Question about Lion Brand Pound of Love yarn

tiniree

Question

I have several skeins of LB Pound Of Love yarn that I purchased loving the colors.

I haven't used any yet as I am in love with the Caron One Pound yarn. It's so much softer than RH and I like think the stitch definition is better too.

I've been going thru my stash and I need use up some and thought of using the LB POL. However, after getting it out it and looking at it, its seems to me that it appears and feels thinner than the RH WW and also the Caron One Pound. The label says 4ply WW.

Has anyone else noticed this? I want to make a throw for my son as I have 4 skeins of the Denim, but now I'm wondering if I need to use two strands?

Anyone use this yarn?

Marie

9 answers to this question

I just finished a baby blanket in the Pound of Love. Yes, it feels much thinner than the One Pounders or Red Heart SS. The suggested hook size is a J which I found weird but that may be because it's intended for baby articles and you wouldn't want them to be too heavy. I didn't like the Pound of Love that much. It split a lot and was thicker in some areas and thinner in others. I probably won't buy it again. It's a good bargin tho, especially if you catch it on sale. Maybe try a swatch with a smaller than recommended hook and see if you like that.

Aside from the thickness, you may also want to check very carefully the price per ounce. At my local craft stores and at Wal-Mart, the "pounders" are more expensive by a couple dollars than buying the smaller skeins.

I found it to be a bit thinner on the baby blanket that I made. It was soft, but I was very annoyied with how much it stretched. The other squares in the blanket that were Caron or RH turned out without strechiness, and the ones from the pound of love were huge in comparison even though I used the same hook and the yarn was thinner. If I ever use it again, I will make a pattern where I turn the square every round. That might help with the stretch. I really don't recommend this yarn for anything large because it is so stretchy.

I've had both good and bad luck with this yarn. Sometimes it splits easily and other skeins it's wonderful. Generally I use this for the baby blanket pattern on the label because I like the colors. I did use it for a sweater once, worked well and was nice and soft, but the quality is not consistent.

It is thin & with my current project for a co-worker that is fine. We live in a hot, humid area & the baby is coming in May. She doesn't need heavy blankets. I'm not too keen on it for other projects, so with my leftovers I may just make a scrapghan for another baby. The splitting is the part that has bothered me the most, though.

Archived