Tucking in ends

faithdarling

Question

I just started crocheting at the beginning of this month (or was it last month?) and have completed several fun projects. However, I am not sure if i've tucked in the ends properly. I am kind of spastic about it -- I weave the yarn back and forth at least three times, but sometimes it leaves a discernable lump. What is considered the "proper" way to do this?

18 answers to this question

There are two methods I love to use for weaving in ends. Actually my first and favorite method doesn't leave any ends to weave in. It does not work with all yarns, but I use it whenever I can. It is called the Russian joining and you can see how to do it here: http://www.knittinganyway.com/freethings/russianjoin.htm . It works very well for most of my applications. As for the actual weaving in of ends, the way that looks best, in my opinion, is a bit tedious. But it's invisible. That involves splitting the yarn, as a couple of others here have mentioned. If it's a 4 ply yarn I will weave each of the four plys into a slightly different spot and that way it adds no bulk.

If you need to neaten the ends on ribbon yarn, just take a needle and thread, doubled, tie the ends together and stitch the tails down, at the back of the work.

I usually do the first stitch through the loop created by the knot, then stitch over the tail, 3 or 4 times, into a stitch, then finish off with a knot by making a loop, put the needle through the loop 3 times then pull it down firmly to lock in place.

Hope this is helpful.

Colleen.

I weave my ends pretty thoroughly. I try to crochet it in if I can, but if I forget or can't, what I usually do is I try to weave it in lines, through the crochet stitches, so there aren't any big lumps. Also, I know others say not to, but I try to split my yarn with the yarn needle, and weave it into the other strands of yarn. It feels more secure to me that way, and as long as the yarn that's split doesn't show (go for the center of stitches) it doesn't effect the look of the piece.

Yes, you are being too careful.:blush Read my other answer and you will get some hints on how to stop the tails popping out etc.

As long as you have joined your yarn securely:eek , the ends only need to be neatened. Experiment a bit on some waste yarn and get it looking neat but it does not have to be perfect.:cheer

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

My main problem is just that there tends to be lumps on the "wrong" side of the fabric. Is this ok? I weave my ends in very securely -- I'm just wondering if I'm being TOO careful about this.

I always leave a rather long piece at the start. I like to weave them in one direction and back and forth.

When I have been lazy with weaving the ends in securly, I end out with a lot of little ends peaking up.

Mary

If you have joined the yarn in securely, you only need to weave it in enough to tidy things up. I always thread the ends back in the opposite direction from where I was crocheting, always through the same colour and through the thread when I can. If you only go through loops, it has potential to pop out :eek but when it is through thread, it has something to grip on.:yay Always stretch the area before cutting off the tail to make sure you have allowed for movement of the stitches while being worn or used.:cheer

Have fun.

Colleen

I like to use the steel yarn needles -- unless it's something really big and loopy... then I use the big plastic ones with the huge holes. I weave the yarn back in as much as I can, trying to switch direction at least once. I try to leave myself at least a 6" tail to work with, and try to weave all of it in. I can't make myself sew in 2" and leave it at that -- I need security! :D

I try to crochet over my ends but when I forget, I weave them back & forth thru the piece I'm working on trying to keep in the same color group if there are more than 1 color being used. I either use a weaving needle or a real small crochet hook (which I find works easier than a needle sometimes).

I am not sure I do it properly either, but I have always just taken a tapestry needle and and threaded the tail back through several stitches (approximately 1 1/2-2"), then cut the remainder of the tail off flush with the finished piece...How does everyone else do it?:think

Archived