Yarn forward

crochetfun

Question

Recently, while reading through some older patterns, I came across the term "yarn forward" (crochet)

I played around with that idea so far only with single crochet, and it seems to make a subtle difference in texture.

Has anyone else done something with it?

14 answers to this question

I'm not familiar with that term - is there reliable info online about it?

no info, just instruction in a vintage pattern.(on the net) I'll try looking for it tonight.

There's nothing mentioned in The Crochet Bible, Crocheting School or Encyclopedia of Crochet!

the only time I ever used yarn forward was for knitting. I see the pattern though...it's on page 1 and is the cosycoat.

Thanks, at least we know I was not imagining it:)

And, no I have not seen it anywhere else either, but obviously it had to exist.

I can also confirm that it can be done, but not exactly sure what the difference is. With single crochet I found the texture a little "holier".

It looks like cozy coat would be a good design for today, don't you think?

Interesting. It just means keep the yarn in front of the work instead of at the back. I'll have to give it a try and see what difference it makes.

If I did it right, this is how it looks. Regular single crochet is on the left. stitchswatches.jpg Definitely different, but I don't know if I'd want to bother since it tends to take longer. The trick turned out to be keeping the yarn fairly loose until you've worked the hook through it. Otherwise, you have to twist and turn the hook to avoid winding up with three loops rather than two. The picture probably isn't good enought to tell much, but part of it comes out with a sort of twist and a horizontal part to some rows.

It's very much like mine. (sorry, details did not show in my picture, no use posting). I think, once we get the hang of it it's ok. Slow at first because we aren' t used to pulling YF.

Thanks for trying it.

Archived