Not exactlya sighting, but a neat story...

I was talking to the friendly neioghborhood priest the other day and heard a great crochet story. If you ever doubt the value of a good comfortghan, you won't.

Fifty years ago this Lent, Father Rowan was ordained. The ladies of his home church made him a crocheted afghan with fifty different squares in it. For the past half-century, the afghan has gone everywhere he did, through a variety of posts here and abroad. As he said, no matter where he was or whether he knew anyone, he had the afghan to curl up with when le lay down for a nap. It's been to the hospital with him when he had serious surgery. One edge wore out, and a crocheter at church fixed it for him (to his evident relief.) He's close to retirement and posted back here a few miles from where he grew up. The afghan is close at hand, and he still remembers the day he got it and the ladies who made it for him. The fifty squares were a wish for fifty years in the priesthood; now I hope he gets a few more added on!

What a lovely story.

And the nicest thing is that he cared enough to keep hold of it for so long and to take it everywhere with him. I am glad that a kind person mended it for him, and hopefully someone else will keep doing this for him.

Archived