Shawler CAL

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KRAKOVIANKA:

I really splurged on the yarn--Katia Azteca, 50% wool, 50% acrylic. It's self-striping and soft, soft, soft. I'm loving working with it and can't wait to wear this! You can see the yarn here: http://www.yarndexforyarn.com/Azteca_by_Katia_yarn.shtml

I bought the 7803 color--shades of green.

I've seen the Azteca listed as worsted weight, bulky weight, and aran weight, so who knows? The yardage is about right, so that's what counts.

Can you tell me how many yards in each skein? Thanks! (the website gives it in meters and I'm too duh) :think How many skeins did you get? I'm wondering if 10 would be enough.

I really splurged on the yarn--Katia Azteca, 50% wool, 50% acrylic. It's self-striping and soft, soft, soft. I'm loving working with it and can't wait to wear this! You can see the yarn here: http://www.yarndexforyarn.com/Azteca_by_Katia_yarn.shtml

I've seen the Azteca listed as worsted weight, bulky weight, and aran weight, so who knows? The yardage is about right, so that's what counts. I'm using interconnected double crochets so I won't have the gaps that dc usually gives, and I'm loving that, too (it's the first time I've used that stitch).

Can you tell I'm excited about this project? I've been under a lot of stress lately--still ongoing--and yesterday I indulged in some serious retail therapy, and am now spending my time making something for ME.

I'm not divulging how much I spent on this yarn, though. :lol It was my money, so no one needs to know!

The yarn you picked is gorgeous! You will be so happy that you splurged on yourself!

What a great idea using linked DC is! I think I will use that on my next one because the yarn isnt bulky/fuzzy/textured and that will solve any problems.

For those who don't know what this is, here are a few links:

http://www.crochetme.com/linked-stitch-tutorial

http://vodpod.com/watch/790707-linked-treble-stitch-the-crochet-side

http://www.monkeysee.com/play/10394-crochet-linked-stitches

Hugs

Kath

Beautiful yarn. This is going to be a beautiful shawler.

I wanted to ask you. What is the interconnected double crochet stitch. I don't know that one.

I've been peeking in this thread off and on for a long time. I've had the shawler as a WIM almost from the first time I saw the pattern. I just love the look. So finally, FINALLY, I bought the yarn for it, came home and ordered the pattern, and I'm off and running--about 15 rows done so far.

I've seen the Azteca listed as worsted weight, bulky weight, and aran weight, so who knows? The yardage is about right, so that's what counts. I'm using interconnected double crochets so I won't have the gaps that dc usually gives, and I'm loving that, too (it's the first time I've used that stitch).

Can you tell I'm excited about this project? I've been under a lot of stress lately--still ongoing--and yesterday I indulged in some serious retail therapy, and am now spending my time making something for ME.

I'm not divulging how much I spent on this yarn, though. :lol It was my money, so no one needs to know!

Wow, Shelle, I hope you don't need 10 skeins! The pattern says 6 skeins of Homespun, with 185 per skein. The Azteca has 197 yards per skein, and I only bought 6 balls. I'm not even planning to make the hood. I'll let you know how many I used when I'm finished. I'm using the recommend K hook, too. I can tell the suggested 38-40 rows will be enough (I've measured and done the math).

Believe me, I'm hurrying as fast as I can. I want to wear it as well as make it, on one hand, but on the other hand, this yarn has to be one of the nicest I've ever used and I'm loving working with it--enjoying every minute. The linked doubles slow me down a bit. I'm really on :c9 with this project.

By the way--the interconnected or linked doubles are not hard. The idea is to connect the tall dc stitches so that there is less of a gap between them. A couple of posts back, Kath posted some tutorial links, but basically, after wrapping the yarn around the hook, you slip the hook through the side of the previous dc before inserting it into the next stitch. When you pull up your first loop, you pull the yarn through that extra "loop" at the same time, then finish as usual for a dc stitch.

For me, it's going to make the finished shawler much more functional as the sweater/jacket I intend it to be.

This is what I found out.

180 meter = 196.8503937 yard

Can you tell me how many yards in each skein? Thanks! (the website gives it in meters and I'm too duh) :think How many skeins did you get? I'm wondering if 10 would be enough.

I am going to have to go back and find the tutorial links. Then, I am going to have to try this stitch that you are telling about.

Oh.. I don't know if I crochet loose or what, but, I am on my 7th skein of homespun and just got the hood done. Have not done the cuffs or the edging yet. I amusing a K hook though, that could be causing me to use more yarn

By the way--the interconnected or linked doubles are not hard. The idea is to connect the tall dc stitches so that there is less of a gap between them. A couple of posts back, Kath posted some tutorial links, but basically, after wrapping the yarn around the hook, you slip the hook through the side of the previous dc before inserting it into the next stitch. When you pull up your first loop, you pull the yarn through that extra "loop" at the same time, then finish as usual for a dc stitch.

For me, it's going to make the finished shawler much more functional as the sweater/jacket I intend it to be.

I finally finished the Shawler today.

I dont think it has come out as big as others have made and that could be due to the yarn I used but as its going to my daughter it should be big enough.

th_P1030812.jpgclickable

Very nice. I love the colour as purple is one of my favourites. Cathy:)

I dont think it has come out as big as others have made and that could be due to the yarn I used but as its going to my daughter it should be big enough.

th_P1030812.jpgclickable

I think it is beautiful!! I am also a big fan of purple.

th_P1030812.jpgclickable

Very nice! Love the color! I have a confession, I increase every row to get additional length, I like things extra long.

It's probably way too late to join this one but I did get the pattern today. I am doing my first one in heather gray bernat softee and my next one in homespun. I thought I would be able to see the stitches better with the bernat and that would help me out with the next one in homespun.

It's probably way too late to join this one but I did get the pattern today. I am doing my first one in heather gray bernat softee and my next one in homespun. I thought I would be able to see the stitches better with the bernat and that would help me out with the next one in homespun.

Definately not too late :)

It's finally cooling off here so I can make another! :)

Hugs

Kath

It's never too late to join in! :clap I will be starting another Shawler as soon as I finish my current wip.

I agree that it not too late. I just started my shawler this week.

Actually- I may have started two!

I bought Bernat Softee Chunky in taupe for this but when I strarted working with it, I didn't like it. Not very soft, too stiff and bulky looking. I didn't think it would drape well. I also thought that the color would make my shawler look like a burlap sack!

So I went back to the store and bought some Bernat Soft Boucle. Color Teal Twist. It's a teal mixed with two shades of brown.

I started the Shawler in the Boucle and since i couldn't see the stitches well and needed help understanding the pattern I practiced with the Softee Chunky. Now I have two Shawlers in progress! Although both in the early stages, I think I might go ahead and make both! I like having the option to work on one where it's easy to see the stiches and one that is a bit more challenging.

With a size K hook they're coming out about the same size.

Having trouble with the cuffs. I think I am going to have to do a mock up of the shawler and then practice the cuffs with a different yarn. I will get it though. I wanted to make this so bad that I am not going to let a little unevenness with the cuffs stop me.

I did!! My problem is that they want to go down hill. I thought the tutorial was a wonderful addition to this thread. I saw what I was to expect with the cuffs. I just seem to be working down hill and it really looked funny!!!

Did you see the cuff tutorial on Post #178? Might help. :hook

Archived