Help requested for brain surgery patients

Schmetterling

You can reach me at crocheting 1 (at) gmail (dot) com. :) Thanks!

btw "PM" is "private message." If you look toward the top right of your screen while you're at Crochetville, by where it has your name, it will say "Your Notifications:" If someone has sent you a PM, it will have a number there corresponding with how many messages you have waiting.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello AZ neighbor!

Sure. Bev (from Bev's Charity Challenge/Patterns Site) was kind enough to make a webpage for me so I could easily share the hospitals that so far have responded to my inquiry with a need for the caps. You can check it out here:

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/neuro-caps.html

Thanks so much! Is there a hospital here in Tucson that takes them?

Yep! I took a huge box and bag to UMC last month. There's a desk inside the front doors where there are a couple volunteers that can help get them to the right folks there.

I have an appointment this week at the new neuro facility that just opened at St Joseph's. I am going to ask while there if they could use any to help them get started with their patients. Will let you know.

Yep! I took a huge box and bag to UMC last month. There's a desk inside the front doors where there are a couple volunteers that can help get them to the right folks there.

I have an appointment this week at the new neuro facility that just opened at St Joseph's. I am going to ask while there if they could use any to help them get started with their patients. Will let you know.

Excellent! I make hats for the preemies/newborns at St. Joe's (both my kids were born there). If they do need neuro caps, I can drop them off when I drop off the baby hats. Just let me know...

We've spent lots of time at St Joe's too unfortunately. I had an emergency c-section there--with no medication whatsoever, fully awake and aware--but they got my daughter out. Amazing, considering 60 seconds prior to her being yanked out everything was perfectly fine and dandy, no problems at all. So anyway, lots of NICU time there. She is 6 now. (My son is 7, born in Flagstaff, a NICU baby also but never in nearly as precarious a situation as DD.)

Pleasant dreams tonight,

K

We've spent lots of time at St Joe's too unfortunately. I had an emergency c-section there--with no medication whatsoever, fully awake and aware--but they got my daughter out. Amazing, considering 60 seconds prior to her being yanked out everything was perfectly fine and dandy, no problems at all. So anyway, lots of NICU time there. She is 6 now. (My son is 7, born in Flagstaff, a NICU baby also but never in nearly as precarious a situation as DD.)

Pleasant dreams tonight,

K

Ugh. No pain killers? I can't even imagine... The staff at St. Joseph's took good care of me and I would be happy to make neuro caps for the new facility.

p.s. I saw the Neurological Center on my way home from the library yesterday. I knew they were doing construction, but had no idea that's what they were building. Nice facility.

I had my appt yesterday after waiting 6 months (this was an emergency to them, nice). I actually liked him and it seems he's going to stick with me. That in itself is a shocker. No neurosurgeon in AZ will take me as a patient b/c of 15 surgeries I've had. My surgeries are done in New York and Maryland because the neuro care in this state is so notoriously bad. That's much of the reason behind the new neuro facility--and the endless commercials they are running to brag about it. We'll see how they do. I'm a bit pessimistic after so many bad experiences here. But anyway the doc yesterday did pretty well.

As fo rthe c-section, yeah, not good memories. It's over now though and I have my girl safe and sound. They did a fantastic job treating her. :)

I really appreciate the help with the project!

Keesha,

Just just read this WHOLE thread. I am so inspired by what you are doing and I would love to make some caps for you!!! I will PM you :-)

I hope you are feeling well.

Hugs,

Candy

• 2 weeks later...

Aw that is kind of you! I really appreciate the help too and know my fellow patients will be grateful!

Keesha,

Just just read this WHOLE thread. I am so inspired by what you are doing and I would love to make some caps for you!!! I will PM you :-)

I hope you are feeling well.

Hugs,

Candy

Here is the page my friend Bev of Bev's Country Cottage made to help me get the addresses out of thehospitals who told me they could use some help from my project. I also give them to my local hospitals as well since I'm there more often than i care to admit, so if those addresses are needed let me know.

Thanks!!

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/neuro-caps.html

Hat are one of my favorite things to make. I would love to help. Just PM me and let me know where I can send my hats.

Cindy

Huge thanks to Patty for the great package of hats that came today! My daughter is spending the day at the hospital next week and I will drop off the hats when we check-in.

Thank you so much again Patty!! Be safe out there. :)

HI I will gladly help, I live in a semi truck for 4-6 weeks at a time so I wouldn't get to mail them until I get home. Post Offices don't have parking for a 75 foot rig:eek. Just pm me your addy, and I will do my best to get them to you on a timely bases.:lol

Patty:hug

• 2 weeks later...

IMPORTANT NOTE!

I sold my house this week and am almost positively moving into a temporary home for a month or two in less than 3 weeks. I have no idea though as of yet where we are going.

If you plan on sending me caps for the project in the next 6 weeks or so, please contact me first. If it is ok, I would like to give you the address of a brand new neurological facility that is in dire need of caps. Then the caps could go straight there instead of trying to get to me wherever I'm at and then me forwarding them.

Thank you! I will update again here whenever I know where in the world my family is going to live.

IMPORTANT NOTE!

I sold my house this week and am almost positively moving into a temporary home for a month or two in less than 3 weeks. I have no idea though as of yet where we are going.

If you plan on sending me caps for the project in the next 6 weeks or so, please contact me first. If it is ok, I would like to give you the address of a brand new neurological facility that is in dire need of caps. Then the caps could go straight there instead of trying to get to me wherever I'm at and then me forwarding them.

Thank you! I will update again here whenever I know where in the world my family is going to live.

Awesome! I finally found a pattern I think will work well and that I will enjoy making. I have some pretty Simply Soft in purple I am just dying to try, so I will get a few done and PM you. Thanks for all that you do. :hug

Hi,

The box of hats from Hampton, VA, was mailed before I read about your move. I hope it won't be too inconvenient for you.

Thanks for giving "My girls" a good cause for crocheting and knitting.

Good luck with the moves. Moving has to be on the top of my least favorite things.

Hugs,

Beth

punkrock, I love purple SS! I do quite a few caps with the orchid SS. :)

basjordan, no worries, I'll be sure to drop it off at the hospital during a run to town. Thank you again!!

The one I'm using is called Iris, it's kind of bright, but pretty I think. This pattern I am working on is a little tedious for me, so I made one out of Yarnbee Italia.. it is the softest yarn, I'm telling ya! I've made several scarves out of it and thought it would be perfect for your cause. I am going to finish up this second one (the simply soft one) and send them. After the holidays I want to make more, but don't want to burn myself out right now, because I have so many other things on my plate.

I have a few questions though.. are there any particular sizes that are higher in demand? The ones I am making are a little bit large, because I figure that there have to be a few people who can't get them to fit.. Also, I am assuming these are for men too (can't forget about the guys)? I can't think of anything else right now.. I could have sworn I had another question, but it escapes me. Thanks! :hug

Any hat, any size will find a home! The 501©(3) I volunteer as an advocate for works with a few parents of infant patients, a sizable group of teens, countless people in their 20s-50's, and occasionally someone in their 60's or 70's. So unfortunately I can't say a certain size is needed, kwim?

Any color, any size, any pattern--it will find a patient. :)

Today is Dec 17 and we begin moving the day after Christmas.

I will not have Internet at the rental home so I'm stuck until we move to the new house; as of right now our closing date is January 20. I'll let you know as soon as I'm back online next month.

The project will continue as always though! :)

Archived