Ravelry woes

I don't usually even notice the agree/disagree and other buttons, I forget they are there. The general sort of snarkiness that is in some of the boards is not present in the crochet group forums, I find. The Crochet Finished Object of the Month, and Year, in the Crochet on Ravelry group are fun ways to see some really nice projects.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also like the one-stop source for pattern errata. :) Easier to find it on there than hunting around the publisher's site.

Lately, I've had fun looking for new patterns because you can choose the weight of the yarn, the craft, what type of pattern it is. It's great. I've tried quite a few new patterns by searching and then looking at all the variations by the different crocheters.

It's that it adds nothing to the discussion.

That's my point. Sometimes I really don't want to add to it but I do want it known that I don't agree, especially if I've already replied and stated my thoughts. There's nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

They just click disagree on every post from the opposing viewpoint like it's a popularity contest.

That's usually on the main six boards or some other hot topic type. It doesn't really happen on the other boards I belong to.

I agree that it is rude.

i think ravelry isnt hard. but i cant find alot of patterns crochet wise that i really like. usually the ones i like there is no pattern or is in an obscure magazine years ago. it is however a great place to keep track of stash and hooks, etc.

One thing that drive me nuts about it is that pics can ONLY be uploaded from Flickr. Well, THEN i'd have to set up that account, THEN upload the pics, THEN put them on Ravelry. Sheesh, needless to say , i don't post no pics of my yarn or projects there.

Is there a quick way to find "The Crochet Finished Object of the Month, and Year, over on Ravelry.

Could this be something that is duplicated here at Crochetville, to make sure that we do not miss some sensational projects that get posted?

Edgehill

One thing that drive me nuts about it is that pics can ONLY be uploaded from Flickr. Well, THEN i'd have to set up that account, THEN upload the pics, THEN put them on Ravelry. Sheesh, needless to say , i don't post no pics of my yarn or projects there.

No, they can be loaded from other sites as well. Use the slurp feature - I load them either from my blog or from my google/picasa account.

It took me a while to figure it out, I thought Ravelry was cropping my pictures, but once the picture is loaded you can click on it and drag to centre it better.

Is there a quick way to find "The Crochet Finished Object of the Month, and Year, over on Ravelry.

Could this be something that is duplicated here at Crochetville, to make sure that we do not miss some sensational projects that get posted?

Edgehill

For finding the CFOMs on Ravelry, go to the pages tab on the Crochet on Ravelry group, and you will see "list of winners', click on that and you can see all winners from the first one in Feb 08 thru Aug 08.

I personally would not vote for doing anything similar here at the Ville. I think the CFOM/Y is good on Ravelry, because there is so little show-and-tell type of thing on Rav. But here there is an excellent show-and-tell section. I don't think there needs to be any element of competition added to that.

And now you can upload from your pc (is that what slurp means?).

And it does crop photos--wide photos will not be reduced so you can see the whole thing, like my dragon filet. The Flickr photo is of the entire piece, but what uploaded was centered, and I had to either leave it centered or select one side to show.

And there will only be more crochet patterns if more crocheters join and upload their patterns and projects! Let's go, crocheters!

Patty

Edgehill

Ravelry uses custom software written by Casey, the owner of the site. He can program pretty much anything he wants and collect data he wants from his database.

I'm not sure how this information is compiled to select the top projects. Off the top of my head, I don't think there's any similar capability built in to the Crochetville software.

Okay, I just checked out the CFOM. I didn't realize this was an actual contest.

Right now, Donna and I just don't have time to run an ongoing contest like that. As somebody else said, I'm not sure I want to instill a sense of regular competition like that here at the 'Ville. Right now, I really enjoy the spirit of sharing that abounds here.

One thing that drive me nuts about it is that pics can ONLY be uploaded from Flickr.

I replied earlier in this thread that you can upload from other places now including your own computer.

:)

I agree that this place is and needs to remain supportive.

I agree. I've never been a fan of popularity contests on message boards.

I agree that this place is and needs to remain supportive. I think beginners (and people like me who are aren't very good!) need to feel they can get encouragement.

This is the best crochet site IMHO. Plenty of activity, plenty of discussion, new patterns, free patterns, find people to test patterns square requests. The only thing that had annoyed me is that i missed out on the years before i joined here! I could have been addicted YEARS ago.:devil

No, they can be loaded from other sites as well. Use the slurp feature - I load them either from my blog or from my google/picasa account.

It took me a while to figure it out, I thought Ravelry was cropping my pictures, but once the picture is loaded you can click on it and drag to centre it better.

I'll have to tinker around with it later, since i'd realy like to put my project pics on there as well.

I replied earlier in this thread that you can upload from other places now including your own computer.

:)

Yeah, i saw that this morning, i'd accidently skipped reading one page somehow (probably trying to read while tired).:lol

Archived