Winged Dragon Applique and Winged Dragon Square (10")

champygirl

Decided to add the Winged Dragon Square to this post, since the center dragon pretty much starts the same way. Just scroll down after the applique. :hook

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just came up with this today, I noticed someone was looking for a flat dragon. Sorry about the pics not being to great, I used my scanner. Oh well. :hook

Winged Dragon Applique

post-11825-135897401149_thumb.jpg
Photobucket Pic: Here

Copyright to champygirl August 22, 2008

Materials:
Size G hook
Worstet Weight Yarn
(I used Red Heart Supersaver yarn)

Finish Size: 5 ½”h x 5 ½”w

Different stitches:

Picot: Ch2, sl st in 2nd chain from hook.

Note: This appliqué is worked all in on piece; do not finish off until told too.

Directions:

Body:

Rnd 1: Leaving a long enough tail to crochet over, Ch4, sl st to first chain to form ring.
Rnd 2: Ch2, 12 dc in ring crocheting over tail. Join with sl st to first dc. Pull tail taut to close hole. (12 dc do not count ch2)

Head & Neck:

Ch10, sc in 2nd chain from hook, hdc in next chain, [dc, picot, dc] in next chain, 1 hdc in each of the remaining 6 chains, sl st in next dc (of body). (1sc, 2dc, 1picot, 7hdc)

First wing:

Row 1: Sl st in next dc (of body), ch 9, sc in 2nd chain from hook, 1 sc in each of the 7 remaining chains. Slst in same st as first slst, ch1 and turn.
Row 2: 1 sc in each of the next 6 sc, ch1 and turn.
Row 3: 1sc in each of the next 6 sc, sl st in next dc (of body), ch1 and turn.
Row 4: 1 sc in each of the next 4 sc, ch1 and turn.
Row 5: 1 sc in each of the next 4 sc, sl st to next dc (on body).

Tail:

Sl st in each of the next 2 dc (of body), ch 9, 1 sc in 2nd chain from hook, 2 sc in next chain, 1 sc in each of the 6 remaining chains. Sl st in next dc (of body).

Second Wing:

Row 1: 1 sl st in each of the next 5 dc (of body), turn.
Row 2: Ch 9, 1 sc in 2nd chain from hook, 1 sc in each of the 7 remaining chains. Sl st in next sl st, ch1 and turn.
Row 3: 1 sc in each of the next 6 sc, ch1 and turn.
Row 4: 1 sc in each of the next 6 sc. Sl st in next sl st, ch1 and turn.
Row 5: 1 sc in each of the next 4 sc, ch1 and turn.
Row 6: 1 sc in each of the next 4 sc, sl st in next sl st.

Finish off leaving a long tail for sewing or Finish off and weave in ends.

Notes on making it in thread (added 8/31/08):
With thread and a size 7 steel hook the Dragon Applique is 2 ½”h x 2 ¼”w.
You may want to add an extra dc to make head more pronounce.
If making a bookmark, you may want to work through both dc loops and sl st loop when doing the 2nd wing. So there isn’t a definite wrong side.

Enjoy!!!!

Copyright to Amelia Beebe AKA champygirl August 22, 2008. Do not claim this pattern as your own and do not sell the pattern. It is free for a reason. Do not copy and paste pattern to another website, please use a link. You can do whatever you want with the finish item you make. You can sell the finish item, or make it for charity, or make it as a gift. Whatever floats your boat. If you do sell the item online, do not use my photo, make your own and take a picture of that.

=========================================================

Winged Dragon Square

post-11825-135897401146_thumb.jpg
PhotoBucket Pic: Here

Copyright to champygirl August 31, 2008

Materials:

Worsted Weight yarn in 2 colors
Dragon Color and Square Color
Size G Hook
Yarn Needle

Finish Size: 10”h x 10”W

Note:
The Dragon is worked in the front loops only, so when you start the square part you will be working in the backloops of the dragon’s body.

The Dragon is worked all in on piece; do not finish off until told too.

Different stitches:

Picot: Ch2, sl st in 2nd chain from hook.

Treble Crochet: Yarn over twice, insert hook in ch3 space, yarn over, pull up a loop, yarn over, pull thru 2 loops, yarn over, pull thru 2 loops, yarn over pull thru last 2 loops.

Dragon:

Body:

Rnd 1: With Dragon color leaving a long enough tail to crochet over, Ch4, sl st to first chain to form ring.
Rnd 2: Ch2, 12 dc in ring crocheting over tail. Join with sl st to first dc. Pull tail taut to close hole. (12 dc do not count ch2)

Head & Neck:

Ch10, sc in 2nd chain from hook, hdc in next chain, [dc, picot, dc] in next chain, 1 hdc in each of the remaining 6 chains, sl st in the front loop of next dc on body. (1sc, 2dc, 1picot, 7hdc)

First wing:

Row 1: Sl st in the front loop of the next dc on body, ch 9, sc in 2nd chain from hook, 1 sc in each of the 7 remaining chains. Slst in same front loop as first slst, ch1 and turn.
Row 2: 1 sc in each of the next 6 sc, ch1 and turn.
Row 3: 1sc in each of the 6 sc across, sl st in the front loop of next dc on body, ch1 and turn.
Row 4: 1 sc in each of the next 4 sc, ch1 and turn.
Row 5: 1 sc in each of the 4 sc across, sl st in front loop of next dc on body.

Tail:

Sl st in each of the front loops of the next 2 dc on body, ch 9, 1 sc in 2nd chain from hook, 2 sc in next chain, 1 sc in each of the 6 remaining chains. Sl st in front loop of next dc on body.

Second Wing:

Row 1: 1 sl st in each of the front loops of the next 5 dc on body, turn.
Row 2: Ch 9, 1 sc in 2nd chain from hook, 1 sc in each of the 7 remaining chains. Sl st in next sl st, ch1 and turn.
Row 3: 1 sc in each of the next 6 sc, ch1 and turn.
Row 4: 1 sc in each of the 6 sc across. Sl st in next sl st, ch1 and turn.
Row 5: 1 sc in each of the next 4 sc, ch1 and turn.
Row 6: 1 sc in each of the 4 sc across, sl st in next sl st.

Finish off leaving a very long tail for sewing head/neck, wings and tail to the square part.

Square part:

Rnd 1: Join Square Color with a sl st to the backloop of the first dc made on body, ch3, dc in same back loop. 2 dc in the back loop of each dc on body around. Join with sl st to beginning ch 3. (24dc, counting ch 3 as a dc)
Rnd 2: Ch2, 2 dc in same st as joining, 1 dc in next st, [2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next st] Do this 11 times. Join with sl st to first dc. (36dc, do not count ch2)
Rnd3: Ch2, 1 dc in same st as joining, 1 dc in next st, 2 dc in next st, [1 dc in each of the next 2 sts, 2 dc in next st] Do this 11 times. Join with sl st to first dc. (48dc, do not count ch2)
Rnd 4: Ch2, 2 dc in same st as joining, 1 dc in each of the next 2 dc, [2dc in next st, 1 dc in each of the next 2 sts] Do this 15 times. Join with sl st to first dc. (64dc, do not count ch2)
Rnd 5: Ch1, 1 sc in same st as joing, ch3, skip next st, [sc in next st, ch3 skip next st] Do this 31 times. Join with sl st to first sc. (32 ch3 spaces)
Rnd 6: Sl st to first ch3 space you come to, ch4 (count as first treble crochet), (2 treble crochet, ch3,3 treble crochet) all in ch 3 space. 3 dc in next ch 3 space, 3 hdc in next ch3 space, 3 sc in each of the next three ch3 paces, 3 hdc in next ch 3 space, 3 dc in next ch3 space. [(3 treble crochet, ch3, 3 treble crochet) all in next ch3 space, 3 dc in next ch 3 space, 3 hdc in next ch3 space, 3 sc in each of the next three ch3 paces, 3 hdc in next ch 3 space, 3 dc in next ch3 space] Do this 3 times. Join with sl st to beginning ch4. (24treble crochet, 24dc, 24hdc, 36sc) (108sts total)
Rnd 7: Ch2, 1 dc in same st as joining, 1 dc in each of the next 2 sts, (2 dc, ch2, 2 dc) in ch3 space, [1 dc in each of the next 27 sts, (2 dc, ch2, 2 dc) in ch3 space] Do this 3 times. 1 dc in each of the next 24 sts. Join with sl st to first dc. (124dc, do not count ch2)
Finish off.

Dragon:
With tail (left from finishing off on dragon) sew (or tack) dragon’s wings, head/neck and tail down to square on Rnds 1 thru 4 of Square part.

Square part:

Rnd 8: Join Dragon Color with a sc to any st on Rnd 7 (of square part). 1 sc in each st of Rnd 7 around, doing 3 sc in each ch2 space (corner).
Fasten off and weave in ends.

Enjoy!!!!

( Winged Dragon Square) Copyright to Amelia Beebe AKA champygirl August 31, 2008. Do not claim this pattern as your own and do not sell the pattern. It is free for a reason. Do not copy and paste pattern to another website, please use a link. You can do whatever you want with the finish item you make. You can sell the finish item, or make it for charity, or make it as a gift. Whatever floats your boat. If you do sell the item online, do not use my photo, make your own and take a picture of that.

post-11825-135897401142_thumb.jpg

Cute pattern.....would make a very cool afghan for a boy! (I suppose that it would be a cute afghan for ANYBODY that loves dragons) I am always on the prowl for boy patterns since I have 3 BOYS and 1 GIRL! :lol Thanks for sharing!:hug About the dragon in your Avatar....Is THAT a pattern as well??!!??

I have since found the additional dragon patterns and the one for farmer bear as well! They are awesome.....are there any others that I have missed?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i'm a harry potter geek and i think these also resemble the phoenix from "chamber of secrets".

i'm going to make this in red and orange and give it a crystal eye (for it's healing tear).

thanks for the pattern. i'm going to make it a bookmark.

• 1 year later...

I really appreciated your posting this pattern! I love dragons and dinosaurs and large reptiles like that, so this was great! It also inspired me to make an afghan featuring the winged dragon squares, along with a couple others that I designed myself. If you'd like to see it, I posted it on my blog at: http://oflions.wordpress.com/2010/10/11/hello-world/ Thanks again!

• 3 months later...

Archived