Tunisian hooks

natalie058

no, it's not the same as a cro-hook. those have hooks at both ends, a tunsian or afghan hook has a hook on one end and a metal stopper like a knitting needle on the other end. i got mine at wal-mart. I've also seen them at hobby lobby and michaels.

~Rebecca

Guest SamplerLady
mmouseplus.gifYou can use a cro-hook for plain tunisian crochet though. I just wrap a rubber band around one end to make a "stopper". That way I don't have to buy two different hooks for basically the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

:cheer2 I just got one of these hooks (aka afghan hooks) from Ebay. It arrived just two days after I submitted payment! :mail I tried it out immediately, and I must say, this could be addicting. It gives a knitted look, but it's still crocheting. I love it!

Since this one is an *H*... I am on the hunt for other sizes as well.

:wink

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found one!! The funniest thing... I'd taken a friend of mine who I'm trying to get into crocheting to JoAnn's, it was like the 4th time I'd been there all week, and I was scanning over the hooks and complaining to her about how I can never find an afghan hook unless it's in a kit (i was trying to get her to buy a kit!) and them BAM right there in front of my face is an afghan hook. A Bates, and I am a Boyd girl, but I snatched it up right away because I have been looking for months now and have not found one! Now, all i have to do is buy some pattern books, and away i go...

I just won some Tunisian Hooks on Ebay. Once they are in my hot little hands... I may have some duplicates.

hmmm.... :idea Perhaps I shall offer them up in the Trade/Swap area.... Would there be any takers? :?

Rebecca! I'll be sure and mail you a list, once I know what I've got for sure. I'm still waiting for the mailman to bring it. :ohdear not that I'm impatient or anything. :hyper

A little bit off topic, but it does have to do with the Tunisian aka Afghan hook. My mom bought me a kit (an American Flag) & the hook and wants me to make this for her. I started, but my problem is it's curling. :worried Is this normal? Or am I doing something wrong. I put it away, but I want to finish it sometime. I'm afraid I'm going to have to pull it all out & start again though. Which really isn't too bad since I've only done 5-8 rows.

Any tips?

Anna

Anna - my practice pieces have all curled. I don't know why that happens. Maybe someone can offer some advice.

:)) Please?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lillian1969

I am addicted to this form of crochet too.When I got mine it only took 15 minutes to learn all the basics,now I am making more stuff than ever

My hook is laying dormant right now because I have no idea what do with it...I have the Stitch Bible and that has several Tunisian stitches, but I don't really want to make a dishcloth and I'm unsure of how to make bigger things with this hook. Do i squish all the loops on, make rows and join them or what? (mine doesn't have those neat cable extensions) Can someone direct me to or suggest a good pattern to start out with? What really brings out the stitch? Any comments at all would be appreciated... I know this is probably not the right place for this...

Archived