Help, Please -- Curly Candy Cane Ornament

loopy1

Question

Anybody know how to make these curlies for a candy cane ornament (link below). I have some instructions for using white pipe cleaners and I don't like how they turn out. This one looks like it might not have a pipe cleaner.

I used to make hair ties that would curl up but I don't remember how.

About 2-3 mos. ago, I pm'd Vik who made it but never heard from her. Some links were posted by shadow and angelfire, but I get the "404 Not Found" message.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=882479&postcount=88

Thanks for any help...:ty

:hug

10 answers to this question

To make the curliques: Chain a length (I'm guessing) about 1/3 again longer than you want the end product. It's safer to chain more, and you can always pick out what you don't need without harm.

Chain 3, turn, and make at least 5 dc in each chain; the more, the curlier. When you are done, thread the pipe cleaner down the middle (or wrap the curl around it). Tada!!

I make padded hanger covers for my wire hangers this way to get rid of little partial yarn balls, works great!!

Hey, thank you all! Looks like the information you gave me should work. Not gonna try again tonight but probably tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks bunches!

To make the curliques: Chain a length (I'm guessing) about 1/3 again longer than you want the end product. It's safer to chain more, and you can always pick out what you don't need without harm.

Chain 3, turn, and make at least 5 dc in each chain; the more, the curlier. When you are done, thread the pipe cleaner down the middle (or wrap the curl around it). Tada!!

I make padded hanger covers for my wire hangers this way to get rid of little partial yarn balls, works great!!

I made an ornament like that, no pipe cleaner though, I made one white curlique and one red one and then twisted them together. I made them with thread and starched them afterwards

Hi I saw your posts about the curly candy cane--I am in midst of making

(from my own pattern) a curly arm & leg clown someone had shown me....It is coming out perfect---Here's how I did the arms & legs... if you have a cane you like--count how many "circles or rounds" there are. Multiply that number by 4. Now ch that many ch sts to begin. ch 3, 2 dc in same ch , 3 dc in ea remaining ch.ch 3 turn. Next row-- 2dc insame st, 3 dc in each ch. this will get it to curl...I will post the entire pattern with photo when clown is complete--I hope the above helps:manyheart

Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions. The one where you put 3sc in each chain works very well for me. I did one in yarn and it was too fat and huge for what I want. So I did one in #5 thread, Pearl/White with silver metallic and Red. I like the sparkle the silver metallic gives it.

So again, thank you all so much for taking your time to respond.

Oh Bonnie! I just saw that you didn't use a pipe cleaner but starched yours instead. I like that. Making mine with #5 thread as I stated above.

Archived