yarn subsitute

I just downloaded a crochet pattern for Vanilla dress and coat from e-patternscentral.com. The yarn requirements are; J. & P. Coats LusterSheen sport weight yarn with a D hook. I have searched and searched the web for this yarn and I can not find it. It just must not be made anymore. So can anyone advice me on a subsitute yarn? The required gauge is; 10 dc = 2" and 2 dc rows = 3/4". Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much...............Ruthie

I did a search and found this, not sure if it's any help to you? Might help you choose a sub.

J&P Coats LusterSheen Yarn

3-ply, 100% acrylic, machine washable. 1.75 oz/150 yd ball. Variegated colors are consistent with 1.12 oz/100 yds. U.S.A.

We're sorry, but this product is currently not available

I realise it's not worsted weight, but it does sound like something you'd use for a baby project with a D hook.

It is currently marketed under the Red Heart brand. If you search for Red Heart LusterSheen, it's available at various retailers. FYI - I found it interesting to learn that Coats owns all of the following brand names - I guess at one time, they sold it under their J&P Coats brand name, then switched it to the Red Heart brand name.

• Dual Duty Plus
  • Red Heart
  • TLC
  • Anchor
  • J & P Coats
  • South Maid
  • Susan Bates
  • Aunt Lydia
  • Fiskars
  • Velcro
  • Milward
  • Prym
  • Sylko

There is more detailed information about the yarn itself, including color charts, at this page at yarndex:

http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=3011

Ruthie ~ Before you go ordering a lot of Luster Sheen, let me tell you that it is not yarn, but is essentially thick thread, sport weight. Even though you'd swear it's cotton, it's 100% acrylic. It has a shine to it, rather like embroidery floss. I have some in a turquoise that is gorgeous.

I just downloaded a crochet pattern for Vanilla dress and coat from e-patternscentral.com. The yarn requirements are; J. & P. Coats LusterSheen sport weight yarn with a D hook. I have searched and searched the web for this yarn and I can not find it. It just must not be made anymore. So can anyone advice me on a subsitute yarn? The required gauge is; 10 dc = 2" and 2 dc rows = 3/4". Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much...............Ruthie

I LOVE that pattern! I made it last winter for my friend's granddaughter to wear as a dress for church. I didn't have the LusterSheen, so I just used a fingering-weight yarn that I had a sufficient quantity of for the project and it came out beautifully! The pattern is very well written and the dress makes up without a hitch. You are really going to enjoy making it. :)

the closest to the lustersheen in weight is its a size 3 thread. you can get this at michaels and sometimes joanns. maybe other places but thats all here that carrys it or you can use a fingerling weight yarn, if you use baby yarn make sure its the really thin kind cause reg baby yarn is sport weight and it will not be the correct size. that is a pretty pattern though i can't wait to see it when your done with it:D:D:D

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same pattern and found the lustersheen at knitting warehouse.com. Red heart has taken over the J & P coats lustersheen and it is the same yarn same color just more on the skein (335 yd). It is only $3.99 this is $1 less than most places I hope this helps. Tarianna:cheer

Archived