can't find the right stitch!

I need some help. I am trying to find a stitch pattern but can not do it for the life of me! It looks like a star and i know it's made of two shells back to back, one right side and one "upside down". I need it so I can finish working out the border for a square I am working on but can not find this thing at all even though whenever I don't need the darn thing I constantly see it in patterns! I don't even know it's proper name and searching for "star stitch" is leading me to a whole different stitch all together! Help me please. :crocheting

actually looking at that again, I think that's more of an edge stitch. This one is one that is right in the fabric of the pattern. It looks kind of like a big spikey circle star thing. Arg. It's frustrating seeing it in my head and not knowing where i saw it or what it's called

There is a stitch pattern in "The Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Needlework" that is similar to the Star Shell Afghan Pattern (the first one, on the Project Linus page) called "Starburst"... I won't post it b/c of copyright, but if the source sounds familiar, that might be a pointer - their sample swatch does go right out to the edge, the profile of the edge created is a deep scallop.

This hat also uses another starburst stitch.

It's not a Catherine wheel, is it?

Do you have access to a library? Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet has hundreds of stitch patterns, and there are others like The Crochet Stitch Bible that also might help. Good luck!

I was at Crochet pattern Central and saw what I believe you are looking for called the Star Shell afghan but I think it is the same one as marikamum mentioned so I won't try the link.

I knew I had seen that one somewhere though. All those beautiful blues in one place :sigh

Thank you guys soooo much. I knew I had seen it before and the star shell afghan is the exact type of stitch I was looking for. :manyheart:hug:manyheart I knew I had seen it somewhere before but couldn't remember for the life of me where.

Also, I suppose I really should pick myself up one of those stitch dictionaries. Could be very handy in the future!

I'm glad you've found what you wanted, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has learned about some new stitches just by reading this thread! So thanks for asking and thanks to everyone who provided interesting links. I'm going to try the Starbust Hat sometime soon :)

Archived