Ami Lovers! This Could Be Fun?

great idea pasteeater....kinda "pay it forward" idea. I'm in...I'll let you know when I make a drop!

Thank you! I think it's fun. I have to make a drop soon myself!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been wanting to try this since I first read your post the other day. Now just to make some and think of places to put them...lol

I'm curious-is there a difference between ami and a plain old crocheted toy? I finished my first crocheted toy today :clap it's a little bunny for a girl who is leaving our daycare next week :(

Usually amis are simple sc rounds with slightly larger heads than bodies... it's a Japanese form of crochet really and oh so adorable!

I love the idea, though in a place like where I live not practical. I hope/pray it works out well for you and that you start seeing a few smiling faces or maybe some kids with the toys.

One of my favorite stuffed animals (it's not really an 'ami', but I make it ami style...) is 'Grandma's Scrappy Bear'. On the web page, it says she makes these to do just what you are doing, pasteeater. She just makes them to give to kids. (She gives it directly to them w/ the parents permission). I am making toys for Kristie's Toy Drive, but I think what you are doing is such a nice idea. :manyheart

Tina

(Scroll down to the bottom of the page to the link that says 'Grandma's Scrappy Bear', that is the only way you can get to this page.) :)

I've done a few now! I have about five new babies waiting for eyes lol. When I first did a drop I felt so sad, but now it's fun! We've left them on the bus.

I've done a few now! I have about five new babies waiting for eyes lol. When I first did a drop I felt so sad, but now it's fun! We've left them on the bus.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is a really neat idea! My husband works in a hospital, so it'd be a perfect place to deposit a few little amis. Someone should set up a website with like, a guestbook or something where people can post if they found one and where. I don't think serial numbers like Book Crossing uses would be needed, but you could put the link on the little note that you put with them. That way those of us that make them to drop around could see if people were actually taking them home.

Either way, this is really sweet idea. I have a lot of backed up projects right now, but when I get caught up I'm going to make some. The Scrappy Bear pattern sounds cute, but it also sounds kind of big. Does anyone have a picture of a finished one?

Pasteeater, I think this is such a wonderful idea and it sounds like so much fun. Please let us know if you ever see any of you ami's again. LOL YOU GO GIRL!!!! I am sure you must have brightened some childs or adults day with this project.

Debby

Debby

• 2 weeks later...

Wow people responded. :cheer Thanks everyone. The project is on hold. I dropped about 10 so far. Right now I am in the process of making 25 for my local CPS office for Christmas time and also some purses. I might even make some of those cute snake scarfs if I can find the pattern. It's warm here even in the summer but I wanted something just for boys.

Hi There was a similar idea with books... People would leave books out on the wild, and then blog about it at a certain blog. The books had a serial number on them especially for this reason and whensb found it he could go to the blog and comment and ten follow the book s journey (he or she had to realease it again once it was read) Maybe you could do sth similar... Create a blog for that reason and blog about the ami s you release into the wild :) and word will get around :) I find it a great idea... You could leave a note with em, with love instructions and the address of the blog ???? Just my ideas on the table

That's so neat, I like this idea too. I think it would be cool to see where they get to. :lol I've often thought of doing the guerilla crochet thing where you wrap a bit of crocheted something around a random fixed object in the community but I don't know how well it would fly here - I live in a town of about 700 people, I'd probably just get all the old folks grumbling about it, lol. Plus I think there are a lot of people who could guess that it was me!:hook:hook I think it's a good idea to leave a note with them.

The Scrappy Bear pattern sounds cute, but it also sounds kind of big. Does anyone have a picture of a finished one?

Hi Kaylana, Go to this thread, post #37. Momw/a Motif poted pics of a couple of her bears from this pattern.

it sounds like a cute idea, but like someone said, people might be afraid to take home things they found in public lol.

maybe you should attach a note saying it was made by ____ and to visit so and so website or something

it sounds like a cute idea, but like someone said, people might be afraid to take home things they found in public lol.

maybe you should attach a note saying it was made by ____ and to visit so and so website or something

They do have notes attached to them. And I know they are being taken. Also I would not say who it's made by and I don't want a website made up for them. I was going to do the site but I decided not to. It isn't about me and I don't want my name out there any way. It's not about people knowing who did it or why. It's about people finding them and smiling.

I was at a lab for routine lab work recently and there was a little girl there about 5-6 getting a blood draw. How neat it would be to donate some to those types of places to cheer up the children after such a traumatic experience for them.

I think if you have tons it's a great idea to share them in any way that brings you joy :)

They do have notes attached to them. And I know they are being taken. Also I would not say who it's made by and I don't want a website made up for them. I was going to do the site but I decided not to. It isn't about me and I don't want my name out there any way. It's not about people knowing who did it or why. It's about people finding them and smiling.

Oh, nice :D

There was something called "Smile Boston" about 5-6 years ago (:think), where a guy left small smiling "alien" looking paintings/drawings around the city. He was written up in some papers and had a web site. I think making people happy anonymously is good thing. God bless you :hug.

Ellie 13

Archived