No Assembly Required Market Bag

barbs0514

The pattern for my bag is on my blog at http://www.xanga.com/bratsis2

Just scroll down to the correct entry. Enjoy. Let me know how you like the pattern. I love it and have made about 10 bags for my own use. I almost never have to bring home a yucky plastic bag and I get compliments at the grocery store all the time. Barb.

I like that! I made the bag off of the Lily website for a friend, but it didn't have a flat bottom, and it didn't have as much solid part at the bottom. I like this because it seems like it would be more sturdy. This will be great to haul groceries. Thanks for sharing the pattern!

That is, probably hands down, the best bag I've seen. I am so making me a couple of those to take to the store with me. Thanks for sharing the pattern.

BTW, about how big is the finished bag? Inquiring minds want to know. :lol

One of my dreams is to have enough time to make 5 or 6 of those to take shopping. That's if I ever finish all the other patterns I have on my list!:lol

I've been using some of mine for several months and they are still like new. They hold a LOT of groceries, but are still able to be carried by one person. I think the fact that there are no "parts" to it makes it stronger. No change of seams coming undone. Barb.

:oops Sorry....I see the pic now. Very nice bag. Do they hold up when you load groceries in them? I have been looking for something like this. Thank you for sharing your talent with us all. :crocheting

One great thing about this bag is that it only takes a few hours to make one. Also, it's the type of pattern that you can stop and start without getting confused. And, it's small enough to carry around and work on. Enjoy! Barb.

One of my dreams is to have enough time to make 5 or 6 of those to take shopping. That's if I ever finish all the other patterns I have on my list!:lol

Using ww cotton, my finished bags are about 13 length by 14 width (not including handles), however, my used bag (and it is well used) has stretched to 15 length by 16 width. I'm sure everyone else's results could be different. If that is not big enough for you, you can always make the bags bigger by adding 10 sc to the starting chain and using more rows of either or both of the hdc and the mesh. Barb.

That is, probably hands down, the best bag I've seen. I am so making me a couple of those to take to the store with me. Thanks for sharing the pattern.

BTW, about how big is the finished bag? Inquiring minds want to know. :lol

Wow!! I really like your idea of a flat bottom and not so much "mesh"!! As soon as I get my delivery of ink cartridges,:lol I'll download your pattern and give it a try!! Thanx for the pattern!!:crocheting

Question -

In the pattern it reads "Row 1: HDC in 3rd chain from hook and in each chain across (50 hdc), turn.

Rows 2-10: *Ch 2 (counts as first hdc), hdc in each hdc across, hdc in top of

turning chain 2, turn.* Repeat from * to * until you have completed 10 rows."

Now, I don't know if I'm doing this right, but each time I do a row starting with row 2, it seems like I'm increasing a stitch at the end of each row. Is that correct? I'd hate to get further into the pattern and discover I was all sorts of wrong. :think

Just to clarify, when you skip 2 chains and make a hdc in the 3rd chain, those 2 skipped chains count as a hdc. Then when you turn and ch 2 for row 2, those 2 chains count as your first hdc. You should always have 50 stitches in each of the first 10 rows. Hope this helps anyone who is having a problem. Barb.

I finished my first market bag over the weekend. I'm waiting for a new webcam to come in the mail (something better than what I've been using in the past for pics - I think). As soon as it comes, I'll take pics. :photo

By then, my bag is likely to have multiplied. :lol

Archived