Need Help! Round Ripple Edging: FINSIHED PICS IN POST 1

I made a round ripple for friends we haven't seen in awhile. We saw them the other day and their daughter is ADORABLE. I started a round ripple Sunday night and hope to be finishing it up tonight and we will be seeing "Daddy" tomorrow and I would like to give it to him in person.

Rather than a reverse single crochet what do you suggest that is quick and will look nice?

I was thinking a shell but how do I do that on a round ripple with the peaks and valleys?

Thanks in advance!

Updated 7/31/08

I ended up going with a simple shell and it finished it off nicely.

Closeup

rr-purple-closeup.gif

Edging Closeup

rr-purple-edging.gif

Complete Round Ripple

rr-purple.gif

Haven't seen them since last week when I gave it to our friend to take home to his wife and it was wrapped up. Hoping they liked it. Will see them at the ice rink this coming weekend. At least him since he's our coach.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and assistance! :hug

Hi Mary, I follow pretty much what Joni wrote somewhere. I think in the 6>12>24 CAL. Basically you do 7 DC in the ch 2 of the points, then sk 1 dc, sl st in next, sk 1 dc, 5 dc around. In the dips I slip stitch the 2 stitches that I normally would skip, then go back up doing the 5 dc again. Sometimes you have to "fudge-it" a little to make it come out, but it always looks nice. Hope this makes sense. Good luck! :hug

i have done a shell border pretty simple 5 dc in one stitch skip 2 sc in next sp 2 5 dc in next around

that's what i was thinking, but what about the valleys and peaks, don't worry just stay with the repeat of the shells?

I really don't think a RR needs a special edge, but if you want to make a little thicker border, why not just use a sc?

hubby said just end it like it looks now (double crochet) but the single crochet would work too. sometimes I overthink things.

thanks!

1. that's what i was thinking, but what about the valleys and peaks, don't worry just stay with the repeat of the shells?

when I get to the valley I skip the last and first dc and continue the pattern in the section then at the point I skip the dc just before the point and 5 dc in the point then skip the first dc and continue the pattern :think I hope that makes sense to you

i just finished a 9 point with the shell stitch and did it pretty much like everyone else said. i would skip one stitch, then i did the sc, hdc, double crochet, hdc, sc in the next stitch - skip next stitch - sc in the next stitche - when i got to the peak i would skip the stitches and in the middle stitch of the peak i would do the shell then skip the rest of the peak stitches and sc in the 1st stitch after the peak - then when i got 2 stitches before the valley, do a shell, skip stitch before the valley, sc in the valley, skip next stitch and do the shell in the next. sometimes the #'s don't come out right and you might have to skip an extra stitch, shell, (skip, skip) sc, ( skip, skip) shell again OR shell, no skip, sc, no skip, shell - just play around with it to get it to come out right - hope that made sense.

please let us know how it comes out!!

i just finished a 9 point with the shell stitch and did it pretty much like everyone else said. i would skip one stitch, then i did the sc, hdc, double crochet, hdc, sc in the next stitch - skip next stitch - sc in the next stitche - when i got to the peak i would skip the stitches and in the middle stitch of the peak i would do the shell then skip the rest of the peak stitches and sc in the 1st stitch after the peak - then when i got 2 stitches before the valley, do a shell, skip stitch before the valley, sc in the valley, skip next stitch and do the shell in the next. sometimes the #'s don't come out right and you might have to skip an extra stitch, shell, (skip, skip) sc, ( skip, skip) shell again OR shell, no skip, sc, no skip, shell - just play around with it to get it to come out right - hope that made sense.

please let us know how it comes out!!

Thanks very much, that's very clear and I was wondering if what i did was going to depend on the number of stitches i end up with.

well, unfortunately it didn't get finished. i crocheted from 5:30p - 10:30p and because of the striping pattern i did I gave up with 4 more purple and then the edging comes. so close and yet so far, but there is no way i'm pushing myself on it. we will see them again on sunday now too, so it will wait until then and at least i can take my time and play with the edging and wrap it and such.

thanks so much for the speedy replies and i'll be sure to let you know what I do and post a pic. the afghan is RHSS Lavendar and the varigated Monet.

hmm.... I like the shell idea, but I also like the just single crochet idea. A round ripple doesn't really need a complex edging.

I was just figuring a shell because it is for a girl and her mom really dresses her like a girly-girl, so wanted to make the edging bring the girl out with the purple and the monet varigated.

That is really pretty. Great job and the edging looks nice. I made a blended pastel baby RR and used the shell edging, I think it adds a nice touch to a baby blanket, esp. for a girl.

Archived