hook for acrylic yarn

I wonder if there is a better hook to crochet with 100% acrylic yarn. I tried aluminum and plastic and it doesn't go as smooth as I would like (to the point I'm not motivated to finish the project). Do you think a hook made with another material would help or is it just the acrylic that it is not very pleasant? Or maybe it is my technique, since I'm still new at crocheting.

Thnaks.

I'm currently working with an acryllic baby yarn that is dragging on my hook. The aluminum hook is also "new" even though it's an old hook that I got in an eBay auction. It was still in its original packaging.

I tried a couple of things --

1. Washing the hook in dishwashing liquid. Helped a bit.

2. Rubbing the hook with wax paper. This made the hook drag a bit at first, but then it got smoother. Not sure if the wax softened with use or the yarn removed the wax.

I use bamboo and susan bates (metal & plastic) hooks and have no troubles. Boye hooks always drag for me.

Sometimes, the way hooks are made and how you hold the hook can effect how things work. The problems can have to do with how you hold the hooks.

Try another brand (either Boye or Bates) and see if there is a difference.

:manyheart

It seems to me that as Sassy said, if you are making squeaking sounds, your tension is too tight. I think tension is more of a factor in this case than the type of hook or material the hook is made of.

It makes sense, but I would think that I would have this problem with all the projects that I started (and not finished - obviously). Or it could just be that since I'm new to crocheting, my tension is still inconsistent.

Anyhow, I ordered some bamboo hooks and I can't wait to see how they feel and if they make the difference.

Thanks

It seems to me that as Sassy said, if you are making squeaking sounds, your tension is too tight. I think tension is more of a factor in this case than the type of hook or material the hook is made of.

• 11 months later...
I wonder if there is a better hook to crochet with 100% acrylic yarn. I tried aluminum and plastic and it doesn't go as smooth as I would like (to the point I'm not motivated to finish the project). Do you think a hook made with another material would help or is it just the acrylic that it is not very pleasant? Or maybe it is my technique, since I'm still new at crocheting.

Thnaks.

I use 100% acrylic yarn with Susan Bates Silverlume hooks and before that I was using the Susan Bates Crystalites. Give it some time to let yourself get used to crocheting.

Archived