Granny Square Etiquette

I have a question about granny square "etiquette" - I'm hoping someone here will be able to help.....

I'm making a granny square to give to a friend for an afghan she is creating.

It's a basic square in acrylic yarn, and it's looking a wee bit "warped" as it goes along. (I'm not that experienced with granny squares.)

My questions are these:

Should I block it before I give it to her?

Is it "rude" to give someone an unblocked square?

What do you prefer if someone gives you a square?

Thanks for any feedback,

I don't think it's rude to not block it, and acrylic doesn't block well anyway (works better on natural fibers). But, you might try turning your rows on your next granny square, sometimes they get skewed if you work them with the same side facing. Another benefit is that it is reversable that way.

I don't think it's rude to not block it, and acrylic doesn't block well anyway (works better on natural fibers). But, you might try turning your rows on your next granny square, sometimes they get skewed if you work them with the same side facing. Another benefit is that it is reversable that way.

Exactly what she said! :yes

yupper............good advice:yes

:mug

I send out a lot of squares. If I have one that doesn't seem to lay right, I do block it so it looks good when the person gets it. I do turn each row though and find that to be the best wayto keep it straight on most patterns. Have fun with your squares!!

I don't think I've blocked 1 item I've made. I wouldn't be upset as I probably wouldn't even notice if someone didn't.

I always wonder how things like that turn out. I'm not sure I could incorporate other people's work with my own like that. Just because I crochet so tightly my squares always turn out so small. And I'm left handed so it looks different.

Not to hijack the thread, but does it go well for those of you that do?

I was told that you do not have to block acrylic squares, that if they roll a bit to put them under a heavy book for a day and they will straighten out. I know several people that have done so though, it is a personal choice IMHO

I am always amazed at what others find "rude..." If someone actually thought it was "rude" to received an unblocked granny square, I'd say that person needs to get a life.

That being said, obviously I don't think it's rude to send out an unblocked granny square. I don't "properly" block most of my things anyway. At best I finger block. If I send out a doily, I might wet it down and finger block it and then sandwich it between two pieces of cardboard so it would look pretty for the receiver...but quite frankly, I've been known to fold up a doily, slip it in a baggie and then a mailing envelope and send it off that way. People usually are just really happy to receive something from anyone, and in the mail no less.

And yeah, I echo everyone else that Granny Square has a good suggestion.

Archived