Need some color ideas!!

faithpa76

Question

I want to make a throw/afghan for my mil - you know, one of those quickie ones that use a couple strands and go together quickly - I'm going to pick up the yarn later today.

She has a jungle/animal theme in her house - any suggestions on colors? I'm going to be using the caron simply soft yarns (I love how they work up, I'm not a big fan of the rh super savers, too rough), so I'm trying to decide if I should just go with an off white (b-o-r-i-n-g, especially since I have another afghan to make that will be off white) or do some fun colors. Maybe black and off white to keep it neutral? The thing is I'm not sure I like that color combo for her. Eeergh ...

Any ideas?

13 answers to this question

hmmm...what about black and brown? kind of animal pelty???

That would probably work ... her theme is more the animal prints than the vegetation "jungle" theme so that is definitely an option. Wouldn't that be really dark though?

Maybe I should go look at some jungle animal pictures, lol.

I know you said you didn't care for the RH Super Saver, but a couple trips through the washing machine will soften it up more than you thought possible. There is a great new color I saw at Joanns called "Woodsy" or something like that... browns and greens and cream. It might work if you could find it, along with a good brown or green.

going with the animal pelt idea.... Maybe a cream/off white, a camel or darker color tan, and black? that way it's not too dark... but i really think black looks sharp... it's not one of those colors that you see in traditional afghans alot and makes crocheting seem "hip". :rofl

yeah, i would use like one strand black and two strands brown, one chocolate and one a little bit lighter. I think it would look really rich and not too dark if she's into the animal prints. She'd get a kick out of it!!

~REbecca

I have a throw made from Lion Brand Homespun, done in Prairie, that I adore... I did the Waterfalls pattern that's on Lion Brand's site. It's 2 strands, Q-hook, and it works up like lightning. Plus, it's VERY warm!

afghan1.jpg

Okay, I was thinking that the caron jewelbox in tiger eye might be nice (albeit pricey, but then, she's my mil, so that's okay, right?) and then use some other plain color with it - a lighter color, probably. I wasn't able to get out to get my yarn today so I can go do some looking tomorrow.

The fun fur would be cute, but I HATE working with it, lol. Plus I'm not sure it's something she'd like - might be too out there for her.

Archived