Help Recycling Yarn From A Sweater

i have tried this a couple of times, it works really well with hand knits, tedious with machine as they are often very fine ply twisted together, which split like mad. It took me about 3hrs to unravel an eighties aran, but i got a vest, two hats and some granny squares out of it. If you wrap the yarn around a chair back and then hang it in the bathroom when showering you can get most of the kinks out.

I've unraveled sweaters for several years and even showed others how to

unravel them. I love the thrill of finding a great wool or alpace sweater at the thrift. Some of the raw silk sweaters that have heavier thread or linen or cottons will work nicely too. I prefer the wool or other animal fibers. The unraveling is nice relaxing work to sit and work on when you are watching tv.

My daughter would say "Mom, are you killing another sweater". Why, of course.

Nancy

A friend of mine who is a knitter puts her kinked yarn in the freezer I guess it comes unkinked because she really hates working with kinked wool.

another thing to do with old well loved WOOL sweaters, is to felt them, and then cut and sew them into other items. I have a fancy patterned knit one that I'm intending to turn into a tote bag, or maybe a teddy bear, or some such.

Or stitching squares from various colors (having felted before cutting) and making a blanket or throw pillow or...

Felting has gotten more exciting now that I don't have to come up with quarters and haul it across town to do it. :)

Archived