Thrift stores

tayzeanna

I have been going to the local Goodwill store here in SE Michigan and have got some great deals on yarn. I purchased all of my yarn for my WIP - lapghan at Goodwill for under $10 (each was 50 cents). I have found several craft items there that have been incomplete and just need someone to lovingly finish them up. I love going there but I only have the money I make off ebay selling things that I make to buy anything, since I am jobless. Michigan economy not so hot right now.

I also like to go to Joann's clearance section and just browse around there. I have bought several of my crochet hooks for about 50 cents from time to time. Got some great yarn there too, haven't used it yet just waiting for the RIGHT project to come along.

Come spring I will be out garage sale-ing. Great finds there too. I ended up finding a ball of Sugar n Cream and ended up leaving with yarn this one lady didn't even have for sale at the time (left with about 15 skeins for $5). Sometimes you can get good deals off of ebay too. Many people go to estate sales and purchase yarn and then resell it.

Congrats on your find!

I went to a thrift store last month and found a ton of crochet magazines for 50 cents each :cheer . A bunch of little ones like Annies and quick & Easy Crochet. And an old 1970's one with some funky clothes I wouldn't even make for the Groove-Along CAL :lol. And one I had but decided to get again as it has some nice things in it (and mines somewhere in my pattern book pile:blush).

I don't find too much yarn, but sometimes. My aunt use to find it at yard sales but hasn't for a while either. There use to be a TS by me that had 99 cent hooks and most were new or looked new and walmart wasn't around so it was half of what Micheals was. And I found a 1920s book (torn cover, but still some crochet patterns). it was the neatest TS for me to go to as no one must have crocheted because there was always stuff in the bin (I figure some have people who crochet and nab the items before they get on the self).

Debbi

Ooh! Ooh! Guess what happened today? I got the urge to go to Goodwill and found one of those big comforter bags (the tag on it wtill said "queen/king") full of yarn for $10. I think most of this is coming from one lady's stash, because I've found the same brands and colors in several other bags they've had there. Today there were six skeins of heavy "pom-pom yarn" (think heavy rug yarn, acrylic, looks like slippers and trim for the two beige skeins and one of the four white ones), a couple of rug yarn, four skeins of mint-green Red Heart Baby, a skein of white RHB to go with it, a BIG skein of white Bernat Baby, two and a half skeins of lavender baby acrylic in a long-gone brand, four more skeins of mint that's probably Bernat...and a whole, whole bunch more, white Simply Soft and all!

Oh Becky, that's wonderful!

There's a large Salvation Army store here and I'm told they do get yarn in, but every time I've stopped, there's been none. I'll keep trying.

Unfortunately I have to go 20 minutes to the local Joanns and thrift stores. So I can't make special trips very often with the price of gas on the rise. But I make sure I do my rounds when I am in the area.

Archived