Crocheting for troops, vets, wounded and their families

notwprintcess

I crochet and my SD is learning by making red, white and blue ribbon pins. I know there are several charities for military where people can donate squares, blankets, hats and helmet liners; but I've been trying to find a military and/or military family support charity where we can offer these patriotic ribbons and maybe other things like potholders or scarves and other odds and ends besides the usual items.

Does anyone know where to find a charity like this that includes more items than just blankets and hats?

Thank you & God bless.... :)

Do you have any bases local to you? You could try and contact their family support center and see if they have any direct charity's going on at their base. A lot of bases will have drives for their own troops that are downrange and or their families that are staying back home.

You might also try the USO! They do wonderful things for the troops. Our local chapter here in DFW meets and greets the troops at the airport. Sounds like your ribbons would be perfect for that kind of thing.

Do you have any bases local to you? You could try and contact their family support center and see if they have any direct charity's going on at their base. A lot of bases will have drives for their own troops that are downrange and or their families that are staying back home.

okay..thank you...

You might also try the USO! They do wonderful things for the troops. Our local chapter here in DFW meets and greets the troops at the airport. Sounds like your ribbons would be perfect for that kind of thing.

I hadn't thought of that...I'll look for a chapter closer to us...thank you... :)

you can also try http://www.americasupportsyou.mil/americasupportsyou/index.aspx

on the right hand side you will see a menu click on Homefront Groups I"m sure you will find a group near you that needs help. There are many many links to support our soldiers and their families

you can also try http://www.americasupportsyou.mil/americasupportsyou/index.aspx

on the right hand side you will see a menu click on Homefront Groups I"m sure you will find a group near you that needs help. There are many many links to support our soldiers and their families

Thank you...I will check out this one, too :)

• 3 months later...
Soldier's Angels has a crochet team. Small ribbons etc would probably be sent to military chaplains to hand out to troops.

Thank you...I've already tried them as well... of all the places I contacted, no one was interested in ribbons, neither red-white-blue nor yellow...most of the places never even contacted me back so I moved on to some other charities instead, and their needs.

I saw a recent story on TV about Operation Gratitude. Here is a link to what you can do for them. They look like a wonderful organization which sends packages to our troops. Their site says as of today that they have shipped over 390,000 packages. Anyway it says that craft projects are welcome on the list so I wanted to add this information here. It also says letters are most needed for the soldiers and are included with each package.

Thank you, Cindy...actually the scarves is something that's actually TANGIBLE for someone like me!!!! :clap

7. CRAFT PROJECTS:

a) Knit/Crochet Scarves (5-7" Wide, 40-45" long)

Feel free to use your own recipe or here is a sample:

a Scarf Recipe-Use sport-weight yarn with the Mistake Rib pattern that is simple, gives a little body to the scarf and will not curl!!! Using an approximate stockinette gauge of 22 stitches/4 inches cast on however many stitches you want for the width of the scarf as a multiple of 4 and then add five more stitches. For a 4 inches wide scarf, cast-on 24 + 5. For a 6 inches wide scarf, cast on 32 +5. For a 8 inches wide scarf, cast on 44 + 5. For every row *k2, p2, repeat from * ending with a k1. The Mistake Rib stitch pattern does not pull in like a 2x2 rib will but it has a great deal of stretchiness and creates an interesting texture and is reversible.

For more information on The Scarf Project, please email Sharon at: sharhoward39@gmail.com

For more ideas: http://www.tropicalyarns.com/index.cfm?PID=22&ProdID=294

I appreciate the heads-up :hug

I saw a recent story on TV about Operation Gratitude. Here is a link to what you can do for them. They look like a wonderful organization which sends packages to our troops. Their site says as of today that they have shipped over 390,000 packages. Anyway it says that craft projects are welcome on the list so I wanted to add this information here. It also says letters are most needed for the soldiers and are included with each package.

It's funny...I just sent my daughter a whole box of yarn & hooks! :hook Instruction booklets, too! When she was home on R&R, she'd talked about trying her hand at crocheting again. I had some yarn she really liked, so I sent that! I told her to let me know if anyone else wants anything along the same lines. She's in a medical platoon, so there are a few other ladies with her.

Archived