No Assembly Required Market Bag

barbs0514

Great job! My only concern with using acrylic yarn (and why I recommend cotton) is that the acrylic may stretch TOO much and before you know it, you'll be dragging your market bag... If it does that, and you still want to use up your stash, maybe you could carry along a size 10 thread with the acrylic and make it less stretchable. They are great bags, though, and I just keep making them and bringing them along wherever I shop. Enjoy! Barbara J. Stuart

• 2 weeks later...
Great job! My only concern with using acrylic yarn (and why I recommend cotton) is that the acrylic may stretch TOO much and before you know it, you'll be dragging your market bag...

I did mine in acrylic and it stretches, but not really all that far--I load tested it with 3 pyrex baking dishes, and here's the stretch I got:

bag4.jpg

For reference, here's the bag with nothing in it:

bag2.jpg

The handle does stretch a bit, but it holds SUPER well and the bag is CRAZY strong. My Mom's been using one as a grocery bag and carries a few gallons of milk in it every week!

Great bag! I'm making more! :hook

MarketBag1.jpg

Here's the first bag I made. I, also, made my bags out of acrylic and they're stretchy but not too much so.

Alas, I tried to take a picture of the second bag but the colors are darker and the lighting is just not right. Maybe tomorrow then.

th_DSCF0002-1.jpg

Here is the one I just finished. My oldest daughters birthday is this Sunday and I have bought her quite a number of smaller gifts. I had planned to purchase a large gift bag to put them all in and decided to make this instead. It was very easy to make and finished pretty quickly too. I followed the pattern except that I left 12 mesh spaces between the ends of the handles and made the handles 32 rows long instead of 20.

It seems to be quite sturdy, since I have filled it with 16 dishes, a jar candle and a bunch of other things and it is holding it all without any problem. It stretches just the right amount in my opinion, not as much as another mesh bag I made, which drags on the ground as soon as I put a couple of things in it. I didn't take a picture of it filled because there isn't anyone home to hold it in a spot light enough for a picture.

All of the bags you people have made are great! I'm so glad that everyone seems to love my pattern as much as I do. The nice thing is that it is easy to adjust for whatever your taste is (more mesh, less mesh, longer handle, etc.). I have about 8 right now that I use all the time and plan on making more for the rest of my family. Barb.

Archived