What books would you choose for Crochet library?

tawny

I've been fantasizing about starting my very own crochet book library this year. In addition to my own collection, I would like to make the same donation to my local library. This idea came about when I wanted to access crochet books at my local library and I could not find anything published later than 1973.

What books would you recommend? As the self-appointed librarian, I believe this collection would need:

-Reference book for basic stitches (the "Bible" of crochet)

-A couple of the best books for teaching crochet (just the basics)

-Pattern books with contemporary fashions

-Your favorite afghan book

-Pattern books for beginners

-Books that intermediate/advanced crocheters would like

If you have any other ideas/recommendations, please feel free to suggest!

I plan to study your responses during January/February and I'll post the suggested library sometime in late March.

Thank you in advance.

This is more or less what I have with my personal "crochet library" with includes knitting and sewing books, but what I'd also like to see in public libraries (and you are so right, the last book I checked out from the library on crocheting was from 1980...so libraries do need to update their crochet shelves...what I'd like to see more of in libraries is the different types of crochet...tunisian, overlay, freeform, bead crochet, hairpin, broomstick and the list goes on)

Books on filet crochet, how to filet and books with charts and charts...

More than one book on stitches...I have two "encyclopedias" of stitches.

One book I have is something called Knitting School (and I have Crochet School as well) that has turned out to be quite useful for my crocheting of garments.

Also a good Sewing book (I have Vogue Sewing...which is like taking a college course in all things sewing...) because again, something's in that book have been helpful with garment making with crocheting.

Doilies, tableclothes, gifts...from easy to super advanced...

I started collecting books almost as soon as they were released from publishers because it was not easy to find books with more experience ideas and patterns without having to look to all things vintage (late 1800's to the 1940's.) I especially like books that have to do with garment designing and construction, crocheted, knitted or sewn.

My favorite stitch reference books are the 2 Harmony Guides. I know Interweave is putting out updated versions, but don't know if they will be an improvement on the current editions.

For contemporary fashions I would choose Everyday Crochet by Doris Chan. I haven't finished anything from it yet, but so far from what I have done I think she has mastered fit and drape. The patterns require a lot of thought, you can't just whip them out, but I think this book is going to be a classic. Also the items cover a wide range of women's sizes.

I don't really know about books to teach crochet, as I was lucky enough to learn from my mom a thousand years ago. But I will say that Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet has good illustrations for both right and left handed crocheters, and a good overview of patterns, stitches, and motifs.

The Crochet Answer Book by Edie Eckman is a good compact reference.

I like Crochet in Plain English by Maggie Righetti. It takes an approach of understanding crochet so you aren't always tied to patterns.

Crochet in No Time by Melody Griffiths has a range of different patterns for women (though not a good size range), babies/kids, and home. All contemporary and attractive. Includes patterns suitable for beginners like scarves, hats.

I also like Crocheting School. It has a mix of info and great pictures, some info in there that I haven't found anywhere else.

Jan Eaton also has a good crochet encyclopedia and her 200 Crochet Blocks is very useful.

Hmmm, that is what I can think of for now.

I just saw the most awsome book today while sipping frapachino in my fav bookstore. It's called "Funky Chunky crochet Accesories" by Jan Eaton. It has tons of really cool simple patterns for hats, scarves, slippers and bags. It is a great book for beginners. I am difinitely going to try and find it cheaper (It was $24.95) somewhere else. I really really want this book. And I commend you for wanting to do this. I have two libraries that I frequent and their crochet books are very limited and very dated. LOL I also looked through the book mentioned above by Melody Grifith and it is also a really good book.

Debby

Hmmm, on my wish list is the 365 crochet stitches perpetual calendar...I'd add that to my library any day.

Here's some others I might suggest:

Also, "Positively Crochet" by Mary Jane Hall...(got it for Christmas, LOVE it...lots of variety too, and good size range, etc)

also: Adorable Crochet for Babies and Toddlers..(it';s a couple years old already, but the patterns are classic, overall...also good range of sizes, compared to some baby books)

also: Kool Stuff Teach me to Crochet (Bright colors, aimed at younger audience, current type patterns, good pictures--left and right hand...great really for all ages)

also:Crochet on the Edge (lots of edging ideas, and a few complete patterns)

I'm not a big afghan fan, so I'm afraid I can't recommend any afghan books.

also 101 scrap crochet projects...good variety of skill, lots of small projects. (about 4 years old?)

also: Kathy White's doily booklets (katchkan, here on the ville)

also: Patricia Kristofferson, doilies and baby blanket pattern books..classics, excellent (moderate to difficult, mostly)

given time, I could probably list some more titles...some of the above I already have, some are just on my wish list after borrowing them from our library system (It's incredible, many connected libraries...inter-library loan is awesome...though if it's very new it can be hard to get)

HTH

I don't mean to derail the thread, but I am curious about the comments on libraries not having current crochet books. The library i go to most often, Daniel Boone Regional library, seems to me to be an excellent library system, so maybe I shouldn't compare others to it. But I was just wondering if you have talked to the person in charge of new acquisitions? Here, you can easily do an interlibrary loan request from a listing of books that are available in a library somewhere. I found out that if i request a new book, they usually can't borrow it from another library because it is new and in demand at the "home" library....so they are likely to order the book to add to the DBRL collection! I thought that was pretty cool. So anyway, you all might be able to help your libraries add to their collections. And the interlibrary loan thing works really well.

Both DBRL and the other library i go to sometimes, Missouri River Regional library, have good updated crocheting and knitting collections. I haven't done any interlibrary loans or requested new books from MRRL though.

I'll second The Crochet Answer Book. The Harmony Guides and Donna Kooler's Encyclopediia of Crochet are both good stitch and technique guides. Kooler includes the extended or Elmore crochet stitch.

Actually, while I was working on this post, a shipment from the Crafter's Choice book club arrived, and I think I have another potential addition to the list, 200 Crochet Tips, Techniques & Trade Secretsby Jan Eaton. While it does have instructions for basic stitches and several extended stitches, its real value is that it covers things like inserting zippers, attaching buttons, making buttons, and fitting garment patterns to yourself.

I don't mean to derail the thread, but I am curious about the comments on libraries not having current crochet books. The library i go to most often, Daniel Boone Regional library, seems to me to be an excellent library system, so maybe I shouldn't compare others to it. But I was just wondering if you have talked to the person in charge of new acquisitions? Here, you can easily do an interlibrary loan request from a listing of books that are available in a library somewhere. I found out that if i request a new book, they usually can't borrow it from another library because it is new and in demand at the "home" library....so they are likely to order the book to add to the DBRL collection! I thought that was pretty cool. So anyway, you all might be able to help your libraries add to their collections. And the interlibrary loan thing works really well.

Both DBRL and the other library i go to sometimes, Missouri River Regional library, have good updated crocheting and knitting collections. I haven't done any interlibrary loans or requested new books from MRRL though.

Your points are well-taken. I do have access to a very good system, the Minuteman Regional Library Network. However, sometimes the wait can be lengthy for a popular book. Crochet is "hot" again but at this time libraries are not in a financial position to acquire books that serve what they perceive as a minimal circulation population. My motivation is also to honor the staff at my particular library whose knowledge, patience and guidance helped foster my childrens' love of books and their local library. The bonus is that the books will be able to be circulated within a larger metropolitan area.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I'll second The Crochet Answer Book. The Harmony Guides and Donna Kooler's Encyclopediia of Crochet are both good stitch and technique guides. Kooler includes the extended or Elmore crochet stitch.

Actually, while I was working on this post, a shipment from the Crafter's Choice book club arrived, and I think I have another potential addition to the list, 200 Crochet Tips, Techniques & Trade Secretsby Jan Eaton. While it does have instructions for basic stitches and several extended stitches, its real value is that it covers things like inserting zippers, attaching buttons, making buttons, and fitting garment patterns to yourself.

I would think that the Jan Eaton book would definitely be an addition to an advanced crocheter's library. Thank you.

Your points are well-taken. I do have access to a very good system, the Minuteman Regional Library Network. However, sometimes the wait can be lengthy for a popular book. Crochet is "hot" again but at this time libraries are not in a financial position to acquire books that serve what they perceive as a minimal circulation population. My motivation is also to honor the staff at my particular library whose knowledge, patience and guidance helped foster my childrens' love of books and their local library. The bonus is that the books will be able to be circulated within a larger metropolitan area.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hi Tawny:) I think it is very cool that you are planning to donate books to the library. I've noticed that a lot of the needlework books I have checked out have a bookplate noting they were funded by a particular woman, and I've thought about how much enjoyment she made possible. I haven't had to wait more than 6-8 weeks for any book I requested....maybe I am one of the few crocheters in the area who is actually checking out the books:book

I have a suggestion or two for afghan books. Herrshner's Blue Ribbon Afghans and its sequel More Herrshner's Blue Ribbon Afghans. These are winners of Herrshner's annual afghan contest, and most of them are crochet (a few are knitted). I do not personally like every design, but I like many of them and of course, people's tastes differ. The sequel is at most, a couple of years old.

Does anyone else have the book "Loop-d-Loop Crochet" by Treva Durham? I received mine as a gift this past summer. Most of the patterns are in the "advanced" category and some of the designs are a bit unusual. However, that is precisely the reason I received it from my fashion designer friend!:manyheart

My current favorite WIP is the bohemian jacket featured on the back cover. I am using a chenille yarn that I was able to buy for $1/skein. I hope to make the brocade boots next.

If you do have this book, would you recommend it for a library collection?

Thanks.

I have a suggestion or two for afghan books. Herrshner's Blue Ribbon Afghans and its sequel More Herrshner's Blue Ribbon Afghans. These are winners of Herrshner's annual afghan contest, and most of them are crochet (a few are knitted). I do not personally like every design, but I like many of them and of course, people's tastes differ. The sequel is at most, a couple of years old.

Thank you! I searched the original book on Amazon and was able to see a sampling of the afghans. The back cover has a beautiful stained glass-type of pattern.

Hi. I just wanted to add one of my favorite afghan books. Its called AFGHAN SPLENDOR,by needlecraft shop. I'm unable to find the pub. date but it can't be very old judging by the pictures. It has so many gorgeous afghans inside that its a chore just to decide which one to make next.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently browsed the internet catalog library of my local system and all the newest books on crochet including Crochet Me, Loop-D-Loop, ALL Japanese Amigurumi are checked out with more than 3 holds on each book! Does this tell us something about our craft? We're hot!! :devil

So, my original idea to donate books to my local library/system is still relevant I believe. Who wants to wait 3 months for the latest craze?? The library should have more copies for their readers.

Please continue to share.............

Well, in an effort to increase my personal library, i ordered a few books off amazon and just got them today...and they all look like great ones!! Can't wait to dive right in!!

365 Crochet Stitches A Year Perpetual Calendar - Jean Leinhauser & Rita Weiss

The Crochet Stitch Bible - Betty Barnden

150 Crochet Trims - Susan Smith

200 Crochet Blocks - Jan Eaton

and off Joann's I got

Vogue Knitting Crocheted Hats on the Go! - this has some really awesome and unique hats! Got pages marked all through it - I have a hat and purse fettish :blush

I agree about Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia, the Harmony Guides, and the Crochet Answer Book (it stays in my craft bag, and I often refer to it). I'd also recommend an all-around book like SnB or Crochet for Dummies. I have so many books and patterns, but even though I'll never do anywhere near all of them, it gives me pleasure to look at them.

Archived