Softening Acrylic Yarn

Graceylue

How do you make acrylic yarn softer faster? I'm making an afghan for my boyfriend and I'm trying to finish it before he gets out of basic and I want it to be soft and cozy for him, but it's in RHSS and all in single crochet with two strands of yarn so it's kinda stiff. Is there a way to soften it up other than just natural wear?

Hmmm, a washing might help a little. I've wondered the same thing when I'm attempting to make a hat out of red heart worsted weight yarn. Some of it is pretty nice and then there are the skeins that feel so stiff and gnarly. Drives me batty.

Anyways, there are probably much better suggestions that just a washing. There's a lot of knowledge in this forum.

Julee

That's for sure. I sure wish red heart would do a little bit of quality control. When I first started crocheting 15 years ago they had a good quality product but it's sure gone down though. So sad.

Julee

I just got done washing and drying five loads of crocheted and knit gifts that I've made over the past year and I think I've got the perfect solution for you, this will soften it up beautifully.

I set my washer for a double rinse cycle. In the first rinse cycle, add about 1 cup of white vinegar. In the second, add a double capful of fabric softener. I couldn't believe how soft everything turned out - I'll definitely be using this method from now on!

And the vinegar won't mess up the colours?

No, not at all. In fact, the loads of laundry I washed were things all mixed together (all acrylic yarn, though). Different colors, some knit items, some crocheted items, large things and small, colors all mixed and everything came out beautifully. :cheer

No, not at all. In fact, the loads of laundry I washed were things all mixed together (all acrylic yarn, though). Different colors, some knit items, some crocheted items, large things and small, colors all mixed and everything came out beautifully. :cheer

I use vinegar in nearly every load of laundry I do. Helps get most odors out and I've never noticed any discoloration in any of my clothes.

Julee

I just finished a dress for a bed doll in RHSS and let me tell ya, it was pretty stiff! I threw it in the wash with a regular load and it came out much better. Just detergent and liquid fabric softener. It was mostly dc and only one strand so that might have helped. I have a front loader and I don't think I can use vinegar. Which slot would I put it in? :think I can't add anything to the load once it's started like you can on a top loader. The door gets sealed when the cycle starts.

hummm neato I have never tried putting vinegar in with my laundry. I usually us regular detergent and some fabric softener. However I do us those blue dryer balls instead of dryer sheets I have noticed that they help a lot.

Well, to let you all know, I just completed a baby sweater for a friend out of Red Heart SS that was as stiff as brillo until I tossed it into the machine on cold with fabric softener, and then in the dryer with a dryer sheet just long enough to dry it. It came out nice and soft. :c9

hummm neato I have never tried putting vinegar in with my laundry. I usually us regular detergent and some fabric softener. However I do us those blue dryer balls instead of dryer sheets I have noticed that they help a lot.

Being allergic to most additives, I don't use any fabric softener. I keep a stack of old towels and toss them in with each dryer load. It seems to reduce wrinkles. It certainly makes things dry softer. I think the old towels have the same effect as the dryer balls.

Archived