Colors for Ripples.

I too am a fan of the monochromatic ripple ghans but I really cannot think of a Ripple combo that I have not liked when I saw it.

My personal fave is a spectrum ghan... no wait; it's one in blues, um no.. I meant to say one done in all the rosy shades...

See what I mean? And then you see one that is done in all white :c9

Yep, it's a personal thing. I've made them in bright rainbow colors, pink/purple/white, blue/navy/gray, uh.... hmm.... lemme think... white/pastel verigated... uh....

I second Darski on her favorites... er... maybe... but what about.... :D

(Basically, any color(s) that you'd want to make a different pattern in, can be used for a ripple... verigated yarns give a neat effect, but solids are neat too...)

Afghans can be made of one color, several shades of one color (Purple, violet, pale violet) and any other choices you may have.

If you are unsure of what goes together, consult a color wheel. Complimentary colors are the ones directly across the wheel. It's fun to see what really can go together.

:manyheart

A couple of weeks ago I bought yarn for a ripple afghan that I want to make.

Dark purple, a dark olive and dark red.

I really love this color combination. It looks so rich together.

You just made the point of the other poster... olive (green) and red are complimentry colors and purple is... bah... now I forget the word... where you don't use what's directly across, but on either side of the complimentary color... stupid preggo brain forgetting things :P

Anyhow, you'll find that most people prefer things that are complimentary, this other scheme or monochromatic (i.e. light to dark of the same hue).

You just made the point of the other poster... olive (green) and red are complimentry colors and purple is... bah... now I forget the word... where you don't use what's directly across, but on either side of the complimentary color...

Analogous colors.

Also you don't have to use complimentry, monocromatic, or tertiary.

You can use jewel colors, pastels, etc. as long as they are the same tone.

Basically what everyone is saying I agree it depends on what you think. I made them in different colors like I just made a 9 pointer in scraps of pink and yellow that I had. I'm about to do another one in scraps of purple for my god daughter she doesn't care the color pattern just as long as it's purple, I have another god daughter who wants one in pink and I have some scraps of that left too. I also got one more god daughter who wants one in rainbow colors like the jacket I made her and I still have that left so it just depends really.

And another option :

any three colors that are side by side on a 12 part colour wheel, such as yellow-green, yellow, and yellow-orange.

I think this is called analogous colours.

If you need ideas,just check some of the crochet-alongs for posts with photos.

So many great ones have been made.

The possibilities are truly endless. Just do what makes you happy !

they're all beautiful. i've made rainbow ones and a beautiful one that chrome kitty posted - it used two strands and the colors blended so beautifully. i want to make one in shades of pink next i think. i never get tired of looking at them.

If you're struggling to decide, one trick that might help is to go look at the variegted or space-dyed yarns (the ones that are multiple colors in one skein) and see which ones you like best. Then you can pick the colors that are in that yarn to make your afghan, because you know you like them together. I've done this with sweaters and it works for me. Sometimes it's just hard to decide!

:shrug

You just made the point of the other poster... olive (green) and red are complimentry colors and purple is... bah... now I forget the word... where you don't use what's directly across, but on either side of the complimentary color.

This is an analogous colour scheme. I love those too :sigh

Archived