Book Sock/Cozie

LadiBug329

th_013.jpgth_016.jpgth_017.jpg

After a few PM's and requests under show-n-tell, here's the pattern I created for the book sock. Thank you all for the nice compliments!! This is my first attempt at writing a pattern so please let me know if something doesn't make sense!!

Book Sock Pattern

Created by: Crissie Marine (BeasteezGurl)

Created 11/13/2008

You are welcome to use this pattern as you wish, as long as you do not sell the pattern - however, you may sell your finished work from this pattern. If you post this pattern on your blog, print or share with someone, please be kind enough to mention me! Enjoy!!

To get started:

Measure book from front cover to back cover - if you want to create a flap that is crocheted in the same direction as the body of the book sock, then measure to allow for flap – I would allow at least 2 or 3 inches for the flap to overlap (Photo A).

If you want your flap to go in the opposite direction (like I did), then only measure the book itself (Photo B).

This measurement will be the length of your foundation chain.

The measurement of your book height (Photo C) will be equivalent to the number of rows you make.

th_019.jpg

Photo A

th_016-Copy.jpg

Photo B

th_020.jpg

Photo C

The book I chose (pictured) is 10” x 16”. I did not allow the extra inches for the flap.

I used a G hook, and Sugar & Crème cotton yarn. I tend to crochet tight, so it will be best for you to make your foundation chain and stitch rows based on your measurements.

Instructions:

My foundation chain was 54 and I sc 44 rows.

Rows 1-10, 17-28 & 35-44 were self striping yarn

Rows 11-16 & 29-34 were variegated yarn

Finish off.

Crochet an edging on one short end, this will be the edging on the inside pouch. I did one row of sc. Finish off

Fold edged end 1/3 up short way. Pin, and crochet sides together to form pouch. Finish off.

Flap: If you chose to crochet flap with the body of the sock, then crochet an edge of your choice on the remaining short end, or follow row 16 below.

Otherwise, you will now make your flap as follows.

Row 1: join yarn to remaining short end of crocheted piece and sc across to last st. Turn.

Row 2-15: ch 1, sc in next st, sc across to end. Turn.

Row 16: ch 1, sc in next st. *hdc, 3 dc, hdc in next st, sc in next 3 st. Repeat from * to end of row, ending with 2 sc in last 2 st of row.

Add button to flap. Add crochet chain to outside of pouch near bottom to wrap around button for closure.

That's lovely. I wonder if I can manage to get this done by christmas for the big girl. Maybe with some faux fur trim. Hmmm...

What a great idea! I wouldn't have thought of that...and I'm sure we all have a bunch of "that stuff" hanging around. I'm off to see what colors I have. Thanks.

Thanks Crissie for sharing your wonder booksock/cozie. I'm an avid reader and bookaholic and have friends who are avid readers. What a wonderful gift this would make.

Thanks again for your generosity.

Hugs, :hug

Betty

Archived