Homemade Ball Winder - Untested

DH was looking in a magazine at the hospital today while waiting for his ultrasound; and there was an easy to make POWER yarn ball winder shown.

Take a power drill (I guess regular or cordless would work)

Put a toilet paper core down over the chuck of the drill.

Start winding.

Personally, I would probably take the first loose end, and tuck it in a small slit in the core just so I could find it again. I should have grabbed the magazine, maybe I'll sneak back in and snatch it, lol.

Watch out that hubby doesn't get all "Tim the Tool Man" and decide the homemade ball winder needs "More power!" :eekCan you imagine?

great idea AND it adds an excuse for buying a drill! You probably could wind yarn in the pattern folks do for Nostependes so you end up with a center pull ball if you wind loose enough to allow removal of the tolit paper roll.

• 4 weeks later...

I use my Champion Juicer as a yarn winder. Without any attachments, it has a rotating center bit large enough to hold a cone to wind the yarn onto.

I've given myself string burns from it going through my fingers so quickly. It's got a 1.4 hp engine that goes 1 speed only.

I think a variable bit drill would work better because you could have a slow speed.

Archived