stitch marker question.

jujubeanboutique

Question

I feel so stupid asking this but this is really the first time I've had to use a stitch marker. Where exactly do I place the stitch marker? Do I place it on the last stitch or the first stitch of the next round? Also where in the stitch do you place it where it won't be in the way. I'm using a safety pin. Is there somewhere online I can read about this and possibly see some pictures? I'm a very visual person.

16 answers to this question

Hello :)

I have a question about place markers. I'm currently making a sweater, and doing the sleeves part.

And here's the pattern that confused me:

Cont even in Texture Pat until Sleeve from lower edge measures 171⁄2", ending on a WS row. Place markers at each end of last row. Work a further 5 rows in pat.
Fasten off.

I want to ask the bold text :

is that mean that I place the markers on each end of rows until it reach 17 1/2"? or place the markers only at each end of the last row (the very last row when it reach 17 1/2") ?

and do I have to place markers on the last 5 rows in pat too ?

Thank you in advanced,

Cindy :)

I move it as I go along. I'm making a hat. I've always used the join method when making a hat and this way i'm just doing a spiral (no joining).

Ohhhhhh I see! That makes sense of course. Silly me. :blush I'd had this vision of a hat in regular rounds with a stitch marker hanging off the last stitch in each round. :lol Could've been quite pretty .....

Also if you have a pattern that says to do the stitch at the end of a row in the top of the turning ch3 I put it in the top there when I do my ch3 so when I come back around I know where to put the stitch, if I didn't do that I could never get through a pattern. I can't live without my boye closed ring stitch markers and have about 6 boxes of them because I am always giving them out to new people I meet that have never used them and then every one ends up buying them too. Mary

that is a good idea Mary! This pattern isn't calling for me to do that but I will do that when I come across a pattern that does!!! Thank you!

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it sounded to me as if you are leaving the stitch markers in place permanently? You sound really happy with what you're doing, so that's all that matters, but normally stitch markers are used to just "mark" a stitch until you reach it. They provide a guideline, and then you remove the stitch marker and put it in the next place you need a guideline for.

I read it that maybe you're using the decorative stitch markers that knitters use and leaving them in your work, but maybe I've misunderstood. I'm really confused as to why it's making your work look pretty and why you don't need a slip stitch anymore?

I move it as I go along. I'm making a hat. I've always used the join method when making a hat and this way i'm just doing a spiral (no joining).

Also if you have a pattern that says to do the stitch at the end of a row in the top of the turning ch3 I put it in the top there when I do my ch3 so when I come back around I know where to put the stitch, if I didn't do that I could never get through a pattern. I can't live without my boye closed ring stitch markers and have about 6 boxes of them because I am always giving them out to new people I meet that have never used them and then every one ends up buying them too. Mary

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it sounded to me as if you are leaving the stitch markers in place permanently? You sound really happy with what you're doing, so that's all that matters, but normally stitch markers are used to just "mark" a stitch until you reach it. They provide a guideline, and then you remove the stitch marker and put it in the next place you need a guideline for.

I read it that maybe you're using the decorative stitch markers that knitters use and leaving them in your work, but maybe I've misunderstood. I'm really confused as to why it's making your work look pretty and why you don't need a slip stitch anymore?

I use little pieces of cc yarn as st markers. If the pattern is rather fancy, I place one every row Just before starting a new row. If the patern is fairly plain (sc al rnd for instance. I place one every 5 rows. I will even do this on a flat piece such as an afghan that has lots & lots of rows. Really helps with counting rows either on flat or rnd. pieces.

Well - - first of all don't EVER feel stupid asking ANYTHING. I've been crocheting for 40+ years and every now and then have to sort of wonder about things :think especially the way some patterns are written - - hard to figure out what the writer means by "starting stitch" "same stitch" - - stuff like that. I had a pattern that used those two terms back and forth and interchangedly (is that a word:lol?) and just had to figure out what she meant. (This was a second-time writer).

Anyway (now that I've rambled on).... yeah, you just do what you feel is logical to you unless the pattern specifies where to place the marker, which is most times the case.

Have fun!!!

Thank you! It doesn't say where to specifically put it. Its just so I don't get lost in the rounds. I'm making a hat. I really like this way better then the slip stitch and think I will make my patterns work list this from now on!

Well - - first of all don't EVER feel stupid asking ANYTHING. I've been crocheting for 40+ years and every now and then have to sort of wonder about things :think especially the way some patterns are written - - hard to figure out what the writer means by "starting stitch" "same stitch" - - stuff like that. I had a pattern that used those two terms back and forth and interchangedly (is that a word:lol?) and just had to figure out what she meant. (This was a second-time writer).

Anyway (now that I've rambled on).... yeah, you just do what you feel is logical to you unless the pattern specifies where to place the marker, which is most times the case.

Have fun!!!

Archived