Converting a picture into a crochet pattern

naekelsey

Question

Is there any way to turn a picture into a crochet pattern? I am really good at figuring out my own patterns if they have to do with straight lines, just not sure how to do curves.

My daughter is preggers so I would love to do a monkey afghan to match her crib bedding.

Any help would greatly be appreciated..

Janae

15 answers to this question

I don't know if you could copy it exactly (if you can, it is beyond me) but maybe you could incorporate elements of the bedding into a blanket? Could you attach a picture or a link to her bedding so we can see what you are trying to achieve?

Kris

there's also a software program for cross-stitch that I use called PM Stitch that may work as well. just convert the pattern from the graph.

you can download a 15-day trial here.

~Cail

(who has been so busy hasn't had time to be here much! :crocheting)

I want to crochet a NY Jets blanket for my husband and I used the microrevolt.com tool and the graph came out three different colors even though the pic I used was only two colors. Do I really need to use three colors or would it look just as good with the two?

I want to crochet a NY Jets blanket for my husband and I used the microrevolt.com tool and the graph came out three different colors even though the pic I used was only two colors. Do I really need to use three colors or would it look just as good with the two?

How important is it to your husband to only use the team colors? I'd base my decision on using two colors on that.

Help Please ASAP!!! I need help converting a rubber band project I did for my Navy Daughter into a crochet pattern from a photo or graph paper. On the graph paper it is 25 stitches wide and 36 high. I am using a size K crochet hook and need the finished product to be a large lap throw or a Twin Bed.

You have tagged on to an 11 year old post, a site that does exactly this has been linked a couple of times in this thread, I'll post it again

http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/

Someone upthread said it froze their computer, I have used it before with no problem (edit, just tested it again - works fine using Chrome and Windows 10).  Keep in mind that there is no magic wand, push one button and done - you are (probably) going to have to clean up the resulting graph using a photo editor.  You will  want to choose the 1:1 stitch ratio and stitch your project with SC, which is the squarest stitch (don't choose knit stitch option on the program, knit stitches are not square nor are the grids for their patterns and your pic will be distorted if you use SC with a knit graph).  You will need to figure out your gauge and figure out the size of the output; you will probably end up making adjustments to center your pic in the middle with a wide border around it, depending on the size of the blanket.  

Edited by Granny Square

Example, 2 pics of a goofy project I made last year as a package decoration - the original, and the microrevolt version, using 1:1 ratio and the smallest grid choice.  When I said you may have to clean it up, transitions between colors (like red and white on the candy cane) get blurred, instead of clean lines of red and white you have shades of pink.  So the cleanup is making decisions of what color you want to be there, to simplify things.  The more pixels you choose for output, the clearer the pic will be (less pixilated), so my sample is worst case

Reindeer Cane Cover.JPG

Reindeer Cane Graph.jpg

Edited by Granny Square