Wishing I could make my own designs!

I sure wish i had the technical skill to make my own designs. I tried once but it just ended up a disaster! Being a teen crocheter, it's tough to find patterns that i actually LIKE and would wear! One day i'll do it though. Maybe i'll find a site that has a billion modern, fashinable, colourful, hip, funky patterns....who knows. Then I'd be on :c9

Plus :crocheting your own patterns has it's perks....such as... $$ haha. jk jk. but it means a perfect fit, and pride that you did it by yourself.

hm maybe those that have designed their own could help me.

! or maybe someone has an amazing site for patterns that a teenage girl would love :yay then i would be happppppy!:cheer:cheer:cheer

!!!!!!!!!! AND DOES ANYONE ELSE NOTICE THAT normal crochet patterns are all TOO SHORT! they go to like my waist and always rise up :angry. I want them to go pastttt my waist and sit comfortably and WON'T rise up :yes:yes:yes:yes

I can sympathize with your frustration. Some of the crochet mags seem to have fairly current fashion trends in them (more so than the books, though they seem to be catching up) My personal style doesn't match what I see in many of the mags...I guess I'm a bit more old-fashioned than I want to admit :blush (flattering, not revealing fashions, thanks)...so I have come up with a couple original fashion patterns, for myself...my best suggestion in that regard is to take a look in your closet...find the shapes you like best...maybe even buy a sewing pattern or two, to see the breakdown of the pieces more easily. And then just go for it. If you like tight-fitting, then your garments' measurements should be the same as yours. If you like form-flattering, give an inch or so of "ease"...(if you are 36" bust, make it 37-38") if you like loose fitting, add a good 4 inches to your measurements.

Mostly though, you're going to be experimenting, playing, and having fun...

I'd also suggest starting with something simpler, like a sleeveless top (tank/halter/tube), and working with sport weight or finer yarns...my personal preference is cotton, but I've used acrylic and blends just fine.

Afraid I don't know if any sites that would fit your style, but maybe someone else does. (Check out the crochet dude's website...his stuff looks pretty cool)

HTH :crocheting

I agree with what Momcrochet has said. Get something you love from your closet and try to make it using crochet. This is your chance to add some to the bottom for extra length if that is what you want.

Make copious notes as you work so that you can then test your pattern or have someone else test it for you.

do this with a few items and you will begin to see how "fabric" comes together to make it wearable. There are many ways to get the same thing done.

One aside, you might want to try designing for a doll (an 18 inch doll makes a reasonable size item) so that you can get it done quickly and check your progress. it is not a true test of making adult wearables but it would let you develop some skill and understanding of garment construction.

I agree with momcrochets and darski...start with what is in your closet.

For some tips on 'ease' and fitting (including adding bust darts) go to www.knittingdaily.com they have a bunch of info on customizing the fit of a garment. I know there were also some magazines lately that had some articles in, but I can't remember them and don't have the patience to go through my stack of mags at the moment (please forgive...but with maybe 2 weeks to go in this pregnancy my patience is practically non-existant:D). Also if you can take the time to go to a book store and page through the new books to see if there is anything that catches your eye. Admittedly you will probably find more in style and up to date fashions the knitting books...but it's a start and you can convert some knit to crochet (there are a couple of decent books out on it). Best of luck!!!!

The only things I create myself are my purses and I tend to play with patterns to make them better suit me/my family/my likes.

MM! I never thought of going into my own closet....

you guys are genei (plural of genius?! hahahahaha)

No but seriously

thanks for all of your advice!

And i'll def get the stitch bible out from the library and go at some sort of sweater pullover that's way cute. I'm thinking lacey and pair it with a long sleeve shirt or tee underneath. M cute! :D i'll for sure get some other people to test it out if it works out....

I'm so excited now.....

hee! :) thanks thanks thanks a million! (btw...i generally like the clothes to show of my nice parts haha and hide others :D )

AWESOME...now i can make something that i want to wear :)

Hm....knitting i find harder than crochet...but it does produce much nicer hidden stitches when you want a subdued garment. I might look at it...i never got past the basic whatever stitch my gram taught me. i couldn't figure out for the life of me how to purl stitch. :S:S:S:S

I had a sweatshirt that was short. I made some small granny squares with flower centers and added them to the hem, then crocheted a few rows around. They have books of appliqués/embellishments that you can sew onto just about anything.

Ellie 13

Hm....knitting i find harder than crochet...but it does produce much nicer hidden stitches when you want a subdued garment. I might look at it...i never got past the basic whatever stitch my gram taught me. i couldn't figure out for the life of me how to purl stitch. :S:S:S:S

One st that I personally love, that is more subtle...ie Can't see obvious horizontal rows...is the up&down/crumple/crochet moss st....Essentially you'll work a row alternating sc and dc (sc, dc, sc, dc, etc, across) then in every row following you work it so that you have a sc in the dc's and a dc in the scs....with an even # of stitches, each row starts exactly the same (when you turn your work) It's also got enough texture that you can work a hook size (or two) larger and it still has good coverage...and give/stretchiness. :)

Aw its a cinch! I have (ahem) designed. Here... take a look

http://jimbosfrontporch.blogspot.com/2007/04/exclusive-first-in-universe-free.html

Yup i'm a designer but for some reason, well i guess the pullitzer prize folks in charge of crochet design must have lost my address.

I think if you have a real desire to design, you'll be able to with practice. Start with all the suggestions above. Make something with clean lines like a tank top, then figure out a way to make sleeves. You will be making your own fashionable, colorful, hip, funky patterns in no time. Everyone here will help you when you run into problems.

Go for it!!!

Aw its a cinch! I have (ahem) designed. Here... take a look

http://jimbosfrontporch.blogspot.com/2007/04/exclusive-first-in-universe-free.html

Yup i'm a designer but for some reason, well i guess the pullitzer prize folks in charge of crochet design must have lost my address.

Now that is a pattern I could love. Brilliant

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

P.S. Those Pulitzer types are notoriously absent-minded. They oughta be ashamed.

Have you tried going to the lion brand website? They have a lot of really cool patterns for teens. I've been thinking about making some things for my daughter. She is 20 and I'm 40 but I'm also always looking for more trendy things too. I found some pretty interesting things there.

Ah!! Thanks Darski... i was beginning to think nobody would notice. Ah the life of an artist is at times a lonely one. Without recognition, despiration. With despiration well who knows what depths i could sink to.

I love designing...and think you would as well with practice. But, I also have a suggestion, for what it's worth. Look around. Find a basic pattern for a top that just seems to be you. I am not talking about the whole top...just maybe the middle. If you want sleeves...then find a pattern that has sleeves that just call out to you. Look for a neckline that is what you think is cool. Look for a pattern that has a bottom you like. You can take various parts of different patterns...and join them. Bottom line with clothing is...if there's a pattern...it's what someone else wanted to wear. If you want something that YOU think is awesome...you are going to have to make it happen. I do this with sewing patterns. Then, once you have started making your own stuff using 5 different patterns, you will have the knowledge of how to start designing your own. I wish you luck.

Blessed Be.

Archived