Blankets for Babies

TMKA

I usually use RHSS or Caron Simply Soft, but since I can get RHSS at the grocery store, I use it more often and after a wash it's fine. It's also pretty durable for many washes, as babies do tend to be very messy.

I was thinking about using CSS cause is so soft and works up so fast, but when I found this sale, I was like, cannot beat that. :yes

And you nailed it, after I posted I was thinking of other RHSS qualities and there's no more durable yarn.

Gonna order some :devil :devil :devil :devil Happy day!!! LOL

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, Azalea--I just got an e-mail back from Robin (so much faster than waiting to get a call back!) and she said if you think it's suitable for an infant, then that's fine with her.

I think these are going home with the babies, not being used in hospital, so there aren't any worries about medical equipment getting caught up in it or anything--plus, the hospital staff can use their best judgement and give the blankets with more lacy patterns to infants who aren't going to require that sort of care.

wow, our blankets are gonna be taken home? That's so cool!!! I am sure the moms will treasure them.

How many babies are born daily? :think:eek quite a few I would imagine. We better get our :hook:hook smoking. LOL

Yes! These blankets are going home with the babies! Isn't that awesome?! These things we send will end up cherished and put in baby boxes and handed down to other babies. :manyheart I just can't tell you how much I adore that idea. :manyheart

I don't know how many are born there daily, but I know that 4,000 babies are born at Denver Health annually (so, mathematically, that's about 11 babies per day on a non-leap year)...and 90% of those babies are born to families who are truly in need--they live below the federal poverty line. That means out of those 4.000 babies, only 400 every year go home to families who MIGHT be able to afford to go out and buy blankets if they need them. 3.600 babies will go home to a Mama who has to make choices like, food or energy? Medicine or rent?

It just gives me chills. This isn't the most important thing they'll get for their babies, but it's something that they might not be able to aford to give them. It's a small thing, I guess, but I just know that those first things your baby has are so important emotionally, if not physically. They can get help to pay the other bills, but those little things like blankies and coming home outfits and stuff get overlooked, I think. I can't help in many ways--I don't have a lot of money, but I just thought this would be something I (and many of you!) COULD do, you know?

:cheer:clap Get your blue :yarn and :hook out and get ready to :crocheting. Mailed out the box of squares this morning TMKA!!! If I am not mistaken (my memory is getting bad :lol), I think I counted 41 7 inch squares. Actually, I think they are a little bigger than 7 inches. Anyways have fun joining.

Thanks for taking them off my hands and offering to join them.

After you get them joined would it be possibly to see a pic. I am just curious to see how they will look joined :lol:D.

Thanks Again!

Scooby

You are more than welcome!! :hug When I found them in the closet several days ago, I thought OH GEEEZ, LOUISE, what am I going to do with these (I just made a rhyme :lol) because I knew I would not join them as I am not very good at that. I can't say that I haven't tried. When I made those squares I had every good intention of joining them together to make an afghan, but when I couldn't get them joined right I got frustrated and evidently shoved them in the back of the closet and purposefully forgot about them :devil. So, after finding them again, I placed them back in the closet and decided to hang on to them hoping that I would find them a good home. And lo and behold, you posted this thread :cheer:clap. I was excited and on :c9 when you accepted them :yay.

I will be working on more squares this weekend to send your way.:manyheart

Thanks in advance for posting me a picture when you get them done. I can't wait.

I have made Baby blankets out of the Red Heart Super Saver using the

very large hooks (Sizes L, M or N) and they made up faster and were

as soft as the baby yarn. Susan Bates now is carrying the Larger size

hooks in metal, and they even have some made of metal with the bamboo

handles.:clap Up til now I have been using the Plastic larger hooks and I hate

those.:(

as soft as the baby yarn. Susan Bates now is carrying the Larger size

hooks in metal, and they even have some made of metal with the bamboo

handles.:clap Up til now I have been using the Plastic larger hooks and I hate

those.:(

I was thinking in using a J hook, but if you say an L is ok, even better. I have a size L with the bamboo handles :c9

I have a baby blanket just sitting here looking for a home, send me an address and I can pop it in the mail. Since this will be an on going, I will also add you to my list of charities and drop blankets in the mail as I can!

I will probably be finishing a blanket today, no later than tomorrow.

I want to wait and mail more stuff though. I am gonna get one of those flat rates boxes and try to save some on postage so I can buy more :yarn and more :yarn:yarn :yarn :yarn.

You are more than welcome!! :hug When I found them in the closet several days ago, I thought OH GEEEZ, LOUISE, what am I going to do with these (I just made a rhyme :lol) because I knew I would not join them as I am not very good at that. I can't say that I haven't tried. When I made those squares I had every good intention of joining them together to make an afghan, but when I couldn't get them joined right I got frustrated and evidently shoved them in the back of the closet and purposefully forgot about them :devil. So, after finding them again, I placed them back in the closet and decided to hang on to them hoping that I would find them a good home. And lo and behold, you posted this thread :cheer:clap. I was excited and on :c9 when you accepted them :yay.

I will be working on more squares this weekend to send your way.:manyheart

Thanks in advance for posting me a picture when you get them done. I can't wait.

That, right there, is destiny! :lol Those squares were meant to come to Denver and go home with a baby!

Thanks again!

as soft as the baby yarn.

That's a good idea--I bet the worked up super fast with a bigger hook!

I will probably be finishing a blanket today, no later than tomorrow.

I want to wait and mail more stuff though. I am gonna get one of those flat rates boxes and try to save some on postage so I can buy more :yarn and more :yarn :yarn :yarn :yarn.

That's just fine by me. Postage gets expensive, so definitely get a box full before you send!

Found 2 baby blankets , mailed off this am :yes

:cheerThank you very much, Lora!

Just finished the first blanket. I made an Ripple. I just love them.

I have to tuck in the tails tomorrow and then I'll try to post a pic. I am gonna work on a few more things and mail all together maybe end of April.

PM me your addy and when we get home I will see what I have already finished. I can work on grannys as we truck down the road (when I'm not driving):devil

Awesome! Thank you!

PM is on the way!

I guess it would help if I asked you to PM your addy to me:blush. Thanks

Can you use a RR baby afghan?

I sure can.:c9 Anything made with love!

I'll PM you when I'm done posting here!

Just finished the first blanket. I made an RR. I just love them.

I have to tuck in the tails tomorrow and then I'll try to post a pic. I am gonna work on a few more things and mail all together maybe end of April.

:cheer:clap Excellent! Thank you so much!

I have a bunch of fleece that I will put a nice crochet edge on if you pm me your addy. I've gotten 5 done and will try and send them asap!!!:cheer

Oh my gosh, thanks! I'm PMing you right now! :hug

I got three packages in the mail today! Two beautiful blankets from Lora, a gorgeous one from Nancy and a box of Broncos squares from Robin! Thank you ladies so much! I'll take some pictures tonight and post them for you!

Archived