What kind of hooks do you use?

Julie

• 1 month later...

I MUCH PREFER the Bates hooks. If anyone is interested in trading Bates for my Boyes, let me know.

I have one wooden hook that I bought in Branson, MO. I've never used it. I don't find it quite smooth enough but its pretty.

I would love to try the Crystallites. That ebony hook is gorgeous! I have periodic access to deer antler and wonder if that would make good hooks.:thinking1

Nah, deer antler are not hollow and they are very strong. I think they'd make excellent hooks if you could get a straight piece long enough. And a nice handyman to carve it for you! ;) I have a deer antler cribbage board and earrings and pendants. By the way, mine are all made from naturally shed antlers, so nobody jump on me!

Guest bramble

i bought a clover bamboo hook yesterday, b/c i'm looking for a type that i can bring on the plane with me (i.e., non-metal) when i travel in july. i was really excited about it, but when i tried to use it with some patons decor, it didn't feel smooth at all. i have been using bates metal (silvalume?) hooks, and in comparison the bamboo was so difficult.

does this vary by brand? by the type of yarn you're using? are different types of wood significantly different from the bamboo, such that it's worth trying a birch one or something? if not i guess it's plastic for the plane!

Ok..I use both boyle and bates and seem to get along with both.

But I love this new wooden crochet hook in size M

so comfy and warm!!!! I want more of them!!! It's hand turned and has a beautiful handle.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer Boye (aluminum). Just never felt comfortable with other materials or brands for crochet in sizes smaller than a K. I'm still trying different things for the larger hooks.

• 2 months later...

i am with Yarngirl

Bill at Turn Of The Century is a true gem

his hooks are very nice and affordable.. he has even made a couple custom hooks for me..

of course i have others because you cant use metallic yarn with a wooden hook... and there are times when you just need something else ..

but most of my projects are made with his hooks...

and he also has other items not just hooks.. he does knitting needles..hair sticks.. fountain pens etc.. all reasonably priced i think..

I like Bates hooks (metal, the pastel kind... whats it called?) . I had used Boye but I didn't like how it tapered at the top.

I just ordered some plastic Bates hooks, we'll see how they are. I would LOVE to get Bamboo or wood ones. Maybe if i get gift certs or something.

I use Boye hooks and Susan Bates I also have a set of SB in pastel hooks . I never thought any different on the hooks I always thought that the hooks were all the same. Would like to try some from Turn of the century but money is very tight right now..:knit . This may be a silly question but how or what do you do when you break a hook? :)h

Becky

You mean a wooden hook, Becky? I've been very careful with them and haven't broken one yet. They are very strong and sturdy, but I tend to use them for the things I can take my time on, not the things I need in a rush. I do use his P and Q hooks all the time, rather than the plastic ones from Boye. The wooden ones are so much prettier than the plastic. :)h

Probably not so easy to do it on the metal ones, though some of the thinner aluminum ones will bend if you put enough pressure on them. You'd have to work at it though. The steel thread hooks don't have any give to them at all. :)) Luckily, the metal hooks are really cheap to replace, so if you ever were creative enough to break one, you wouldn't worry about the expense.

I'm definitely a Boye girl. I was very excited when I first bought the Crystalites (sp!) but had all but the I hook break. Between that, and the lack of size marking on the hook, I was turned off of them, no matter how pretty they are.

I've tried Bates, but with the sharper angles, I have a bit more difficulty stitching, so back to Boyes I went.

I do still have 1 Bates, size I, and I wouldn't cry if someone else wanted it. First one gets it!

• 1 month later...
Guest MadiStitches

Hi all...thought I would just my 2 cents in here lol

I first started using boye hooks, but prefer the bates ones.

It all depends on what stitches I am doing and what yarn I am working with.

I bought a Brittany hook quite awhile ago now, I think it's black walnut in size L. But can't use it, don't know why but the hook and my hand don't cooperate...make sense? :?

Lately I have been doing graph ghans with an afghan hook, using a size k hook. Would love to get a easy tunisian hook or an afghan hook in size p..if that size is even available.

Marg

I have Brittany hooks as well.. it took me a while to get used to them and i cant use them with every yarn i have.. i was kind of disappointed when i first got them.. then i found turn of the century and wished i had never spent the money on the brittany hooks..

he amkes "afghan" hooks as well .. i think they are worth it .. i have two of those in wood.. i think he charged me 16.95 for them and they are both cherry ..

I like Susan Bates aluminum hooks. I like the way they are tapered down by the hook end--it makes the yarn flow so easily. I tried the crystalites hooks:U Boo! My yarn kept getting caught on the plastic, and it isn't tapered. I already am a slow crocheter--I don't need my hook to slow me up any further.

Unfortunately, I can't get Susan Bates hooks at very many places around here. If I need a new hook, I have to go out of town or on the internet.

• 1 month later...

Archived