Help requested for brain surgery patients

Schmetterling

It's really up to you what patterns you would like to use. :) I've used several of the designs at the Headhuggers website and at Bev's Country Cottage for some ideas.

I am trying to keep on hand some solids, some stripes, some more bold or with pompoms for the wee ones. It's pretty open since it just depends on what a person likes.

Thank you!

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Durango is beautiful, and I think it's fairly easy. With normal circles I get mixed up where to put the increases, but with the overlapping post stitches, it's easy. I made two last night. BTW, I use FPTC rather than FPDC.

I also made an Addison Hat by Julie A. Bolduc. It has more holes, but I still like it. http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/free/wearables/f124001addisonhat.shtml

I make it less full at the top, though. It's a good pattern to play around with.

I think I need one of those head things. I have no idea what size the hats I have made really are - I have a fat head so I cant use myself as a dummy. One of them I know is way too small. :(

I think I need one of those head things. I have no idea what size the hats I have made really are - I have a fat head so I cant use myself as a dummy. One of them I know is way too small. :(

Hey, cluless, kids have surgery, too. I'm sure someone has a small head (instead of a fat head, like you :lol). I got my fake head with a wig I bought when I had baby's butt head. I'm sure your hats are wonderful. You always do great stuff!!!!!!:hug

:manyheartplease mail me your address and i will mail 2 i just made 2 nice soft white loose caps i would be so happy to send you them .I will also keep you in my prayers to get well .God bless yo please pm me with your address ,Theresa:hug

I would love to help, I feel sooo stupid for not considering brain surgery patients before your post. Thanks for making me aware. By the way, I love to make hats! I will pm you for your address.

:hug

The Addison is a great cap and indeed the holes are small enough that it's not a concern regarding exposure. I would like to try out that one this week as well!

cluless, any size is great! I moderate the largest international neuro patient/caregiver support board and we have had patients anywhere from a couple months old to the 70's! Whatever you are most comfortable with, there will be a need for.

Theresa, thank you so much for the prayers. After 14 surgeries in the last couple years many people seem to just figure that I'm used to it. Unfortunately this is something that I can never get used to, someone repeatedly cutting at my brain and my spine.

Cheryl, your caps look awesome! Thanks also for the link at your blog leading people to this thread.

I did go ahead and add an icon of hair-less me that people visiting my blog can click on and read about it, and can also contact me if they have upcoming surgery and need a cap.

Tina, no worries, thank you so much for your help!!!

(Sorry for the late response to the last few posts, had an MRI and clinical check-up appointments today along with our car battery dying while inside a store with my family & having to wait for help to get back to the dealership--long day!)

Hi, Keesha. I'm making a variety of caps for you. It will be so fun when my box is ready to send!

I'm making some of the caps pretty large, thinking some people might want a cap that is loose fitting. If I send you something that is altogether too large, please let me know.

In my closet I have some caps I made for regular use. They're not quite as soft as Caron Simply Soft because they're made of Red Heart Super Saver or knitting machine fingering yarn (acrylic). They also don't have the gather ends woven in. I knotted the gathering yarn and cut it of at about 1". This works great for regular people, but I was wondering if it would work for your charity. If not, that's fine. I can always find a home for hats. I thought, though, that I could send you some if you want me to.

I have a friend who has similar challenges, and I know it must be very hard at times.

salos, thanks so much! I'm sure the hats in the closet would be wonderful as well. There is a need for really any kind of hat since patients vary so greatly in their preferences.

Kristy, the yarn from you would be great! That was my first thought when I saw it--how many hats it will allow me to do!!!

Would Vanna's choice work for these caps? I've never made one before, so keep your fingers crossed. LOL It was on sale at JoAnn's, so I grabbed a couple of skeins in a pretty rose color. I petted it before I bought it, and it feels SO soft. Thought it might be good for a cap...that is, IF I can make one. I'm not the best at working in rounds but I found a simple but pretty pattern I want to try. :)

MellyBelly, absolutely! I have touched and admired that yarn in the store many times LOL. I finally ordered 2 skeins in the wee hours this morning (shades of purple variegated). It will be great for caps! Thank you!!

I just sent you a PM for your address. I know I have a couple of hats already made and can whip up a couple of more. I also have downloaded the sewing pattern for the sewn , what is called, chemo caps, that you make out of fleece or soft flannels, etc. Any interest in those?

Hi there!

The sewn fleece and flannel chemo caps are wonderful! I had one of them like that that I wore immediately following showers for a LONG time with each surgery. Because of the impact on my brain stem I can't regulate my core body temperature very well and these caps are wonderful for the regulation problems we have when exposed to changing temperatures like this.

They are also VERY comfortable as sleep caps as well.

Thanks so much!

I mailed off 3 hats to you today and will work on the cloth ones as I can and more crocheted or knitted caps also. I think the cloth ones will be nice and I have that pattern already so now it's just a matter of sitting down and doing one! :)

Thanks so very much!

Please remember if you want to send caps directly to a hospital, the following are the ones who have accepted the offer. Bev of Bev's Country Cottage was so kind as to create a page with the information I was given by the hospitals.

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/neuro-caps.html

Have a good day everyone!

I've got 6 hats so far and the week's not up yet!! I love making hats and never knew I would because this is the first time I've made them!! I'm Hooked!

Here is the hat pattern I wanted to use...will this be OK? It seems I ran across it somehow in searching for chemo/surgery cap patterns, but its not listed 'specifically' for that. Thought I'd better make sure this would be of use before I started...the pattern gives children's AND adult sizes so I thought I might make both, IF they'll work.

Archived