Hacky Sack balls

yarnlover66

Question

I have found a few patterns online for making hacky sack balls. They all call for plastic pellets to fill them with. However, I can't seem to find any place that sells them around here. One clerk in a store told me I had to order them online. I don't want to spend that much money just to make these for my sons. Is it possible to use something else instead of the pellets such as rice?

Thanks in advance!

16 answers to this question

I have made several hacky sacks, and they aren't too hard to make...just tedious because of the thread and tight crochet...I found the poly beads, I believe, at Walmart, and I got cheap knee-hi hose there, poured the poly beads in, tied and knot and then finished off the hacky sack...I found I needed to crochet the ball about three quarters done, stuff it and then finish off the crochet. Otherwise, it was almost impossible to get the thing stuffed! Good luck!:hook

i do the pantyhose thing, but i like to use aquarium gravel... cheap, feels nice in stuff like that, and wont hurt it to get wet...=]

kayveryn

I'll have to try the aquarium gravel, since I can't find the pellets around here.

Thanks for the idea, kayveryn! :tup

I did end up getting a 2 lb bag of poly pellets at Michaels in a town about an hour away. It was priced at $5.99, but I had a 40% off coupon. I'm definitely going to remember the aquarium gravel option though. Thanks for all the help everyone. I've got the hacky sack to the point where it is time to add the pellets. Better go finish that before my 10 year old notices that I'm not working on it! LOL:yes

Ok, so I checked walmart. Our local store just remodeled and today they told me that with the new remodel they got rid of them. Just my luck. Maybe I should try a super walmart. Might be making a road trip tomorrow. Nearest one is 40 miles away.

I do the pantyhose thing too but use knee-highs instead as they are easier to work with and I don't wear pantyhose.

what natalie058 said - when I was a kid, my mom sewed us bean bags to play with and she filled them with dried soy beans (just the beans not the pod) - they're small, almost perfectly round and have a nice weight to them. They'd probably do very well for hacky sacks.

I got a big bag of them at Joann's. The pattern I used was off a little and decreased too fast at the top so it leaked, I just used it as a paperweight instead until I had to frog it for the yarn to finish a project. (it was a BIG hackey sack lol)

I think using a pantyhose liner like some of the patterns said would work out well though.

I started another hackey sack (it's still sitting half finished) and that was actually one of my very first thread projects. Not hard at all. Good luck! :hook

One of the patterns I found on line says to put the pellets in the toe of pantyhose and slipstitch that shut before placeing them in the hacky sack. I'll check at walmart again. Thanks. Our Hobby Lobby and Michaels did not carry them. Are they hard to make?

I had trouble with the pellets leaking when the bags were kicked (even tightly crocheted). If I make them again I think I'll use the small white dried beans or an inner bag made of muslin with the pellets.

I got some pellets at walmart too and had big plans to make hacky sacks for my boys. Good grief those things took so long because I tried to crochet really tight:eek I ended up buying them some.

Archived