How Many Afghans Realistically

That is a huge undertaking! It could most definately be done.. I can finish a lapghan in a day or two depending on the pattern... but the repetition would be the thing that would do me in on a project like this. If you don't mind lack of variety then I say go for it. I know they would all be awed at your generosity!

I agree with everyone else - 10 is definately doable based on the pattern. Keep changing up the colors to keep it interesting. I crochet all the time but get creative in my time usage. Living in a suburb of Detroit traffic jams are a beautiful thing - most importantly have fun and make sure it doesn't turn into a chore. :hook

What about the days when you just DON'T feel like crocheting?

For me that would be when my hands are hurting too badly... But luckily so long as I keep them warm and stretch them when they start feeling a bit sore (I can crochet much longer than I can write with a pencil, thank goodness) I'm good to go... I'm actually amazed at how much I've done on the afghan I'm making for my goddaughter in just two days... Plus I even did a bunch of cleaning yesterday and rearranged my bedroom. (I now have two drawers of my computer desk dedicated to crochet! I'm almost done with the first skein of yarn for it and will be able to break out one of the other skeins of yarn I bought for Alana's Afghan.

As for the original poster, that many afghans does seem like it could very easily burn you out. I'd recommend doing scarves and.or hats instead!

I think you may have set a goal for yourself; just give it your best ... if you get bored or tired with trying to get all of that done, well at least you can say that you gave it your best. Sometimes goals can be easily reached and then sometimes life will through us a 'side step'. I say either way, you've got the mind to give it a try, so go for it.

I can finish one about the size of a twin bed in a week, but i have no job or school so i can crochet all day if i want to, heh. It all depends on how big, how busy you are, and how many your goal is, i think.

I do think that it's a pretty ambitious goal if you are still going to be crocheting other things. The fact of the matter is, your gifts are a token of your appreciation of what the nurses do for your grandmother and the other patients. They will feel appreciative of your gift whether you take one hour to make it or two weeks. I would choose something smaller, especially for your own sake. You could make them each a set of dishcloths, potholders, and scrubbies.. you could do one set a week and be done before summer. There are of course other smaller items you could make. I personally think ornaments, cup cozies, etc with a thoughtful note make great gifts for people you don't know personally. Something to ponder... :dragonfly

• 1 month later...

I thought of this thread today, and had to come back to comment. I may can help figuire this out now. Since the 1st of the year, I have completed 1 full hexagon afghan, 1 lapghan, 1 butterfly shawl, and am nearly finish w/ another afghan that consists of 30 9" squares. W/ that 1, I have about 10 more squares to finish (is 2 parts 2 it, and I have the center 5 rows). I've also tested a few squares for smoothfox, in between all of this.

NOW! all of these were simpler patterns, hexagon was found on c'ville, the butterfly shawl was also, the lapghan was the no. 4 pattern from the book 101 stitches for afghans. This is all being filled in w/ running a business, taking care of my mother, some dating, life in general stuff.

So, it may very well be doable depending on how many you have to make :)

Sandy

Archived