Tanktop HELP!!! - PLEASE

crochetfun

Question

Please help:

I am working on the Sherbert Tanktop.

For some reason I am getting a crooked "seam" at the top part (half double crochet rounds)

Would anyone have an idea what may be a cause?( I don't seem to have extra/missing stitches.)

I have frogged several times, by now I feel really stupid.

I am sure it's something obvious but right now it's just not clicking.:)

Thanks in advance.

15 answers to this question

Sounds that way to me, too, Chick! Either she's missing the first stitch or the last. Are you counting each stitch in each row, also? Make sure you have the same number in each row, and make sure you have the first & last stitch where they are supposed to be. Those are the only things I know that could make a crooked seam.

:ty Well, I sat down w. a tiny sample (16 stitches) and tried again.

I think what I was doing wrong (some of the time at least) is stitching into the slipstitch joining the rounds.

Are you using a stitch marker? If not, I would suggest placing a stitch marker so that you know where the first stitch starts and then count. When you get to your alloted number, sl stitch into the stitch with the stitch marker and then continue with the pattern. I haven't looked at her pattern, but I have worked a lot of patterns in the round.

You will get a seam when you work in the round, but it will go at a diagonal and should be even. So many times while doing hdc I have made errors working in the round. I think it is because my brain wants to add another stitch at the end, must be a visual thing. Just count and after awhile you will get the hang of it.

HDC is the only stitch in the round that I have to count to make sure I'm not messing up. And it always looks funny anyway - I'm making a baby sweater and thank goodness the seam is under the arm because it's pretty pathetic. I'll try joining in a different place next time.:hook

Maybe you should try doing sc instead? I can't imagine that it would make a terrible difference in the pattern and it might help your seam. I wish I could help more. :(

Please help:

For some reason I am getting a crooked "seam" at the top part (half double crochet rounds)

By "crooked" do you mean diagonal? I always get diagonal seams...not sure if that's the way it's supposed to come out but earthwhisper said:

You will get a seam when you work in the round, but it will go at a diagonal and should be even.

So...I dunno....sorry this isn't much help. :blush

Question? Do you have a seam if it is done in the round?

If it's done in the round, you shouldn't get any seam at all.

This tank is done joining the "rounds". It isn't done like, say, aj's wrist bag in the round pattern. That is why she is saying she has seams.

You do the round and join to the first stitch with a sl st , then you ch 2 and hdc in next st continue around and sl st your last st to the first one.

So, you do have a sort of seam. Myself and the other 3 I have spoken to also have that.

Yes, indeed, I was talking about the diagonal seam.

The same thing happened to me when I was doing the "curliegirl hat" all in sc, but there I attributed it to the increases and I have not gone back to it yet to really sort it out.

With the seam being under the arm, at least I would figure that is where it should go, it really should not be a big deal. But, I can't say it's not bugging me.

I like to understand what exactly causes it to go that way.

Thanks for all your input, at least now I don't feel so foolish.:)

Crocheting in joined rounds will cause a diagonal seam, which used to make me think I was doing something wrong. Then I read in New Crochet Basics where it says "Note that with this method you have a definite visible joining line, which moves slightly upward toward the right in a spiral. This can't be avoided and it is the reason garments are often designed in two pieces, with side seams, rather than worked in rounds." It goes on to say that if you turn your work at the end of each round, then you will get a straight seam.

Crocheting in joined rounds will cause a diagonal seam, which used to make me think I was doing something wrong. Then I read in New Crochet Basics where it says "Note that with this method you have a definite visible joining line, which moves slightly upward toward the right in a spiral. This can't be avoided and it is the reason garments are often designed in two pieces, with side seams, rather than worked in rounds." It goes on to say that if you turn your work at the end of each round, then you will get a straight seam.

Now I definitely feel better about it.

On the other hand, now that I am skipping the joining slip stitch, I am getting a straight seam. (I'll just have to make sure I am not losing any stitches in the process.)

Thank you so much for looking it up. I am willing to bet that there are others who did not know that.

Thank you so much for looking it up. I am willing to bet that there are others who did not know that.

Well, I did not know that either! Thanks so much for quoting that here :)

Archived