Freeform inspiration!

magiccrochetfan

I was just googling around for freeform info, and I came across this

http://www.intff.org/pages/elementsmain.html An international show of freeform by a number of artists, including Margaret Hubert, who I know is a member here:hook and many others, with a theme of earth, air, fire, and water.

I haven't even looked at all of them yet--you can either click on a thumbnail or click on index by name to see that person's submissions. So far, I am blown away by this one in particular, Mitsuko Tonouchi, who has made 3-D pieces http://www.intff.org/pages/mitsuko.html

What is your favorite?

Hi Kathy, yes I am a member here. I have been away and I am leaving again on Friday, for the Mall of America big Knit Crochet Event. If any one is planning on attending, please stop by and say "Hi" I will be doing two demos on Sat and 2 on Sunday.

Margaret

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was so inspired by this site that I sat down and crocheted for 16 hours straight. I did go to bed that night but I was up the next day in my chair. It drives Ron crazy when I do that...

Again, what beautiful work!!

I was a member with the freeform forum but just couldn't get my brain (with all the meds I take) around doing anything worse showing. I did do a srumble, but my family thought it was hilarious so I stopped doing freeform.

Everyone at that site is amazing and does such incredible breathtaking work! I had fun viewing all their things and tried to keep up with posting, but even the "verbage" was too much for my foggy med brain to handle. Maybe one day I'll try again, but then I came across the Ville and I knew I was truly home.

I was so inspired by this site that I sat down and crocheted for 16 hours straight. I did go to bed that night but I was up the next day in my chair.

16 hours!!! my gosh, I cannot imagine crocheting that long. You are truly dedicated and inspired!

I was a member with the freeform forum but just couldn't get my brain (with all the meds I take) around doing anything worse showing. I did do a srumble, but my family thought it was hilarious so I stopped doing freeform.

Everyone at that site is amazing and does such incredible breathtaking work! I had fun viewing all their things and tried to keep up with posting, but even the "verbage" was too much for my foggy med brain to handle. Maybe one day I'll try again, but then I came across the Ville and I knew I was truly home.

Hey, don't let your family's reaction keep you from freeforming! Freeform is the perfect medium for experimentation--not every experiment has to be a keeper.

If you don't mind my asking, which freeform forum are you talking about?

Let me map out the 16 hours cuz it really was too spectacular... I was home by 3pm and crocheted until 3 am. I was up by 9 am and crocheted until 10pm that night. I took breaks when I needed to take care of the body and my bottom did get numb a couple of times but it was truly one of those "in the zone" moments when the crochet takes over. I took a picture of the flower and other freeforms to show sometime this week.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

When I was making my first freeform scrumbles, my sister said to me, 'What is it supposed to be?' And I said to her, 'It IS art!'

And she didn't ask again. I have made couple of small wall hangings that I have in my bedroom. I love them, but I don't think anyone else 'gets them.'

I don't care.

When I was making my first freeform scrumbles, my sister said to me, 'What is it supposed to be?' And I said to her, 'It IS art!'

And she didn't ask again. I have made couple of small wall hangings that I have in my bedroom. I love them, but I don't think anyone else 'gets them.'

I don't care.

I love that---yes, it IS art!

• 1 month later...

I've been looking at free form crochet and I think I may give this a try. Me not following a pattern is something I'm not use to so then I end up feeling like I have failed. (sounds a bit weird, I know.) I think I have read enough to get a curious spark going, so I'm going to get my scraps and stuff together soon and do the bag technique, where you close your eyes to chose the colors. I can see myself seeing the art in it, but I can also see the "what is it?" question coming about, lol. It would also make a nice addition to me blog at some time.

Just think about the fact that you are not trying to please anyone but yourself. I also used my freeform pieces to practice new stitches such as the buillion stitch - have actually gotten quite good at it. Now I can alternate colors all the way around in a circle on a piece of freeform, I love doing that. I love adding lots of color to my pieces, and lots of textures. It is a good place to use the fun fur type of yarns if you have them, eyelash yarns, etc.

Also because they will never go into a washer, I can combine cotton, wool, acrylic, linen, anything - all the different types of yarn, thread, etc. that I have picked up at yard sales, thrift stores, flea markets, etc. That really makes for interesting pieces of ART.

Barbara

• 2 months later...

Oh I made a pair of gloves, just by one row single one row double. I know american crochet is different to English crochet.. but yah, I made a pair of gloves in under an hour, Im sooo fast at it.

Archived