Costumes/Clothing and Respect

I have had people ask me to design various costume types for my Dora or my 18" dolls. One request that comes up often is that of The North American Native costume. In my way of thinking, This would generally mean a Plains Tribe and the clothing that would be natural to them. I would not want to make that "Costume store... it's Oct. 31st kind of outfit".

I guess the reason that I have not done this so far is that I do not wish to be disrespectful of Natives and their traditions. I know there are many tribes and types out there so that a great variety does exist for the possibilities but that makes it more challenging to avoid offense.

So this brings me to a couple of questions...

1. Would it be considered 'not my place' to design such an outfit or would it be ok to proceed with respect and careful research? I am completely willing to forgo this project. I would rather not do it than do it incorrectly or without due respect. I also realize that just asking this type of question could be seen as disrespectful in some tribes.

2. What would be a good source for that research? (should the project be ok)

I am not pretending that I could make an authentic replica of any given tribal clothing but I can generally follow the overall line and colour effects. I tried :google images and that got me not much more than fancy dress for Powwows and those October costumes.

I know that many people here assist in the Pine Ridge projects so I would really appreciate hearing from them about what they think of this plan.

Dar, Have you seen the one on the AG website. It is not a "costume" really. They have produced a Native American doll and all of the clothing and props to go with her. I honestly don't think that anyone who purchases this stuff uses it as a "costume". I do have a tiny bit of Native American bood in me and for this reason I collect Native American dolls and other things to decorate my home. Mainly, because I am very proud of my heritage and I also think that most Native American items are beautiful and I love to display them. I do not and have never considered them costumes! I for one would not be offended in any way if you were to produce such a pattern and would love to have one for my 18" girls. All of your patterns are wonderful and I'm sure all of us here that know you would never ever think that you meant any disrespect by making such a pattern.

Just my two cents. LOL

Debby

I don't see a problem with you designing a lovely Native American outfit. I find it hard to believe that any of us here would think your design disrespectful in any way. I have never found a nicer, or more accepting, group of people anywhere than right here on the 'Ville. I say go for it. I am a bit Blackfoot, and a bit Cherokee, and I love all things "Indian". I can't wait to see your design, and I have several dolls that need to be dressed! :D

Another research source might be your local library. Ours has several rows dedicated to different cultures/nations/etc...I would think there would be several books with good pictures or drawings of different tribal garments. I don't have any "native" blood in me, but I think it's wonderful that you care so much to keep it accurate and real...which shows so much respect for the many native cultures. I would love to see what you come up with.

HTH

Darski ~ You worry too much. I don't think anyone would think your doll outfits would be disrespectful. You don't mock or make fun of anyone's culture.

i think I am going to try an Iroquois style outfit because I live in 6 Nations territory and a Navajo design because I just love them soooooooo much.

There goes my stashbusting game for next week but it will be so worth it.

Darski...I'ved seen a lot of your Dora designs here and cannot imagine that you would do anything disrespectful at all. In fact, I can envision lots of little girls with a tad of Native American blood being tickled to pieces to have "their" Dora have a special outfit.

mac+

who thinks you are so inspiring that I look forward to getting my own Dora doll and making up lots of stuff for her...for wee girls who might come past my place (surprisingly, now that I'm retired...I'm a wee girl magnet...lol).

I am Apsáalooke (aka Crow) and do not find what you are doing disrespectful at all. I think it is kind and good of how you sought the advice and suggestions of others and seek resources to research.

I would love to see your project upon completion!

Archived