteneuseforumsize.jpg

Archived