Need cheerleaders

goodie2shoes

the only things I have ever knitted are a couple of dishcloths and a cabled scarf, now I finished my first sock Yes ONE sock, now please convince me it gets easier and that I can make the second one.

I am not sure the Kitchener it completely right and trying to make a second one identical isn't going to be easy maybe I can make a similar one. I changed things as I felt because I wanted the sock to fit my heel and fit snuggly in the foot, and sloppy slouchy in the leg. aaaaaaah well please tell me I can do it again so I will have a pair.:eek oh forgot pic of the sock in question.

Clickable

picture007ts6.th.jpg

Wow this came out GREAT!!. I will cheer you on. I am still stuck on the heel portion. I can do the cuff and zip on down thru the heel parts, but when it comes to getting them altogether. forgetaboutit. I am LOST.

SO I will just cheer you on instead!!

:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer

You can do it! Your first sock looks great! I don't think that my socks ever match....but I love to knit them! (I guess the answer to that is to learn how to knit 2 at once on one circular needle....now that scares me!)

Keep up the good knitting....just be warned...socks are super addicting!

More cheering on in a totally amazed and impressed way, because I've never tried a sock and am paralyzed with fright and completely unable to do so.

It's not that they won't match. It's that they will each be individual, unique works of art.

Go go go!!!! Patty

It looks fantastic. You did a great job.

I'm working on my 4th pair of socks and here's a couple of things I do to make things easier for the second sock --

1. Put crochet stitch holders on the rows where things change (i.e. when you finish the toe increases and starting on the foot part, when you start the gusset, when you start the cuff)

2. Then count the rows from marker to marker and write these numbers on your pattern.

Once you have that written down, all other pairs become easy to make because you've already worked out what fits. For my socks, it's 6 3/4" from tip of toe to the row where I increase for the gusset and the bottom part of the cuff is 30 rows.

You Go Girl! Your sock looks great. And just so you know:'

1. It DOES get easier. The first time you do anything knew its awkward.

2. Everyone gets SSS (Second Sock/Sleeve Syndrome) sometimes.

I am a big fan of sock knitting, it is one of my favorites projects for so many reasons. You can't have too many socks. There is no end to the variety of patterns you can make. It doesn't require a huge investment of yarn. It is easily portable. And best of all it is done all in one piece - I HATE sewing up seams.

And don't worry, the Kitchener stitch isn't really as difficult as it seems the first time you try it. Once you get in your mind exactly what you are doing, it makes sense and becomes much easier.

You did great, and yes you can overcome 2nd sock syndrome. :clap

• 5 weeks later...

Second Sock Syndrome - just cast on for that second sock the instant you finish the first sock. Me, I take lots of notes. My socks are always identical. OCD and all - my socks have to be identical. As for the toes - I hate to kitch so I do a round toe from Nancy Bush's book Folk Socks, it's great.

Well I confess I frogged it eeeeeeek!! but then I cast on two socks on two circs toe up, easy peasy as my grand daughter used to say when she was little!! I started at the toe did the foot part made a heel flap then turned the heel and picked up the gusset, I am on the leg stitches now about halfway to the top of the socks and both are coming along nicely whooooooopee:cheer it just made much more sense to me doing two at once. this is right after I turned the heel, showing the top of the foot I will post a pic when done. Oh I love the cast on toe totally avoids kitchener!!!

got sidetracked have to make two cradle purses for two grandkid birthdays this month.

2722999107_356f8a4da3.jpg?v=0

It looks great! You can do the 2nd one! Then you can wear them out in public & people will look at them & say "great socks, where did you buy them?" You will awe them when you say "I just knit them up"................

Try the 2 socks on one circular next itme, I knit my first pair like that, it's easy. (I have a few unfinished 2nd socks to do sometime in mylife.)

:cheer:cheer:cheer

Don't you just love the 2 at once method? May I ask what pattern you are using?

I started with this tutorial by Silver

Read that throughly.

used this for more info on cast on and another here.

I had started a sock then ripped it, It had a slipped stitch heel so I used that heel because I like it , slipping ever other stitch on the knit row then purling the next row (when I was working the heel flap,) you have to make adjustments after you pick up the gusset and start knitting in the round again. I really put together 2 or three patterns or ideas. I stopped the different heel stitch when I had decreased back to my original number of stitches. so just the heel flap and back of the heel are worked that way all of the rest is just Stockingknit. I am just starting the ribbing at the top edge. Probably 2 by 2

Hiya goodie. Hip Hip Hoooray for the first sock. A lot of people work 2 at a time to lesson the anxiety of getting the pair perfectly matched. I don't know about making socks tho, I haven't tried. Mostly, I like to knit up little doll garments--all the thill of making clothing in like 1/50th of the time :) I went to a magic loop class, and it seems to be the rage in sock knitting; perhaps that is something that might further your sock knitting along. Good luck and happy knitting! Hugs, D

I started with this tutorial by Silver

Read that throughly.

used this for more info on cast on and another here.

I had started a sock then ripped it, It had a slipped stitch heel so I used that heel because I like it , slipping ever other stitch on the knit row then purling the next row (when I was working the heel flap,) you have to make adjustments after you pick up the gusset and start knitting in the round again. I really put together 2 or three patterns or ideas. I stopped the different heel stitch when I had decreased back to my original number of stitches. so just the heel flap and back of the heel are worked that way all of the rest is just Stockingknit. I am just starting the ribbing at the top edge. Probably 2 by 2

Rodger Dodger! I have followed your advice and am getting ready to cast on a new pair of socks for my DD today. I'll keep you updated on my progress:knit

Archived