Toes Up Socks CAL

Tia

:eek Oh no! It looks like AOL has shut down that section of their site.

However....I happened to find a cached page of the pattern...here. The pic doesn't work, but hopefully the pics here are enough. I don't know how long this link will work though.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just finished one of my socks...but it came out too big. :( Especially from the ankle up. I used wool, I wonder if I felt it??? Hmm...I'm worried that the foot part would end up too small.

But I can't wear them like this. So I think I'll try felting them and if they come out too small, I can just donate them.

So...I've never felted anything...do I just throw it in the wash?

Here is another toes up socks pattern. I might try that one next. It's written in plain English, you just follow the shape of your foot. I also added this link to the op along with the alternate link to the first pattern.

I finally finished these socks :cheer. I ran them through the wash to try and shrink them. They may still be a little big around the shins, but we'll see. They are laying flat to dry now.

th_Burgundywooksocks.jpg

Click photo to enlarge.

Tia,

I just wanted to tell you your first pair of socks are lovely! My fist pair was knitted and I really struggled like most of you have...turning the heel is a hard concept to grasp without actually seeing someone do it!

I finally finished these socks :cheer. I ran them through the wash to try and shrink them. They may still be a little big around the shins, but we'll see. They are laying flat to dry now.

[/url]th_Burgundywooksocks.jpg

Click photo to enlarge.

Way to go Tia! Glad to see you suck with it. I still haven't managed to finish the pair I started for my daughter...too many things going on, I guess. :P

Thanks for all your compliments on my socks, but I am extremely disappointed in them . :(

The foot/heel part are so tight I can barely get them on. The ankle part is still way too loose, they slide down. And once they are on and I stand up and walk around, I don't like the feel of the stitches on my feet....kind of a knobbly feeling.

Do all crochet socks have this feel? I remember now couple years ago, I crocheted some slippers for myself and had that same reaction to the feel of the stitches. So I put some shoe inserts in them. Can't exactly do that for socks.

Now I don't know what to do with these socks. I can't wear them and I'd be too embarassed to donate them (I could just see the look :think on someone's face that tried to put them on. :eek).

:blush :blush :blush

Braxxi, your socks turned out beautiful, I really love that yarn! Such a pretty color!

Tia,

You could turn them into hot pads for your table if you don't mind cutting them up :) (If you have felted them that is) I have a pair of felted slippers that I'm doing that with. As far as the feel of the socks even my knitted ones have that texture. I really don't feel much of a difference between knitted stitches and crochet stitches. I think the more you wear the socks the softer the yarn will become. The commercial socks we wear are VERY soft compared to homemade.

Thanks for all your compliments on my socks, but I am extremely disappointed in them . :(

The foot/heel part are so tight I can barely get them on. The ankle part is still way too loose, they slide down. And once they are on and I stand up and walk around, I don't like the feel of the stitches on my feet....kind of a knobbly feeling.

Do all crochet socks have this feel? I remember now couple years ago, I crocheted some slippers for myself and had that same reaction to the feel of the stitches. So I put some shoe inserts in them. Can't exactly do that for socks.

Now I don't know what to do with these socks. I can't wear them and I'd be too embarassed to donate them (I could just see the look :think on someone's face that tried to put them on. :eek).

:blush :blush :blush

Ooo I want to join! :)

I've knitted some socks and had a miserable time the whole way. DPN's and me do not get along, I can do magic loop and two circular method, but I'm sooo slow with it and it's very frustrating to have it all over when I drop a stitch.

The same sock pattern in the archive type link in the first post loads for me just now at http://www.baycrochet.com/patsock.htm

3043700921_0be4b57a57_m.jpg

I'm working from the inside strand for the one and the outside strand for sock #2. I need to remeasure my foot because I think I might have one row too many on the left sock. Wheeee!

I think I could manage to make some decent mittens finally too using the same stuff I've learned while making these socks so far.

Nice work so far Meowy! The heel was the hard part for me. :blush

I'm just about done with the round ripple afghan I'm working on, then I'm going to make another pair of socks for myself. I bought some Bernat Sox yarn to try out :hook!

The heel is really, really.. really confusing!

I think I have one that works. I got the decreases pretty okay, it looks a little like steps up each side. The increase part was confusing but I maybe have it too, I'm supposed to kind of go along the step looking edge and kind of bring the new crochet together with it, right? That's how it looks on my storebought type socks where the heel kind of comes together at the sides.

On both heels I ended up with it meeting up to the main sock part pretty okay on one side, but not on the other. I think I'll just stitch that closed when it's all done haha

That yarn sure is pretty meowy!

Hey, quietheart...what happened to those alternate heel instructions you linked to in post #20? That link doesn't work anymore.

Did anyone keep make a copy of that? They had good pics of the steps made in the heel decreases which helped a lot. I still had trouble with the increasing...just sort of winged it...and tried them on every couple rounds.

That yarn sure is pretty meowy!

Hey, quietheart...what happened to those alternate heel instructions you linked to in post #20? That link doesn't work anymore.

Did anyone keep make a copy of that? They had good pics of the steps made in the heel decreases which helped a lot. I still had trouble with the increasing...just sort of winged it...and tried them on every couple rounds.

I dont know what happened to the web page! :(

I kept a copy, but I dont know how much of it would be considered copywritten. So I dont want to get anyone in trouble sharing it.

Any ideas?

Has anyone emailed the author of the pattern for clearer heel instructions?

Hugs

Kath

• 3 weeks later...
No second sock syndrome...got it done! :clap

Socks.jpg

I used a G hook and Moda Dea Sassy Stripes yarn that I got on sale for $1 a skein! The color is #6948.

Now my daughter wants a pair! :hook I'll post them here too when I get them done.

WOW! I love your socks. Can you direct me to the pattern, please? I used to have it but not anymore. Helppppp

Hugs,

CrochetJoyce

I followed the decrease instructions from the original pattern and the new increase instructions. :D

Can you help me find the pattern, please? It is not posted any longer. I'd appreciate it.

CrochetJoyce

Beautiful work! Can you please help me find the pattern? It is not longer posted online. :clap Thanks a lot.

CrochetJoyce

I updated the op (original post) with the new link to the original sock pattern. The alternate heel instructions webpage has disappeared. Sorry. :(

Archived