mini bag with carnation

Queen Moirae

2216277987_79cfa19cfd.jpg?v=0

2216276507_263f7368b4.jpg?v=0

2216280627_38b8860dec.jpg?v=0

This mini bag was inspired by a 1940's handbag pattern. The original pattern was very large so this is an extremely miniature version. It's quite similar to the little ditty bag posted recently in the Valentines craft post - I think the designer of that pattern had a much better idea when it came to shaping the handle, and structuring the bag to stand upright than does my pattern though! In any case, it's very fast and fun to work up. And this is a fun way to dress up the little ditty bag if any of you are making it for Valentines Day!

It's the perfect size for toting your lip gloss, keys, and cell phone out on a date or for a quick trip to the store. It's also great to hold cosmetics. I work these up (as well as most of my creations) in 100% cotton yarn - my skin is to sensitive to acrylic yarns. I like the versatility of cotton as well as its ability to wash and hold shape well. I've assembled this one with a pink carnation but photographed it next to a chrysanthemum I've just worked up for my next little bag. I like to chose flowers based on their Victorian symbology. The pink carnation, for example, is symbolic of a woman's love. Other colors of carnations are more symbolic of romantic rejection of a lover.

Please give me your thoughts and feedback - I'm thinking of putting these on my future etsy store. I've used them in the past to "wrap" gifts in - they work especially well for candles.

beautiful! great work....

if you do decide to sell, may I suggest you include with each one the symbolism behind the flower (also listed on your etsy page of course)...just might be a nice touch.

Thank you both so much! I've only been crocheting for about 2 and 1/2 years so I'm pretty shy about putting my designs out there to be bought by others. My boyfriend has been the one encouraging me to do so - and I've had a lot of fun coming up with some designs of my own and piecing them together!

Kidget29 - I'm looking to start a blog soon where I'll post some patterns. I actually haven't even written this one out! I'd try the little ditty bag listed yesterday in the Valentines Day thread and add any flower you like to make to it. I just sew mine on the bag itself.

Momcrochets - that is my idea! I'm an avid reader and Victorian Flower symbology is one of my favorite topics. So is Greek Mythology - Moirae (my CV name) comes from the greek word for the three fates - who weave the threads of our lives :)

Great bag and flower. I love the pink of the flower. And what a great idea to wrap presents in! I hadn't thought of that, thanks for the idea. I think that idea would help them sell on esty.... maybe...

Now that you have the January flower, you need a February crochet flower... march crochet flower... :lol.

That would be cute for a bag or purse. Change flowers each month... or as you like.

Debbi

Archived