scarves for the troops....

texasredhead

A friend of mine's finance is in Iraq and he is wanting scarves for his troopmates since the weather is now starting to get cold there. He has said to make them dark colors to blend into their uniforms (so they don't get seen wearing pink! and get shot). I have researched into this and found that I should use any yarn that is not acrylic. Acrylic yarns can burn to the skin if the guy should get into a vehicle fire accident. Anyway, all is okay here as I bought Merino Wool in shades of dark green and brown , but I don't know how long to make the scarf, or if I should or should not put fringe on it. Has anyone here made scarves for the troops? And do you have any suggestions? :manyheart

We did this last year for the troops on the ville. I think if you look in the crochet for charity near last Christmas someone had a post for them and we used camo yarn with off white to blend in with their uniforms and they had no frindge.

We did this last year for the troops on the ville. I think if you look in the crochet for charity near last Christmas someone had a post for them and we used camo yarn with off white to blend in with their uniforms and they had no frindge.

I will try to check old posts. Bernat Camo yarn is acrylic and is not what I can send to this troop. It has to be non acrylic for safety reasons. Just need to know the length. Thanks!

I will try to check old posts. Bernat Camo yarn is acrylic and is not what I can send to this troop. It has to be non acrylic for safety reasons. Just need to know the length. Thanks!

There is cotton camo yarn that can be used as well.

In another thread regarding scarves for the troops, I checked with the person who was running it and this is what he found out from the military

I can let the troops use tan, gray or black. Wool or cotton materials; plastics stick to the skin if we have a vehicle fire.

In another thread regarding scarves for the troops, I checked with the person who was running it and this is what he found out from the military

I can let the troops use tan, gray or black. Wool or cotton materials; plastics stick to the skin if we have a vehicle fire.

That is what I am seeing too. This troop is not in the desert part so they want darker colors to go with their uniforms so I am using a combo of dk green, black and brown. I think the length is about 42 inches in some posts I saw. I would love to make a helmet liner, the the only crochet pattern that I saw I couldn't figure out. Still looking.....

I am working on prayer cloths and hats for troops presently and was told that cotton is not as warm as wool so for things they wear, they prefer 100% wool. As someone already said, NO acrylic. Only natural fibers that will not melt and be warm. If you have yarn and don't know the fiber content, burn a small piece. I found this at Crochet World.

If your yarn becomes separated from the original labels, and you're not sure if it's wool or acrylic, here's an easy method to find out. Burn the end of the yarn with a match. If the burn brushes off and leaves only a scorch, the yarn is wool. If the end of the yarn turns black and hard, it's acrylic.

I think each deployment area needs different colors and each branch has their particular likes and dislikes. One troop did not care for brown, another liked it. One asked for tan particularly. The earth tone colors are usually a safe bet if you don't know. I was told that the jungle camo is not applicable in the current situation, but I don't know if that is for all areas or just for desert deployment.

Most prefer simple patterns that are close knit and warm because that is why they're asking for the items. It's cold. Definitely no fringe, no pom poms or any adornments. Those things besides getting them teased could catch on something and cause a problem.

For the helmetliners the places I've checked prefer knitted. There is a crocheted pattern, but I'm told the soldiers prefer the knitted. It fits better. I don't knit, so I haven't made these.

For hats to go under the helmets, single strand only or they are too thick to fit under the helmet.

Hope this helps. I've not heard any feedback on scarf length. As someone said, I would not think this could be warn while on duty - but that's just my supposition, not fact. They have winter gear and you know how scarf ends always fall and you're throwing it over your shoulder. I would think that would get in their way as they try to work.

also keep in mind all the serviced uniforms have changed colors in the last year or so like the army made a drastic change as well did the air force you can google army acu's and forgive me but im not sure what the air force one is now called but try air force new uniform the marines changed as well in the last yr or so and i know being an army wife they were all required to make the change

Archived