Wool Yarns for felting

yarnlover66

Nope, sorry!

It has to be 100% wool and it should *not* say superwash (superwash is treated wool designed to not shrink).

Patons Classic Merino Wool works well, comes in a lot of nice colors & is available at most of chain craft stores.

LionBrand does make something called Fishermans Wool in 8oz skeins, but it only comes in one buff color (dyes well though if you want to play with that).

Holly

Is 100% wool yarn expensive? Thanks for the info.

Check out Wool of the Andes at Knitpicks.com ... I got enough to make three pairs of felted clogs for just over $20. It sells for $1.79 per 110 yard skein of worsted weight.

I just finished my first pair of felted clogs, they're knitted, but can be seen on my site, In stitches

Felting ... is addicting.

I've recently been able to find some clearanced - patons upcountry at michaels and bernat lana at hobby lobby (though i think only a few had that to begin with).

Check out Wool of the Andes at Knitpicks.com ... I got enough to make three pairs of felted clogs for just over $20. It sells for $1.79 per 110 yard skein of worsted weight.

I just finished my first pair of felted clogs, they're knitted, but can be seen on my site, In stitches

Felting ... is addicting.

Those are great! I'm glad to see that the Wool of the Andes worked for you; I'm planning on making CrochetMe's Pike Place Market Bag out of that for a co-worker. It's a relief to see that it looks good!

Megan, I'm plotting the same exact thing! Except not for a co-worker, but a fellow volunteer. Let me know what colors you decide on! I'm still trying to figure that out - being sneaky and trying to discern her favorite colors.

Oooh, very nice Lissa!!!

I should have said there are lots of great wools available online too! I was just trying to think of what was available at local stores.

I just got in an order of scrumptious http://www.peacefleece.com/webyarn.htm

in Volgasippi Blue, Siberian Midnight and Chickie Masla. The colors have so much depth and I can't wait to see how the mohair blooms. The company's philosophy is pretty cool too :hug Anyway, I'm going to use it formulate some sort of big, striped felted tote to enter into our fair.

Holly

Hi all,

I do quite a bit of felting or fulling. The rule of thumb is to use 100% wool, but you can use a blend such as a combination of animal fibers, such as wool, alpaca,and/or mohair. I prefer a blend of wool and mohair because of the fuzzier look it produces when felted. One brand I love is Lamb's Pride worsted weight; It also comes in a bulky weight. It's a combo of 85% wool and 15% mohair.

Megan, I'm plotting the same exact thing! Except not for a co-worker, but a fellow volunteer. Let me know what colors you decide on! I'm still trying to figure that out - being sneaky and trying to discern her favorite colors.

I asked my coworker what she wanted, and she said definitely "Tomato." She really liked the picture at CrochetMe, and that's the most like it (although it won't have the orange shading in the body). I personally like "Cranberry," but all of the blues look gorgeous, too.

Also, I haven't felted with it, but I did get some of Knit Picks' Merino Style (sport weight), and it's deliciously soft :D

Hi, I have a question. Are felting and fulling the same thing? I have crocheted a bag and have yet to felt it. I think I'm afraid to through it in the wash. I read somewhere that I should put it in a pillowcase to avoid messing up my washing machine. Any advice? Holly L

Hi, I have a question. Are felting and fulling the same thing? I have crocheted a bag and have yet to felt it. I think I'm afraid to through it in the wash. I read somewhere that I should put it in a pillowcase to avoid messing up my washing machine. Any advice? Holly L

They're used practically interchangeable by most people, although felting is technically done to unwoven fibers while fulling is shrinking woven fibers (like a crocheted object).

Also, the consensus seems to be that a pillowcase is necessary unless you like to take apart your washer to get the wool mess out of the pipes. I have yet to felt/full, but that's this weekend's project, so I've been doing research. If you search google, there are some good articles on the process up (sorry, I don't have them bookmarked). Reading through some of the old threads here also boosted my confidence. Good luck! :D

• 1 month later...

some yarns that are mostly wool will felt.(80% wool). but it will be different..a test gauge would be great!

i like to get my yarn for felting at www.elann.com or www.knitpicks.com and www.herrschners.com they have reasonable prices and good sales! HTH happy felting!

• 1 month later...

Archived