Can't Believe I Never Did Granny Squares Before!

OK, I admit it - until today I had never made a granny square. :eek They honestly seemed a little confusing to me so I put it off. But then I bought Vanna's new Color it Beautiful Afghans and absolutely HAD to make the Great Afghan - a huge double-strand granny. :crocheting So I started it today... Holy cow! I had no idea the granny square stitch was this quick and easy! I'm laughing at myself now because I let myself be intimidated by it for so long. I still don't know if I'll ever find myself doing a bunch of little grannies to sew together (because of the sewing together part) but big giant grannies, I think I could do a lot of. :cheer

Hello ArielMax,

Uh-oh:dreaming:dreaming, your in it now. There are hundreds of different granny squares. I learned to crochet making granny squares. Made over 300 to make a kingsize cover for waterbed. Person who showed me how to crochet squares, didn't show me how to connect them. So I went on to other projects, 35 years later decided to connect squares for Fisher House project. Boy, are the afghans beautiful.

I have read in other places that some of our sisters make a few granny squares everytime they have a bit of yarn left over from a project. They connect them when they have enough to make a row and so on.

Happy crocheting.:crocheting

Hello ArielMax,

Uh-oh:dreaming:dreaming, your in it now. There are hundreds of different granny squares. I learned to crochet making granny squares. Made over 300 to make a kingsize cover for waterbed. Person who showed me how to crochet squares, didn't show me how to connect them. So I went on to other projects, 35 years later decided to connect squares for Fisher House project. Boy, are the afghans beautiful.

I have read in other places that some of our sisters make a few granny squares everytime they have a bit of yarn left over from a project. They connect them when they have enough to make a row and so on.

Happy crocheting.:crocheting

I have made some and have no idea how to connect them. How did you do yours?

I have made some and have no idea how to connect them. How did you do yours?

Easiest way is to line up the squares and stitch them in the corresponding stitches of the squares. Some use a yarn needle and whip stitch them together. Others like to single crochet the two squares together. Me..I'm in the middle...I slip stitch the squares together.

HTH.

Welcome to the wonderful world of granny squares:lol

There are lots of methods of joining by crocheting...

http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa010999.htm

http://hometown.aol.com/lffunt/flatbraid.htm

http://www.yarncat.com/JoinAsYouCrochetGS.html

Uh oh - you're one of us now. Wait till you get started on the rectangular grannies. The only difference is how the first row is done (it's long) and then it's round and round.

Personally, I don't care for double stranded grannies. I think the holes are just way too big. If it's goin on a bed or going to be backed they're ok but just to hang out under - too holey. (That's just me - some people love them!)

What size hook and yarn are you using?

Hehehe...wait till you find the "101 GHranny Squares" book! (And some of them hardly have ANY holes.)

I usually crochet mine together if it's a pattern where I like the sc ridge on the front (it looks kinda like window sashing around individual panes.) If you want it on both sides, sc through the front loop on one side and flip it over to do the same on the back.

Easiest way is to line up the squares and stitch them in the corresponding stitches of the squares. Some use a yarn needle and whip stitch them together. Others like to single crochet the two squares together. Me..I'm in the middle...I slip stitch the squares together.

HTH.

I tried whipstitching with my recent first blanket done with squares and it drove me crazy.:loco So, I slip stitched. Much better.:hook

What size hook and yarn are you using?

I'm using a N hook and two strands of Vanna's Choice WW. I maybe should have gone up to a P hook - I crochet a little tight - but I was afraid of running out of yarn if I went with a bigger hook. I think it still has a really nice soft drape so far. :hook

I am so/so about granny squares, can take 'em or leave 'em... but the problem always seemed to be joining them! I recently got industrious and finished an afghan that I had started a couple years ago, from squares.... got them all joined and then made a nice picot border around it. Turned out beautiful! The squares are made with various shades of pink and rose, two shades of green, a variegated, and then bordered in off white. Once completed, it matches my comforter in my bedroom very nicely, SO it is now my foot warmer at night.

Archived