So jealous of you all! ;)

Carpal tunnel doesn not come from a pinched nerve in the neck. It is a compression of the medial nerve in the wrist. The surgery usually releases the sheath covering the nerve (which is putting pressure on it). I have had CTS since 1982; haven't had surgery for it. I started taking vitamin B6, 100 mg a day (it takes about a month for you to start feeling results). The pain started to worsen some years later, and I was diagnosed with trigger fingers on the right hand and I had surgery on 3 fingers in 1995. Shortly before and for a few years afterwards, it was painful to crochet. At some point I slowly picked up crocheting again, and haven't stopped. I still take the B6. I used to wear splints 23 hrs a day; even drove with them. Then I was able to discontinue them during the day, and wore them just at night. A few months ago I decided to test out sleeping without the splints, and I'm doing ok without them. Vitamin B6 acts as an inflammatory medication for CT. Check with your doctor if you can try it out. You have nothing to lose. (I hope you get Nerve conduction velocity tests and electromyography to test if you truly have CT.)

Sore~I sure hope things get better soon! If you truly have ct then the surgery should help. My dad had that several years ago after getting numb hands all the time. I had my right hand start to go numb on me awhile back. I mentioned it to my chiropractor and after an adjustment to my neck it is gone. So I agree I hope you get the tests to make sure it truly is ct. especially since a chiro. visit is alot cheaper and less painful then surgery.

:hug hang in there. you'll be crocheting before you know it! :hook

If a chiropractor was able to ease your symptoms, then it was from a nerve in the neck which does not cause carpal tunnel but it does have similar symptoms. If the problem does stem from the neck, the surgery won't help.

Have you ever tried acupuncture? My pain is from rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis but must say acupuncture does offer some relief. I also wear splints, take drugs, do exercises and don't crochet nearly as much as I would like to. I was offered surgery for my thumbs, which are also a problem but am deferring that as I had 3 surgeries last year, not on my hands or wrists though. Whatever you do decide to do I wish you luck.

Zaraliz

Loads of helpful info can be found on this site - and it has tons of info on this CTS topic ~ it speaks to nonsurgical as well as surgical interventions on each of the mini videos.

It even has one clip that explains why some are better candidates for open release and others for the endoscopic one.

Hope this is helpful to all ;)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/carpal-tunnel-syndrome/CP99999/PAGE=CP00018

Well here's my update. Neither me or my nurse want to do the nerve testing as it's very painful. So I'm in braces for the next two weeks 100% of the time and then 50% of the daytime and doing exercising after that. I may be off crocheting indefinitely. She recommended I learn how to knit.. BLAH. So, to not tempt myself I have packed away all my yarn and projects for the summer. Hopefully I will improve by this fall? I really miss crocheting! :crocheting

Sore

I have had these tests, EMG's and NCV's on a few occasions in the past. The EMG's are a little painful as they insert needles into the muscles and gently twist them. The NCV's aren't so bad. They put electrode patches on and give a very short jolt to them that lasts just a second or two. If done by a good neurologist or Physiatrist, it isn't too bad. A few years ago, I had EMG's done on my back and was anticipating some pain and it was all for naught. The neurologist was so good I barely felt it. It may be important to know if your problem is stemming from compression of nerves in your neck or wrist. That could affect the type of treatment you get. If it is coming from your neck, the PT would involve the neck; if it's coming from your wrist you should see a hand therapist who specializes in that. I guess it also depends on your insurance. Good luck.

I feel for you, I wore the evil braces on both hands until I had the release surgery on my right hand about 8 or 9 years ago. A few months later I had to have a cyst at the base of my thumb removed from the same hand, and the pain and recovery from that was actually much more than the carpel tunnel release. I never have gotten my left hand done, as the chiropractor has shown me some ways to reduce the pain, and I really don't want to lose use of my 'toilet paper' hand, even for a few days, if I can help it. My family would give me nothing but grief over that one.

Well here's my update. Neither me or my nurse want to do the nerve testing as it's very painful.

Sore

No = it's really not!!! I just had it done last month. IT's annoying. It's not what I'd call a pleasant afternoon but it certainly wasn't bad enough to warrant how stressed out I was over the test.

They hook you up to a machine. They'll put a metal loop over your finger and zap you up and down the inside of both arms and hands.

There was only 2 times the I even jumped in the chair. That's saying a lot. I have a chronic pain disorder and exagerated pain - it didn't hurt nearly as much as I thought it would.

Getting the testing done will get you an accurate diagnosis. Please rethink it.

ps - I'm still right there with you.

My hands still hurt. I gave up even trying to crochet. I'm wearing my braces almost every night and during the day when they're bad.

I miss my yarn.

My hands still hurt. I gave up even trying to crochet. I'm wearing my braces almost every night and during the day when they're bad.

I miss my yarn. __________________

~RoseRed~

That's why it is so important to get yourself tested. The test will determine the origin of your pain and give insight as to the type of treatment you should get. The anxiety of the pain of the test is preventing you from finding out your true diagnosis and your treatment options.

(Toilet hand? :lol:lol:lol)

I hope everyone gets better... Just so you know I have been teaching my niece to crochet and she read this with me and said that even though you cant crochet she is going to crochet for all of you.. I thought this was nice coming from a 9 year old..

I really think the surgery is the best option especially when all else fails. I had surgery on both hands as well. My carpal was so bad on my right side that they had to release the pressure from my hand, wrist and elbow which meant three incisions. I still have a bit pain every so often when I overdo it but aside from that it's great. I had to stop crocheting for years because of the problem. I started up again about two or three years ago full swing. Now I know to take it easy when I do so and of course, the new hooks they now have like the Clover hooks are great for my hands and fingers.

Get the tests done even though they are painful but if it's to get you back to normal and back to doing those things you love to do I think it's well worth it.

Get well soon...

Toilet hand???

So use the other hand! This is so silly to be in such pain and not have anything done about it. I had both of mine done, I just used the other hand, it was not a big deal! I never once thought about not having it done because I couldn't wipe my b**t.

Well here's my update. Neither me or my nurse want to do the nerve testing as it's very painful. So I'm in braces for the next two weeks 100% of the time and then 50% of the daytime and doing exercising after that. I may be off crocheting indefinitely. She recommended I learn how to knit.. BLAH. So, to not tempt myself I have packed away all my yarn and projects for the summer. Hopefully I will improve by this fall? I really miss crocheting! :crocheting

Sore

NO THEY ARE NOT! If you can endure childbirth, you can endure the very small amount of pain these test give you. It is so silly to be in so much pain and not have the surgery that will relieve it.

So use the other hand! This is so silly to be in such pain and not have anything done about it. I had both of mine done, I just used the other hand, it was not a big deal! I never once thought about not having it done because I couldn't wipe my b**t.

I'm with you on that . When I had my right hand done I was in a cast going all the way up my upper arm for over a month. I had to learn how to do many things with my left hand. Thankfully, when the left hand was done I had a soft cast up to the wrist for about two or three weeks...that was a piece of cake compared to the earlier one.

Sorefingers...have the tests done and get the surgery. It's better than living with pain 24/7. The tests only last about 30 minutes or so

I had CT in both hands. I had the surgery in 1999 and it worked perfectly! No more problems at all.

I had the nerve testing before the surgery, because the Dr wanted to diagnose the extent of the CT. While it did hurt a bit, it wasn't excruciating and was so short a time, it was no biggie to me.

I just knew I had to do it to get my hands back.

Feel better!

Archived