Toes Up Socks CAL

Tia

***UPDATE - The pattern is now here: http://www.baycrochet.com/patsock.htm***

Here is another toes up sock pattern that looks worth trying, not so much a pattern....It's written in plain English.....you just follow how it fits your foot.

I just started these socks. Anyone interested in doing these with me?

What is great about this pattern is there are instructions for fingering, sport and worsted weight yarns.

I have never made a pair of socks, slippers once, but not socks. I wanted to try a toes up pattern so I could try them on as I go.

I'm using a fingering weight yarn from Knit Picks called Palette. 100% Peruvian Highland Wool. Autumn Heather. It's a bit splitty and I think I was stitching too tightly. It's getting better now that I've loosened up. I'm using an E/4 - 3.5 mm hook.

Come join me! :yarn

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've wanted to do these for a long time, but I always end up doing a different pattern or knitting some socks. So Im going to finish up something today and see what Ive got for yarn that I want to try. Maybe doing the CAL will help me actually do these lol

Hugs

Kath

Yay! :cheer Thanks for joining me!

I got a good start on mine last night. These socks are addictive! Once you finishing increasing the toe, it's round and round, no thinking necessary (at least until you get to the heel). I wasn't sure I wanted to use that pattern, but they are turning out lovely!

I'm doing both socks simultaneously to avoid 2nd sock syndrome. They are about 6 inches along.

I may need some help when I get to the heel. I've never done this before.

So....what kind of yarn are you all going to use? Weight? Color? Hook?

Sandi, see here. I don't know why that chart lists fingering under both 0 (lace) and 1 (superfine).

I have some beautiful yarn labeled lace weight that looks similar to my #10 thread, which I thought would be too fine for this pattern, so I chose a yarn that was thicker than that but thinner than some sport I have, that wasn't labeled with its weight but I assume was 1 (superfine/fingering) that would be good with this pattern.

After I finish this first pair and have an understanding of the pattern, I'm going to try a pair in my lace weight yarn.

Sandi, I'm not sure what you are saying is not true? I see under Materials where you see "fingering or sport weight yarn". Then under General instructions it says: Instructions are given for fingering weight yarn, with changes for sport and worsted in ().

I think if you want the socks to fit in your shoes, to use either the 0 (lace) or 1 (superfine).

I'm going to be use this dark blue mill end yarn I have. It's WW I believe. Haven't figured out which hook yet.

I had to email the pattern to my neighbor who is going to print it off at the library for me, because I'm out of printer ink! So I won't be starting on this till tomorrow. :hook

Sore

I started on a pair of these last night...they most certainly are addicting! :D BUT...I got to the heal today and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right or not...anyone else having a problem with the heal?:think

I can do the first half of the heel, where you do the decreases, but the increases don't seem right...It could just be me, since I haven't been crocheting that long. When others get to the heels, could you let me know if it's just me? :P

Sorry you are having trouble, too, Darlene, is it with the heel also?

I just tried to work a heel. I got the decreases okay and then promptly got stumped by the increases. Wow, those are cryptic instructions. :think I wish they had included some pics.

I think what you are supposed to do during the increase rows, is at the end of each row you work into the row below to close the gap made by the decreases. This 'cinches' those rows together and curves the heel upward, hence the phrase 'turning the heel'.

But I ran into problems following those instructions and was getting holes. I frogged that part (and broke my yarn in doing so :blush). I will try again tomorrow.

Night all! :yarn

Sorry you are having trouble, too, Darlene, is it with the heel also?

I just tried to work a heel. I got the decreases okay and then promptly got stumped by the increases. Wow, those are cryptic instructions. :think I wish they had included some pics.

I think what you are supposed to do during the increase rows, is at the end of each row you work into the row below to close the gap made by the decreases. This 'cinches' those rows together and curves the heel upward, hence the phrase 'turning the heel'.

But I ran into problems following those instructions and was getting holes. I frogged that part (and broke my yarn in doing so :blush). I will try again tomorrow.

Night all! :yarn

You are right, the increase rows you are working at the end in the row below, making a "cup" for the heel, if that makes sense.

This is called a short row heel.

You do those two stitches together, "adding" a stitch that you left behind last time from the row below.

So you do the row, you do a stitch from the row below together with the first stitch on the empty row you left behind and then according to the instructions you do one more DC in the next sc. and then turn.

You will pick up stitches on each pass, cupping up the heel and increasing back.

But these instructions aren't great especially if you've never done a short row heel before, that's for sure.

And I doubt my explanation has helped lol

Is there another pattern with this kind of heel that might be explained better? :think

Is there another pattern with this kind of heel that might be explained better? :think

Hmm im not sure because we are not just dealing with a short row heel, we are doing it in a pattern stitch of sc/dc instead of 1 stitch.

But! I found something that is for this pattern and changed a little to make it clearer and handle holes better:

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~mantler/misc/fun_stuff/art/crochet/heelinstr.html

Hope that helps!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, quietheart!!! :hug

I will study those other heel instructions. Looks like I've got more frogging to do (hope my yarn doesn't break again), but I'm glad I haven't done the decreases yet on the other sock.

:P

Thank you, thank you, thank you, quietheart!!! :hug

I will study those other heel instructions. Looks like I've got more frogging to do (hope my yarn doesn't break again), but I'm glad I haven't done the decreases yet on the other sock.

:P

You're very welcome.

I've read through it briefly and it seems good. So I hope it helps. Even if you decide to not do it this way, you'll be able to "see" what the original pattern means.

Btw , this stitch pattern, sc in dc and dc in sc is very textured. I am not sure you are going to ever get something smooth enough to wear in shoes with this pattern stitch. They are scrunchy good for house socks though.

Hugs

Kath

Yeah, I'm using 1 superfine yarn and they are a little thicker than my regular socks, but I could still get my shoe on over it. I think as long as your shoes aren't too snug, they will go in.

If you use 0/lace/thread weight, you shouldn't have any problems. And I really like the texture you get with this stitching.

I've got hubby helping me with some chores right now...will play with the heels later.

ARRRRGGGG! I spent an hour ripping out the toes and crocheting them again. Finally figured out that I needed to change yarn till I get this pattern. So now I'm using a variegated in a lighter colour. Finished the toes and the increases and now just working my way up the foot. I'm only doing one sock at a time so this should be interesting!

Off to work on my afghan for a bit. I'll pick the socks up again tomorrow.

Sore

Thanks SOOOOO much for the different heel instructions! I got my first sock done tonight! :clap

1stSock.jpg

AND...my ankles aren't as puffy as the sock makes them look...LOL.

Archived