can I use simply soft in place of baby yarn?

I'm making a hat/bootie set, and while I found a perfectly precious pattern for the hat, the booties I want to make call for baby yarn, while the hat calls for simply soft.

How much of a mess would I make if i used simply soft for both?

Simply Soft seems to be heavier than baby yarn. I have used it in some baby things where I liked the pattern and wanted a bigger size. I love SS yarn.

Hmm... I guess I experement then. If he booties come out big, i guess I go down to a smaller hook?

baby yarn is size 3 simply soft is size 4.

they are both soft but everything is going to come out bigger. Try a G hook.

I'm using one.

Its okay though, I'm just getting a feel for the patterns before I make some to sell. (They're small buisness approved, i figure making sets for church ladies is a VERY small buisness.)

Simply Soft is a pretty thin worsted weight - I use it for DK/baby yarn a lot. My guess would be that on booties, crocheting it at a firmer gauge wouldn't be a problem anyway.

I'll use a smaller hook if need be, I've got lots of toddlers to toss the rejects at.

I love simply soft, but it has a lot more fuzz to it. Maybe you could look at Bernet's Baby Coordinates. I just love that yarn and it is baby yarn weight. It has really pretty colors and it comes out really great and different looking with its variations in colors.

Dorothy by size 3 it's about the weight of the yarn not the size of the thread, thread and yarn are sized differently... look at this chart http://www.yarnstandards.com/weight.html baby yarn falls in the "light" category, so it's a 3, where worsted weight is a 4 (medium weight) yarn...

Thread is sized where the smaller the number the thinner the thread, so size 3 thread is thicker and needs a larger hook than size 30 thread...

Hope that helps

I've even used Red Heart for baby items. Yes you do have to change the pattern or hook to get the correct size. I figure if it's soft enough then the yarn can be used for baby items.

I also like Bernet's Baby Coordinates. That is nice yarn. But sometimes I don't want a "baby" color or I want to try a different pattern.

Debbi

Well, I tried making booties out of the SS.... it turned out super cute, but I think I need to find some way of decorating the bootie a bit more (I made up a pattern, because i was too lazy to FIND a pattern I like... It isn't exactly what i want, but its simple and vaugly matches the hat pattern, which is just a simple stocking cap from one of my OLD books.)

Maybe I'll put on bows. But it worked good, other than having trouble putting the bootie together. (It think its because i was using a very flimsy plastic F hook to slip stitch it together... gonna get a metal hook and try again.)

All in all, a sucessful endevor. the bootie fits my model doll witha touch of toe wiggle room.

Now... what else makes a layette?

Baby layette? IMHO a baby layette consists of a hat, sweater, booties and a blanket or afghan. However there are great patterns out there for the mitts for the newborns hands, soakers (pants), long pants, socks, oneies. The possibliities are endless. Have fun and can't wait to see the pictures. :crocheting

Baby layette? IMHO a baby layette consists of a hat, sweater, booties and a blanket or afghan. However there are great patterns out there for the mitts for the newborns hands, soakers (pants), long pants, socks, oneies. The possibliities are endless. Have fun and can't wait to see the pictures. :crocheting

SWEATER!? Oh carp. (yes, I mean carp, liek the fish, I'm cleaning up my dirty mouth:cheer)

Umm.... anyone know of an easy sweater pattern that I can make to sell?

SWEATER!? Oh carp. (yes, I mean carp, liek the fish, I'm cleaning up my dirty mouth:cheer)

Umm.... anyone know of an easy sweater pattern that I can make to sell?

bevs country cottage has a few nice ones. i used one of her patterns and was able to make the sweater in a day!

Archived